What do you think would bring eve into a new golden age

For those of us whom started this game on or before 2006. We all paid for the subscription price. For myself all my toons on three accounts could do Industry, PI and mining etc. Three of my toons just needed to books to fly titans, Six of my toons could build capitals and titans etc. Yet with all that investment of time and money I just got tired of a neglected game and a weak management system that could not address basic game issues such as bumping, Mass has an effect dude, calculate its affects. As far as small arms penetrating capital armor and shields, just take a 22 and safely shot at an eight inch hardened plate of steel, there will be no penetration. The game was a good foundation but that foundation was not fleshed out and the magic destroyers swarmed Capital Ships and destroyed them over and over, Broken mechanics abound. The lies from CCP management, what we call in the Plumbing industry, Verbal Blow jobs just pilled up. And those whom got in the game early expanded their influence from null to high sec to basically control the ice and trit harvesting etc. , well played. I just do not have the time to waste on this game. I like millions of others are not joiners but passionate individuals that see the problem. There is no way in hell I would join a group that is so corrupted and vile. And due to the neglect, the only solution to this problem is not to play, Like the game of Therm o nuclear war. SO what is your plan to get the numbers up and butts in the seats, since the game is free, there should be hundreds of thousands of new players just knocking the space dust off of Jitas doors. Why is that not happening? People do not like to associate with walking cancers is why. Deal with it.

2 Likes

:roll_eyes:

You wish.

Stop whining, and maybe someday you’ll get a real one.

1 Like

Now is the time to turn on your #metoo and go and complain to management.

By the way what is your plan to get buts in the seats ? Waiting , Wisdom has no color, race, religion or sex, so lets see what you got. Enlighten Us all how this game is going to come back, Please do. Or just F1 and shut it. No go do your thing you do best.

Delete all safe zones.

No asset safety, no gate guns, no concord, no faction police, no keepstars, no stargates.

Burn the crybaby carebear whiners.

3 Likes

The Spider princess excursions
She started up as a tour operator in Gheth, after all its an open world,

I think those two individuals have probably done more harm to this community than anyone else combined. They do a great disservice to individuals who are trying to get to grips with EVE, because instead of telling people who’ve hit a snag “it’s okay, that’s part of the game, we all went through it” they tell people “that only happened because the game is broken, and it won’t get fixed because CCP doesn’t listen”. I mean what are people supposed to do with that information except… quit?

What’s more, I’ve noticed FirestormCarnage in particular telling players a story of EVE’s past that isn’t even true; it goes something like “older players had an easier time, they didn’t face the same hardships you did, they just have this unfair advantage due to their wealth and knowledge acquired from when the game was easier, and you’ll never catch up to them”.

When I was a brand new player, waaay back in 2004, the most encouraging words I heard were “the ability to take loss in stride is the most powerful weapon you can field in EVE”. I’ve never heard FirestormCarnage impress upon his audience the importance of not flying the things you can’t afford to lose, in fact he says the opposite when he laments that you can “work hard for a nice ship and then lose everything you’ve gained over nothing”. But that’s the wrong mentality, EVE isn’t that type of game, you literally can’t have the “acquisition of blingy stuff” mentality here because even those who fly AT ships do so having accepted the potential for their loss. And y’know it’s funny, I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone lose an AT ship and get salty about it. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that those at the top of this game have such a different attitude about loss versus the highsec carebear whiners who go running off to FirestormCarnage and Olmeca Gold for validation about how losing their ship wasn’t their fault.

Ultimately, at the end of the day, this is just a game, and if you’re going to get this upset/dramatic over it then it may not be for you. None of the mechanics you’ve mentioned have changed in any significant way since day one, there is nothing stopping you from making progress except for yourself and the attitudes you adopt. If that’s not something you’re willing to change, then fine, find a game that suits you better. But it is unreasonable to ask CCP to change their game, the longest running MMO of its type, just because you and a handful of others don’t like it and think it should be easier.

5 Likes

They are both whiners.

It needs to be said. Some people grapple with difficulty and keep going, other people complain, throw a temper tantrum, and quit.

CCP needs to pick a side, trying to please everyone is the path to bankruptcy.

4 Likes

F soccer. That said: What we have here is failure to communicate.

Its painfully obvious the people responding to this OP are the same couple of people who have to territorially piss on every other post that advocates a playstyle different than theirs. Unfortunately for the digital janitor corps, they are so disingenuous theyll habitually and self-righteously spray untruths and inaccuracies while declaiming that in others. (Point in case; it is absolutely true, as the gankfest dawned on the heels of Hulkageddon, the gankers [with CCP clearly in cahoots] indeed called what they were doing content creation and emergent gameplay [which, as a professional BS slinger myself] I thought was hilarious from the standpoint of how obviously a brazen propaganda ploy it was.)

It is an undeniable fact that what has actually emerged is a reputation for this game that is far removed from the position of almost reverant respect it once held, which is now that of it being populated by unimaginative yahoos wholly incapable of activity requiring thought, with a management thats purely apathetic about it. What is also painfully obvious is in selling the game to PA, CCP neatly ducked having to give a flying F about it. Pearl Abyss (ironically appropriate name) just as obviously concerns itself solely with how often these new players use mommys Visa card. (With the house filled with unbridled capitalists here there can hardly be any complaint).

Suffice it to say the content sadly lacking in these vitriolic exchanges is that of the hundreds of thousands who would never pay hard-earned money for the rare honor of being victimized by yahoos here spending their mommys money. But, as long as PA meets the expectations of their profit/loss projections theres nobody (who counts) to care.

Have a nice day!

Agreed…Nefring everything to keep the whiners from comnplaining. It’s pathetic. Ever since the first nerfing they did to ECM, I lost a lot of interest. I strarted EVE because I heard about ECM and wanted to fly a Scorpion…

Oh gawd…what a load of nonsense.

I got ganked once in all my 9 characters in Eve. I lost a poxy little 4m ISK Condor. Big deal. Nobody ever extorted me, even when I went mining in Uedama. Nobody has ever ganked me since, even though I have transported hundreds of millions of ISK worth of clone tags, implants, etc, across Eve. But then I’d like to see someone try ganking my high EHP, fast align, cloak/MWD, ship that I use.

As for high sec corps, I am in one. I have great fun. Plus a lot of the time I just do as I please anyway…there’s nobody cracking a whip for me to do this or that. Who cares about the meta…I am in Eve to shoot stuff, and as long as I can do so that is what matters.

3 Likes

I HAZE RETURNED

Simply untrue.

Then if it’s not worth it, don’t pay. You can of course do it for free. That’s what I do, and I am true solo in dangerous space with an isk-positive killboard. That doesn’t sound bad at all for a free game.

That’s really not how the power rule works according to historical graphs.
And statistics.

Don’t know why you keep bringing this up, it’s a bad idea. This is a game, it doesn’t have to have real physics. Heck, the ships have a Max Velocity which makes absolutely no sense.

But what about surgical strikes? A Ukrainian sniper disabled and destroyed a Russian tank this year with two shots! Also, a fleet of Kikimoras with enough power to kill a capital ship is going to be a very expensive fleet, with a lot of risk involved.

Yeah and what was Uprising?

What is this?

Data says otherwise. The declining playerbase is overwhelmingly due to an aging of the players instead of a complete lack of new players.

Like which games?

Then. Don’t. Play.
You don’t have to be here. My day would certainly be a little more free…

Okay time for a nice political microchasm rant as a response to your entire post (the beginning of which is quoted above).
EVE (and other MMOs) is a very good demonstration on why older people are generally more conservative and younger people generally more progressive in real world politics.
New players want new experiences, places that they can go to without being beaten by veterans by too much. They like variation, and intrigue, and change. They like personal freedoms, and they want to go anywhere they can. New stuff is cool.
Older players have their income streams, a dedicated group of friends, and the nostalgia of the novelty of when they first arrived to this world. Therefore, they are much more resistant to change. They see roles and want new players to fill them (thus limiting personal freedom) to maximize efficiency. Any change can disrupt the income stream, incentivize your friends to move away for greener pastures, and further distance the game from its state when they joined. They remember the friends, the activities, the novelty, and the first fights with nostalgia, and want things to go back to the way they were.
This dichotomy is just as present in real politics, it just happens on a far faster timescale in a video game. Thank you for coming to my TED talk XD

HOLD THE HECK ON did you just villify the #metoo movement? What the heck is your issue? Do you think widespred sexual abuse is not a thing? You think… people just want attention?! How do you justify what you just said? I can’t even think of a way to!
Have a little empathy! I truly hope you didn’t mean what you said, because that’s a pretty big character stain!
I challenge you to a T1 frigate duel in the name of women’s rights and the death of mysogyny!
EVE-mail me to arrange a place and time. I choose the Magnate (Or Griffin, depending on what you choose). I’ll give you that advantage, you go from there. No faction stuff, no friends, just a start-at-0 duel.

You seem to have found the key! The minority who have been ganked and extorted (mostly of their own mistakes/unwise flight plans) are the vocal ones. They don’t wanna play (because they lost a lot of money and that hurts, trust me I know) so they go to the forums to whine so that they might be able to do what they were doing before without getting ganked this time. How noble.

People only post on the forums when they are feeling the EVE bug but don’t want to/can’t play.
I am away from my PC a lot, so I do the forums when I am away and lowsec PVP when I can.

yeah ok I think I am done now any feedback and was there any wrong information here please don’t just insult me try to be constructive ok yeah o7 and stuff

2 Likes

The key is that 90% of the ‘problems’ in Eve are entirely subjective and depend on how a person chooses to play the game and how they respond to adversity. These problems are not intrinsically part of the game…they are part of the player.

3 Likes

That was a long post and some good points but what sexual abuse are you on about, did i miss read something.

The above person said…

And I kinda lost it. Nothing like dehumanizing and villifying people to fit a predetermined “themism”.

If you don’t know about the #metoo movement that was prominent and in the news a bunch in the US about 4 years ago you should look it up. Any explanation I give will likely be at least a little inaccurate.

They did, these whining posts are just the people who are unhappy about it.

What irks me about them is that plenty of people get ahead in this game just fine as it is and none of these complainers ever seem to address that. It’s so selfish and egotistical if you stop and think about it. It’s like they’re saying “I don’t care that all these tens of thousands of people are enjoying this, I need changes to accommodate ME!”.

I wonder what these peoples lives must be like outside of EVE if that’s their attitude. I wonder if they struggle with achieving a sense of fulfillment, purpose, and of achieving meaningful life objectives. The sky is literally the limit in EVE, you can build whole empires and incinerate hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of ships in single epic battles… but these people are turbosadge in highsec because there’s a rare chance of ganking. I just cannot imagine someone so literally tripped up at the first hurdle ever managing to better themselves in any endeavour.

4 Likes

This portion of your post was very well put. A lot of players key their outlook of “what made EVE great” to some nostalgic memory of something they enjoyed 10 years ago, and just want CCP to “put it back to that”.

That won’t work because as you point out, the entire game environment has changed massively. EVE has gone from the “wild wild west, explore and fight to build your own empire in an untamed space” to

“Welcome to Corporate EVE, where everything is known, tested and proven. All careers have been tuned for maximum efficiency. Please download this app, fire up Excel, and watch the training video. Select a corporation or alliance to join so you can progress in EVE along with the players who already own and control everything.”

It is still possible for new players to sign up, compete and progress on their own - but it takes significantly more time and effort for much less (relative) reward than “back in the day”. (Barring a few outlier activities like Abyss.)

EVE is far more about the long-term grind/finding your place to join the status quo, and much less about the exploration and adventure now. This is a common thing for old games so isn’t a design flaw, per se.

The only thing old games can do about this is to either periodically shake up the meta with balance changes (which as you stated, annoys the vets invested in the status quo), or introduce some sort of periodic new content for people to explore/fight over.

CCP has been falling down on the “new content” aspect for almost 15 years now, with a few random spurts of activity along the way. They’d be best off introducing content that can be recycled over and over again (somewhat like crossing Incursions with Abyssals/Resource wars, for instance).

CCP has apparently already tried to “set the game back” with their various Scarcity/Redistribution/Manufacturing passes. It’s failed badly because you don’t fix a game by trying to take away what people have built. You fix it by giving them more reasons to use their resources, not taking those resources away.

5 Likes

Those people fundamentally don’t ‘get’ Eve…so they spend their time whining that there must be something wrong with it. This then develops into an obsession where they spend even more time whining on behalf of an alleged army of malcontents that actually only amounts to just a handful of overly vocal people with endless alts. Meanwhile the rest of us just get on with playing Eve and having fun.

3 Likes

What do I think would bring eve into a new golden age ?

A complete rework of the skill system.
You no longer have to wait or inject to get a skill, but to use the lowers and previouses tiers of items.

For instance : You piloted and used the gallente frigates → you can now pilot the gallente detroyers
You mined a lot of veldspar → you can use veldspar cristals
You piloted and used -a lot- the gallente frigates → you can pilot and use the galente frigates tech 2
You salvaged a lot ? You have more chances to salvage
You researched a lot ? You can now research 2, 3, 4 etc blueprints at once

And et cetera…

This to me would bring eve to a new golden age

It would make people want to play more, to grind more and not to wait.

A lot of friends and I just dont want to play eve even though it is so pleasant to play because of the frustration that comes with it, with not being able to pilot or use things until monthes of waiting.

We are in 2023, just make the game more interactive.

But that’s not only it

It would make people communicate a lot about it on social medias. The views on youtube would explode “how to get to this, strategy to maximise this skill, etc”
Pvp would go crazy as well because people will actually be undocked more than before.

Going into low or nullsec would increase the skill progression ?

Let’s have some fun shall we

o7

1 Like