What distro?

I can understand that position. You need a community when running community software. Early releases of Red Hat Linux were called Red Hat Commercial Linux . I recall seeing the box in Staples back in the mid to late 90’s. Back then, they were competeing against Windows 95 and 98. It is my opinion, Windows 95 is when it really started to take off. At the time, I was at work using UNIX on a mainframe VAX 9000 by DEC. I went home to Windows 95 or 98 had no problem with either of them.

I won’t discourage new users from exploring other venues. I have read comments about Arch being hard to set up. It can be, if you are doing it step by step from scratch. This is why I recommend Manjaro since it makes Arch Linux more accessible. Red Hat wants paid subscribers to their Linux OS, which is okay by me, but in recent years they appear to getting greedy. This is offending the open source community. I try to steer clear of politics but as the title says, here is the drama behind Open Source and Red Hat.

One might ask, why am I paying for something others give away freely? They offer customer support for their product. In essence, it is the same difference between WINE ( free open source ) and CrossOver ( a paid commercial product with customer support ). Open source programs get rebranded and sold all the time. For example; In the License Agreement of Blender 3D ( open source ), clearly states you can sell it for profit. Most people used it to make video games and videos. However once in a while one could find eBay video and game generators for sale that was nothing more than Blender 3D renamed and packaged on CD.