What should the Republic do regarding the unrest in Amarr/Khanid?

Well, yes.

My point was, with the current situation, the Imperial Navy can do nothing except grr and swing at anchor, because starships are ill-suited to pacifying rioting slaves on planets you wish to keep. Meanwhile the Imperial Army is tied up on suppression campaigns.

But should the Republic do something in an official capacity, then suddenly the Imperial Navy has something to do - reprisal raids on Republic space infrastructure, commerce raiding against Republic shipping & their space economy, for example. And the Imperial Army would then be under pressure to end things on the ground quickly, such that offensive ground actions could be undertaken against Republic worlds.

So the Republic should officially do nothing.

Well, nothing except for condemning those obviously rogue elements who understandably but unsanctionedly are prolonging the planetside insurgencies. Typing slave, is unsanctionedly a word ? Not in the thesaurus you say ? Well, put it in anyway. Weā€™ll create a new word.

Tighten sanctions. Open up trade with the State as much as possible. Use political pressure directly and through CONCORD to make slavery an economic anchor, dragging the Empire down. And buy more bullets.

3 Likes

The real MICE acronym is Money, Ideology, CONSCIENCE, EGO.

Wouldnā€™t hurt to exploit this chaos for our gain. Not in some dramatic ā€˜letā€™s just blow their planets upā€™ nonsense but I imagine the worlds dealing with this are ripe targets for liberation moves and such to reclaim our bound brothers and sisters.

There are ways to twist the knife without going full war.

Considering where the worlds in question are (in at least 2 cases, 3 jumps out of Amarr itself), there isnā€™t much room for ā€˜liberation movesā€™ short of full war.

4 Likes

In a similar spirit, the Matari could let go of ties to distant relatives in the Empire and focus on seeing to the needs of those who are already free.

But Iā€™m not sure either of these ideas is good for much but scoring points.

The thing is, I actually think your Republicā€™s current stance is a pretty good one for you. Pressureā€™s kept up, little victories are won here and there, strategies get adjusted to account for events, long games get played by all sides, and history gets made without going and exploding it all.

This seems to be an unpopular idea over there, but, I also canā€™t help but notice that House Sarumā€™s mighty popular among capsuleers over here. Maybe weā€™re not sophisticated analysts for policy. Maybe weā€™re basically a bunch of hammers seeing the whole world as a forest of nails to pound in.

Maybe our national leaders would be fools to listen to us.

Patience is hard and unsatisfying. That doesnā€™t make it a mistake.

3 Likes

Patience when you are slowly losing every day is a mistake, though. Patience is only a virtue when you are waiting to win in the end.

1 Like

Itā€™s not clear to me that youā€™re actually losing, though, Else. It might be pretty easy to feel like youā€™re losing when what youā€™re actually doing is getting frustrated.

Of course if you accept Miz and Arrendisā€™s suicidally moralistic argument that the Empireā€™s a pit of utter atrocity that must be ended at once and at all cost, you really do lose, every day. Miz doesnā€™t claim to be much of a strategist, though. (I wonā€™t say the same of Arrendis, but Iā€™m also not sure she fully believes her own rhetoric.)

Whatā€™s it they say about brilliant tactics with no strategy? ā€œThe slowest way to lose?ā€

This isnā€™t a conflict thatā€™ll be helped a lot by getting highly tactical and crying ā€œFOR THE FUTURE!ā€ while losing track of any realistic path for getting there.

Oooph, so close and yet swing and a miss. You are perfectly well aware that the argument is not that the Empire must end. Itā€™s that it must be changed, and that isnā€™t going to happen from within, when everything within it is designed to maintain the status quo at absolutely all cost to the point of including the rest of the universe in it.

That it is a pit of utter atrocity is not in question though. That is inescapable fact. Literal trillions held as slaves, woman. You are not so deficient that you can honestly argue that isnā€™t an atrocity.

1 Like

Or maybeā€¦ and I know this is crazy talkā€¦ weā€™re human beings, and we have different strengths and weaknesses, instead of being some kind of homogenized paste you spread on the inside of a pod. Some of us are better as hammers, some of us are actually better as analysts.

Iā€™ve never claimed the Empire must be ended at all cost. Iā€™ve said that there is no scenario where theyā€™re not an existential threat to literally everyone else, so long as their divine mandate exists. Iā€™ve said theyā€™re corrupt to the core, and evil. Iā€™ve said it would be good if what they are now were utterly destroyed. Iā€™ve even said that at times it feels like itā€™d be preferable to just start the damned war already. But ā€˜at all costā€™ is an extremely broad set of carte blanche to issue.

Which is kinda why Iā€™ve not only said that there isnā€™t much room for ā€˜liberationā€™ in Thebeka and Alkabsi short of full-on war, but also that the Republic shouldnā€™t use this as a pretext for war, in this very thread where youā€™re presenting me as having some other position.

1 Like

The reasoning is this:

The Militia wars are, essentially, a war of attrition. Resources are used in it, by capsuleers in space, and by groundside too when extended space control makes it possible, to ā€œwinā€ systems and to establish control of the warzone.

In a war of attrition, even if both sides lose equally, the smaller side loses more relative to what they have. The power balance shifts, slowly but certainly. And the Republic is much, much smaller than the Empire.

Like Arrendis and Miz, I am not saying ā€œwe must fight at any costā€. But as things stand, we will have to fight, some time. And every day we stay in the status quo makes us less likely to win in the end.

So let it burn. Because it will burn, and the later it starts, the worse it will be.

6 Likes

Maybe. But Iā€™m not sure I trust my own insight as to the way forward not to get larded with stuff Iā€™d kind of like to do anyway. Thereā€™s some stuff that keeps popping up in my head I kind of have to keep squashing.

Maybe thatā€™s just me.

Fair enough. It can be hard not to see your position and Mizā€™s as ā€¦

ā€¦ hard to distinguish. Especially since you seem perfectly happy to accept ā€¦

ā€¦ Iā€™ll concede thereā€™s a little daylight between you and that poor fool, though.

Just, eventually all the demonization starts feeling kind of samey, you know?

Whether thatā€™s significant, though, depends on a lot of other factors, including whether the two sides do in fact lose equally and also how significant the losses are relative to the full pools of resources available.

To me it seems like your long-term strategic issues have less to do with the pendulum war and more to do with relative spending on military versus infrastructure. Isnā€™t your current leader kind of famously hawkish regarding the Empire? I wonder if thatā€™s whatā€™s kept Malaetu Shakor from following through in the ways you seem to badly want him to.

Iā€™d expect such a person to have a more thorough understanding of the realities in play than we can get. And apparently whatever those realities are have given him cause for caution.

He doesnā€™t have any power anymore. Converting the Republic into a tribal nation was one of his big goals, but that goal entailed him losing all political power he had. Anything that will happen, will be by the decision of the chiefs on the tribal council.

ā€¦ huh. So heā€™s just a figurehead who does stuff like attend Imperial coronations?

Else? Confirm?

Like what? You never know, you might have something in there with potential.

The Sanmatarā€™s executive power is limited to more or less representing the decisions of the Tribal Council, and being one of the people who can talk to them directly. He could take the reins of central power again in an emergency, but doing so, as I understand it, triggers either an immediate vote of no-confidence or flat out removes him from the position after a set interval. I forget which.

1 Like

Hard to say actually, what with how the Tribal Council is arranged as is. It is not exactly transparent.

I try not to put trying to be a decent person in tension with keeping promises and not making idle threats, Arrendis. Revenge is cyclical. If Iā€™m my best self, Iā€™ll be one who breaks the cycle, not just another turn of the wheel.

More often than not, Aria, the technical term for the person who breaks that cycle is ā€˜casualtyā€™.

Iā€™m aware, and Iā€™m fine with that. My lifeā€™s not so important. There are things Iā€™d rather make you kill me than let you do without having to.

Only Gallente think conscience and ego are better motivators than Caldari conceptions of coercion and emotion/empathy.