What does downtime still do?

Could be habit, could be the respawn of roids and missions. Could be a subtle screw you to the aussies.

m

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t matter what time it lands. Its gonna be an inconvenience to somebody for any global product.

Flip-side argument? Its always happy hour somewhere in the world. So we just roll with it unless they come up with some efficient way of dealing with it that doesnā€™t require redoing the majority of a few ancient systems they maybe lost the programmer notes to over the years.

1 Like

documentation? absolutely. letting your customers see the interworkings of your operation? absolutely not. that just means they will complain more and be backseat drivers to what they think is important. That just creates drama for no reason. It also gives competition an easy glance into what you do, so from a competitive advantage perspective, it makes no sense.

Basically, CCP would gain nothing out of this outside of the dozen nerds who want to dive into code feeling satisfied, while wasting their staffā€™s time and showing competing companies what they do.

This is exactly why you donā€™t have tech staff making business decisions.

1 Like

I agree with everyone who disagrees with Sonya ITT.

2 Likes

There is no need to be obsessed with saving CCP devs some time. :guardparrot:

CCP can care for themselves. :psyccp:

3 Likes

Agreed. They can do that by ignoring ideas like this and focusing on projects that actually add value to the game.

Youā€™ve never actually managed programmers IRL, have you?

a chance for those totally absorbed in the game to use the bathroom? you know, like those Wow people you see on the news.

1 Like

Or the ore.

I think that pretty much covers it. Thread can be closed and locked now.

Oh wait, does that still happen in these new forums ?

Inquiring minds want to know.

DMC

Hopefully not as much.

1 Like

As per ISD from the Rookie Help Chat said earlier this year:

• asteroid respawning
  • space junk removal
  • solarsystem boundary moderation
  • sov tasks
  • outpost creation (not anymore)
  • market tasks
  • api data tasks
2 Likes

Even if downtime does not do anything anymore (Iā€™m sure itā€™s not the case anyway, see node redistribution and DB backups), itā€™s really handy to have a window of time where the server is expected to go down so you can do some maintenance without having everyone screaming ā€œoh god itā€™s down someone do somethingā€ wile their "work"flow is being broken.

Tl;dr better plan too much than having to emergency shutdown too much.

1 Like

Netflix streams movies. It can be restarted without you knowing because there are buffers (per region so not the 1 minute or so buffer on your pc/tablet/phone/ā€¦) of everything for almost an hour. That way the server can restart and you wouldnā€™t even know. Now this is static data streamed (yes, even ā€œliveā€ is delayed at least 30 minutes) . EVE online has more than 2 people connected simultanous and every change of data must be send from client, processed by server and sent to other client (if in the same ā€˜zoneā€™) so buffering that is impossible.

I could spend weeks explaining each and every example as you assume without the use of google; of which you clearly state it wasnā€™t down before you posted.

All that aside, what is your agenda? Why does the downtime of just a few minutes bother you so much? You are very elusive about why you want downtime gone.

1 Like

This mechanics for belts is primitive. We already have spawning ore sites anomalies and ice fields anomalies.

And I dont know why these asteroid belts are looking like fairy rings in space. Someone had to be high or it was a joke that they passed thru for everlasting laughs.

1 Like

Honestly, no agenda. Itā€™s something CCP has declared as a goal at one point, so thereā€™s curiosity about progress. The technical team does the most interesting work, or at least they put out the most interesting dev blogs. The reason I bring it up now in particular is because Iā€™ve seen a few people recently mention that they think removing downtime would increase the cost of losing a big fleet fight. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s true, but I am in favor of more stuff getting destroyed, but regardless Iā€™m mostly just following up on DT removal as a proposed feature.

1 Like

What about the Dev team changing shifts? Who gets to go home and who does what when they get thereā€¦ maybe?

1 Like

Ok,

I like to see more stuff destroyed too :slight_smile:
Removing downtime would not change much in my opinion as within 5 minutes you can log back in. What it does do is remove about 65% of the ā€˜activeā€™ players for MANY HOURS. So the restart is actually a nice way to help players that forgot to log out. Unless people get annoyed by having to relog their 200 cloaked shipsā€¦ Iā€™ll check how itā€™s in Jita (and other trade hubs) as most of the posters there are actually macros and not players.

1 Like

Dev team change donā€™t only happen on downtime. That would require them to do shifts of ~24 hoursā€¦

[quote=ā€œSonya_Corvinus, post:26, topic:8873ā€]
Youā€™ve never actually managed programmers IRL, have you?
[/quote]lol sonya cancel eve vegas
cancel fanfest
cancel christmas
programmers need to learn their place
and that is at their desks working

1 Like

Frequent reboots are also useful in that they allow slow memory leaks to be ignored.

2 Likes