What is a safe spot

What defines a safe spot?

A I didn’t in assuming it’s just a place that is difficult to find and not an actual area that is safe?

For example in the tutorial you are told that there is a safe spot near by and it was just an asteroid belt.

A safe spot is a bookmark in a system that you can warp to but other players can’t find without using combat probes.

They should not be on the “main highway” i.e. don’t create one when flying between 2 gates.

To create one, open “people and places” in your Neocom and click “add location” while warping - it will create a bookmark called “spot in solar system” that you can re-label.

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Safe_spots

3 Likes

Thanks, @Do_Little, it makes sense how people can quickly escape now.

also: ctrl + b is the keyboard shortcut to make bookmarks.

They are very much worth the trouble of making.

2 Likes

Don’t share the safe spot bookmarks with anyone. Not even friends, they may not have the intention of sharing it with others, but if they accidently share it with someone (for example, staying at one long enough to be scanned down), it can still get you killed!

2 Likes

This game is point-and-click; you HAVE to pick from a list (of planets, stations, asteroid belts, or your own saved locations) in order to initiate warp and go. AND, your ship has engine trails, which provide a very nice line that points out exactly where you went, when you warp out. It’s very clear to every pirate or war enemy that you went to planet x, station y, or asteroid belt z, when you warp out, because your engine trails form a bright blue line that points directly to the icon of your destination planet, station, gate, or belt.

You have the ability to “save” YOUR location in space, as a “bookmark”. When you do this in the middle of warping across the solar system, the resulting location is called a “safespot” because it’s not near any obvious planets, stations, stargates, or asteroid belts, so your enemies have to use probes to locate your ship. Takes them about 30 seconds, so it helps to have a cloaking device so you can cloak up as soon as you arrive at your safespot. Otherwise, if you don’t have a cloaking device, you need to warp out of the safespot, and to a new safespot, every 30 seconds or so.

As explained above, a safe spot is a bookmark (as in a line in the people & places folder) that ONLY you know and can warp to.

That said, there a good safe spots and very bad safe spots.

A bad safe spot is:

1. Very close to a celestial (within 1 AU of a planet or the sun) – Someone warping between celestials will eventually notice you on d-scan, and then keep reducing his d-scan range until he does not see you. This will tell him within a few seconds that you are extremely close to that planet, which tells him he can drop his combat probes in a 1 AU formation (as opposed to a much larger formation) right on top of you. Launch, scan, pullback. Even if you are regularly clicking d-scan, if they only need a single scan to lock you down you need to be lucky to see those probes.

2. Inline between two celestials – Someone hunting you may warp to one celestial and then do a narrow angle d-scan towards another celestial. If you happen to be within that line, he will spot you. He will then keep on reducing and increasing his d-scan range until he has you, for example, between 6.7 and 6.8 AU. (For the mathematically minded, it’s called a bisection search, it takes about 7 d-scans, or 7 seconds…) At that moment, he will look at the d-scan cone in his scanning window, and can drop probes in a 0.5 formation right on top of it. Launch, scan, pullback. As above, even if you are regularly clicking d-scan you need to be lucky to see those probes. If they do not have combat probes, it is even possible to warp between those two celestials, dropping bookmarks, and get a bookmark grid with you that way. I’ve done it a few times, with practice it takes a few minutes.

A good safe spot is:

1. Over 14.3 AU from any celestial, that way no one will see you on d-scan when they are near celestials.
  2. Not inline between two celestials. First make two bookmarks halfway between (distant!) planets, then make a safest in-between those two bookmarks.

Ideally:
Make use of missions, distant anomalies, incursion sites, anything that’s “way out there” to make a bookmark that is FAR outside of the convex hull of the celestials (i.e. a BM that is impossible to reach, or even see, by warping between celestials, or by warping between bookmarks created between celestials, etc…) I have a few systems where I have bookmarks 20 or 30 AU above the celestial plane… unless people accidentally place their combat probes there, they will not even realise I’m there. Even then, they would probably have to use a lot of scans (as opposed to the single scan finds described above) to find me, meaning I spot them and can warp off.

3 Likes

short reply

a point in space that is not directly in between 2 celestial objects (includes gates, npc’s & beacons)

Op, don’t stop at going to one celestial. Go to several if you think at all anybody might have seen your first trajectory. Sometimes it might be useful to you to keep warping around.

Also also: f11 opens up the system map which is very useful/

Some ships have faster warp speeds than others. It’s entirely possible for someone to see you make trails to your first planet, order his ship to warp to the same planet, and arrive BEFORE you do. Then they can continue the attack and/or see your second destination / planet.

1 Like

True provided one has not bothered to go into the display and graphics tab of the esc menu and unchecked (turned off) the trails option.

I’d guess that only affects your screen, not other people’s screen settings.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.