What happened to player bounties?

Personally I never liked the old bounty system.

I would have been much happier with it had the game mechanic behind placing a bounty on someone been firmly linked to in game activities, for example criminal and/or PvP activity.

As it was, lots of pilots had various abstract bounties placed on them by other players, to grief them, for fun, and sometimes for some no specific reason at all and as such it all became a bit meaningless.

If the bounty system reflected the type of activity that pilots had indulged in, and the type of interaction that theyā€™d had with other pilots, then it might be a bit more meaningful.

My security rating, broadly speaking, is pretty high because of the type of stuff that I do. If commit an aggressive act towards another pilot, or steal their stuff, scam them, or declare war against their corp, then the option to place a bounty is entirely appropriate.

If weā€™ve had no interaction other than them seeing my name and having some spare ISK lying around and feeling bored enough to lay a bounty, randomly on me, then itā€™s not.

Simplified: there ought to be a trigger of some kind tghat makes it an option, in a similar way to kill rights being made available to you.

1 Like

Why should YOU determine what is a valid reason for a bounty? Shouldnā€™t we allow emergent content, and players can decide for themselves whom to bounty?

2 Likes

After reading Aikoā€™s replies, it seems that the intention of the bounty system did include being used as a contract system to eliminate rivals rather than just punish those already attracting kill-rights.

I wasnā€™t suggesting that I should decide at all.

What I was suggesting that there ought to be a rationale and a game mechanic behind the reason as to why a bounty might be placed - an aggressive act like ganking for example, or stealing their stuff, scamming them, or a war declaration against their corporation.

What I donā€™t think is appropriate, is to have a bounty system that is completely abstract and fairly random.

1 Like

EVE should be an open system in which players are allowed to do as they wish. Thatā€™s the whole point of an MMO, with emergent content.

If players want to place bounties on you, for any reason at all, that is their right. You should not try to predetermine what is an appropriate or inappropriate reason.

It sounds to me like you are salty about having a bounty placed on you, and when the bounty system returns, I intend to place a bounty on YOU.

1 Like

And this kind of trollish, idiotic, sociopathic and random behaviour from misanthropic members of CODE and other associated filth is exactly why I wrote what I did.

Et quid mirum, quod scripsit vobis, quod vos fecistis.

Why do you think you are too good for bounties?

You think you should just be shielded from PvP?

1 Like

This is why Iā€™m putting a bounty on you. Itā€™s not random. Itā€™s personal.

I want you dead, and I will pay anyone who kills you.

You have a bad attitude, and deserve punishment.

Praise Aiko!

3 Likes

Iā€™m not going to respond to your last post Aiko Danuja because inā€™s utterly inane and I donā€™t really want to feed an obvious troll.

Just a question though, since youā€™re based in ā€œPyongyang, Democratic Peopleā€™s Republicā€ (of Korea) would you like to explain to the rest of us how you manage to play EVE?

Iā€™m pretty certain that the human rights situation in that country, combined with the availability of technology and the level of open access to the web, wouldnā€™t permit most people to play EVE. So whatā€™s the gig? Are you Kim Jong-un? One of his lackeys?

Or is this just a witty strapline.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

So funny.

:mouse:

Pretty sure sheā€™s part of the diplomatic mission to DPRK, being of Austrian royal descent.

Also, I really miss my bounty. I had a natural bounty of a few hundred million from all the wars I did, and itā€™s now gone. :cry:

5 Likes

I really hope theyā€™re just reworking the bounty system and didnā€™t remove it for good. I like knowing anyone can put a bounty on my head for whatever reason and that I can do the same. It adds to the feeling of uncertainty in a world constantly at war.

Without responding to trolls, hereā€™s a quote from a brilliant American artist, Jenny Holtzer.

Psychologically it is a fact that the way you interact with people online has an incremental affect on your real life psyche and can lead to fundamental and profound changes in the way that you interact with people in real life.

You can choose to live in the light as a Jedi, or can can be seduced by the dark side and join the SIth.

The choice is yours to make, personally, I choose the light.

My heroes in Eve will always be people like @Chribba. Trolls donā€™t worry me at all, I just feel slightly sad for them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. Iā€™ll be a Sith Lord as soon as all my skills are done training.

ā€œUltimate POWAAAA!!!ā€

You would say that of course. Even though itā€™s not true.

Yoda:
Yes, a Jediā€™s strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wanā€™s apprentice.

Luke:
Vaderā€¦ Is the dark side stronger?

Yoda:
No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

Luke:
But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

Yoda:
You will knowā€¦ when you are calm, at peace, passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Like I said, I choose the path of light, both in EVE and in real life.

True?
Like Jediā€™s are real or something ?

Guys, come on, I just want to have a dialogue with CCP and ask whatā€™s up with player bounties. Can we please have them back, and let CCP know that some of us like this feature and want to see it repaired. Take your Star Wars nerdery elsewhere.

3 Likes

You say youā€™re not responding to people, but yet here you are in the thread

Iā€™m not a S.W fan. I like to make fun of it.

2 Likes

insofar as the basis for the fictional Jedi was closed linked to real world concepts of things like Zen as well as Taoism and Buddhism, they are, in a way.

Aside of this, as previously stated, psychologically, the choices that you make and the way that you choose to play can have negative and/or positive incremental effects on your real life psyche and can lead to fundamental and profound changes in the way that you interact with people in real life.

Please feel free to disbelieve me on this one if you like, but Iā€™d urge you to read the science and then make your own mind up.

The Association Between Video Gaming and Psychological Functioning

The Impact of Video Games on the Players Behaviors

The Association Between Video Gaming and Psychological Functioning

Do video games make people violent?

1 Like