What to expect with 64-bit EVE CLIENT?

Bundle in feline ears and this is a sure fire money printing sale.

3 Likes

32 bit client jump jump jump jump jump 64 bit client jump jump jump jump. We can all use one less jump to spam. :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

I’ll be interesting to see how multiboxing will improve or be messed up Royal Lee the 64-bit client I mean I have the total Hardware to run it besides the graphic card I’m only at 1050 I think they would have 1060

It won’t really change, other than requiring a 64bit OS to run instead of a 32bit OS, the added overhead will be pretty small and the only real change is going to be an increase in RAM that can be used by each individual client, not that i have ever personally seen a client max out the 4GB limitation without suffering from a memory leak to begin with

you get to see what it’s like to not be living in 2003 anymore

1 Like

Thing is for the vast overwhelming majority of use cases there isn’t actually going to be any difference, unless you’re doing extremely intensive number crunching or working with datasets that require massive amounts of memory the change from x86 to x64 won’t actually matter, all the heavy lifting for EVE is done serverside, the client just renders the results

And here is you, dispelling all those wet dreams of CCP devs and EVE players around the world, christmas time. :partying_face::wink:

1 Like

Oh there is nothing to dispel for CCP, they already know the client change won’t really matter, the server has been x64 for a long time now so the heavy lifting is already working fine, and the day doesn’t really matter in regards to pointing out facts :stuck_out_tongue:

64-bit client means a lot more stuff can be done client-side by making available more memory (>4GB) to the program. Won’t make much of a difference immediately, but future updates can make use of it (such as more complex environments, client based (cosmetic) physics rendering, and more textures/skins can be displayed at one time for example.

64-bit client means we will finally get BBIS (Bouncing Boobies in Stations).

God bless our Korean overlords :grinning:

1 Like

More stuff like what exactly, all the calculations need to be done server side, what physics need to be rendered, all the ships have rigid models, are you expecting to somehow break off parts of asteroids? :stuck_out_tongue:

Remember the two clients still need to be functionally identical and there really aren’t any cosmetic changes that would benefit from moving to x64, again the client isn’t being bottlenecked by only being 32bit, textures are loaded in to GPU memory anyway and you can already load a fleets worth of textures and skins in to VRAM, the 4GB limitation only applies to the actual main system memory used by EVE, that doesn’t include the stuff loaded by the GPU, have you even seen an EVE client hit the 4GB limit yet without it suffering from a memory leak?

I mean its cool to say “Oh look it gets access to more RAM” but when it doesn’t actually need that RAM its still kind of a moot point :stuck_out_tongue:

A 64 bit client opens the doors for a lot of potential in the future, but until the 32-bit client is phased out the most you’ll probably see is some basic enhancements.

But in the future, a 64 bit client does make it a bit easier to add features like planetside/moonside landings and operations. :wink:

Being 32 or 64 bit will have literally zero impact on if those features could be added, are you honestly trying to say there are zero 32bit games that can do any of these things right now? :stuck_out_tongue:

People seem to think 64bit means more than it actually does, but thats because the messaging has always been that it improves things

The nintendo 64 technically had a 64bit CPU and ran 64bit code, x64 really isn’t a new concept by any means and windows has supported it since 2003, the change from 32 to 64bit on the server side helped a lot, but on the client you’re really not going to notice a lot of change outside of the client being allowed, on paper, to access more than 4GB of RAM per client process, but as the client doesn’t even really need that much memory its a fairly moot change, with all the calculations and physics being handled by the server, the client is essentially just a “dumb terminal” to render what the server is simulating, and much like most remote terminals, you really don’t need a lot of power on the client end :stuck_out_tongue:

No, that’s not what I’m saying. At all.

I’m saying that having 64-bits of precision makes adding such features a hell of a lot easier and more performant. I’m not even talking about graphics, just precision.

Can you do it in 32 bits? Sure. There’s a whole mess of tricks of the trade to simulate larger worlds. This game employs a bunch of them. That doesn’t mean they’re easy or trivial. But with 64-bits of precision, well perhaps a demonstration.

If you were to use 32 bits of precision to represent the distance in meters from the sun, you’d only make it about 7% of the way from the sun to mercury before you’d lose precision and need to resort to other means for accurately tracking distance.

If you were to do the same thing using 64 bits, you would have to travel approximately 1950 light years before you had to lose precision, which is about 500 light years farther than the Orion nebulae.

One of these is clearly easier to use.

I am already afraid.

“Its easy, even fool can do it!” and then we will get stupid ideas implemented. At astonishingly fast pace.

Point is, there is no need to simulate an entire world or anything of that size, how massive do you think each area is going to be before you’re forced to instance them just because the server can’t process it all fast enough, why do you think systems are broken down as instances despite being 64bit themselves, in terms of gaming it adds nothing as developers are always going to free up resources that they aren’t using instead of just throwing data in to memory just because they “can”, yes i am more than aware of the things that can be done on paper, but the reality of it is that nothing is really going to use it and every game will only render what it needs to render, the client itself doesn’t do any calculations, the server is doing the simulating, so switching the client over makes no difference, it won’t help them add features because again, the server is in charge of everything and the client is only rendering it

In reality nothing will change in regards to the EVE client other than it dropping the (32 bit) under task manager

Any features that are added are going to be controlled by the server, if this were a single player game without a server to handle everything then you might have a valid point, but the EVE client is just a glorified video streaming client

What to expect? Well, I expect CCP is winning the Bit War now. Seems Sega and Nintendo are clearly beaten!

Moving the client to 64bit will allow it access more memory and make it more stable, i think the servers are already running 64bit code so i dont think we will see any other improvements.

9 more months of chat issues…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.