What do you think would bring eve into a new golden age

How would you measure this?
Undock time? Damage dealt? Damage taken?

There is no way to make this work without there just being people AFK all over the place in every T1 ship imaginable. In addition to making the skill process far more of a headache (especially for the people who only log in once a day for 5 minutes to update their skills and market orders).

It would also make navy ships and T2 ships in a wierd spot. Do navy ships give more SP/sec? Do Pirate ships give SP simultaneously to both factions’ ship level?

How would gunnery or engineering or social skills work? Get 1,000 SP every time you message in chat?
I think we all can see how that would go.

I think it’s a nice thought, but not nicely thought out… right?
Keep coming up with cool ideas like this, because I liked contemplating this.

Not true. One issue with EVE’s game design is that many elements of the game promote a passive approach. “Levelling up” by simply setting your training queue and walking away from the game doesn’t promote engagement with game activities at all. In fact in some cases it can promote disengagement because the player would rather wait until X is trained than play right now.

Some people consider this a great feature of EVE, others consider it a major barrier to more active gameplay.

It only takes a small amount of rational thought to eliminate the ridiculous considerations like “get 1,000 SP every time you chat”. Social skills would be levelled by interactions with agents, not by typing in chat. You wouldn’t level up a ship class by sitting AFK in it - you’d level it by engaging in the activities that ship is designed for: mining, exploring, combat etc.

It also doesn’t have to be an either-or situation: you could still have the skill training queue, and also have a system that either earns points directly onto a skill, or applies an “accelerator” affect to a class of skills for a certain amount of time. Like a “bonus XP” bar in a standard earn-XP MMO; you’d get your base SP from your training queue but bonus XP earned with every tick from your activities.

The upside of the current skill system is nobody feels pressured to play - clone classes all earn XP at a similar rate.

The downside of the current skill system is… nobody feels pressured to play (or rewarded for extra play, at least in regards to skill gain).

CCP damaged the “level SP-gain field” when they came up with injectors and SP sales in order to boost the bottom line. And they nudged into the “rewards for playing more” arena with their various log-in events. So EVE isn’t really pure in any of these aspects anymore.

In the long run though, receiving a certain amount of bonus SP for engaging with the game won’t bring about a golden age. It might encourage some more active gameplay on the part of some players who were previously content to engage more passively.

EVE is less in need of new reward systems (although if well designed they won’t hurt) and much more in need of new and better activities to engage in. Which would also promote more active gameplay.

4 Likes

I see. Kind of like the mastery systems in other games (using Clash Royale as an example here) where the damage needed to increase the mastery level varies between different cards.

The same thing could apply here, but I still think there are ways you could break the system.

Also, requiring people to grind “levels” will I think be overall bad for the game because it leads to burnout. This is a pattern seen often in MMOs. The existence of roles specifically suited to new players (tackle, scout, DPS ship) makes the SP wait much more manageable, and it prevents the negative “I need to train this because I want to fly this ship” mentality.

There was a nice video about this, I can’t remember exactly what it’s called, I think it’s something like “classes of wealth in EVE” or something.

Horrible idea. Hisec PVP is fine as is. what is NOT fine is how miners have been hated and nerfed repeatedly by CCP over the years. It used to be MUCH more risky to try ganking certain barges than it is now.

And before you accuse, I have never ONCE engaged in suicide ganking in hisec. Check my kill record. the only kills you’ll find are in lowsec or lower.

No one cares what griefers like you think.

1 Like

No one cares what griefers like you think.

Can you read? I have never ONCE done that and personally find it distasteful. If you can’t handle a small chance of losing a ship play another game.

I DO believe that currently it is too easy and low risk for hisec gankers. like I said about mining ships, they used to be stronger.

How about you don’t tell me how to live my life, griefer?

1 Like

I wonder why you get griefed so much with a delightful attitude like that, hard to imagine anyone who would want to!

Welcome to my “don’t sell minerals to list” griefer scumbag.

1 Like

i always mining the goode ores first

:melting_face:

and if someon mean on me then i just right click and TRASH

:recycle:

no ship for u greefer scummer

:angry:

2 Likes

I mine my own, and if I need to buy, there are plenty of better people to buy from, who are above the age of 6, unlike you.

1 Like

PSA PSA PSA

Offering a BOUNTY on Astra Dragonstar!

Paying up to 500 million ISK per kill, based on loss value!

1 Like

Just a heads-up that Destiny is one of the forum-PvPers that supports ganking and high-sec PvP (which is fine, of course). While knowing quite a bit about certain aspects of the game, and occasionally posting usefully, unfortunately Destiny’s taken to trolling pretty hard most of the time.

Much like gankers in the game, certain posters are literally only here to get a reaction out of people. Absurd posts, arguing positions directly opposite to their own, derailing threads that don’t follow the “Ganking is Good” agenda… whatever it takes to get a rise out of people.

(Just thought I’d give you an FYI about the baiting you see going on here.)

2 Likes

I like her sarcasm, what else can I say.

Edit; Forgot to add every sport needs a villain! :wink:

1 Like

Imagine being the type of person who’s inherently compelled to patrol the forums like some kind of old-timey lawman to provision other community members with neat little warnings about every “troll” every time they “spot any misbehavior on their watch,” lol. Getting some real cringey middle school hall monitor vibes for sure.

Ain’t gon’ be naw mischief 'round these 'ere parts pardner, no sirree bob I tell you what!

1 Like

1 Like

:nerd_face:

1 Like

Now I understand lol. well if living under a bridge threatening goats is how you have fun, whatever.

Okay no problem, but I was being serious about the bounty though.

1 Like

Did these goats have a mining permit?