What would be a good beginner friendly ship for fightning combat anaomlies in null sec?

im searching for a guiding hand for a ship/ship fitting for doing pve content in null sec, vs guritas pirates, what would be best to use as a beginner friendly vs combat anaomlies in null sec vs guritas pirates :slight_smile:

I’m an industrialist, so be sure to have a large grain of salt with this…I’m also hoping some other salty pilot will look at my advice, call me an idiot, and teach me something new.

Beginner-friendly and Nul-sec don’t overlap much. If I were building a fit from scratch, I would probably focus on weapons that do not require ammunition (e.g. lasers), try to find a hull with low signature radius and high sensor strength, and tune your damage types to Guristas.

Active tank tends to be more effective, in my experience, but drains capacitor. I don’t know if you can hang in null-sec without being at least somewhat prepared for PvP.

Assuming you play Caldari, who are the natural enemies of gurista, the Cerberus. If you can’t use it, the Caracal. The Cerberus receives a bonus to kinetic damage, which is what guristas happen to be weak against. Always use Scourge ammunition when facing Guristas

[Caracal, Kitchensink Caracal]
Ballistic Control System II
Missile Guidance Enhancer II

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Large Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
Large Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II
Multispectrum Shield Hardener II

‘Arbalest’ Heavy Missile Launcher

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I

Caldari Navy Hornet x2

It shoots about 100km (with max skills), but can lock targets only within 70km, so you can just open fire at whatever you can target. You can have up to 250dps with t1 missiles and almost 300 with caldari navy, but in the long run, we want to swap the launchers for T2 ones because Fury missiles have more dps and… …well, because t2 missiels are less expensive.

If you can’t fit by constrains…

• Powergrid: first, flip the Missile Guidance Enhancer for a Power Diagnostic, which provides some extra powergrid, ehp, regen, capacitor and capacitor regen at the expense of losing some damage application on small or fast targets. If that doesn’t help, try swapping the Power Diagnostic with a Reactor Control Unit which provides more powergrid then the PD, but doesn’t provide the other bonuses the PD does. If that’s still not enough, downgrade a large shield extender to a medium shield extender… The meta medium extender is expensive, so just use the T2 instead.

• CPU: Flip the Missile Guidance Enhancer for a Co-Processor or downgrade the Shield Hardeners to Compact Multispectrum Shield Hardener or both

• Capacitor: The tank always needs to be running, and the afterburner is part of the Tank. If the fit is not capacitor stable, try flipping the Missile Guidance Enhancer for a Power Diagnostic and if that’s not enough downgrading the Shield Hardeners for Enduring Multispectrum Shield Hardener and if that’s still not enough flipping the shield hardeners for a Thermal Shield Amplifier and a Kinetic Shield Amplifier, which are passive so you can’t forget to turn them on, but will provide no resist bonus to some of the smaller rats in the anomalities that use Explosive or EM ammunitions

Strategy:

• Belt Ratting: warp within 30km to the warp-in beacon, and try to manouver to keep the rats in Range but at more then 30km to you. Load Faction Ammo and deploy Drones if there’s elite frigates. You recognize the elites by their name starting with Dire. Some of the elite frigates have warp disruptors and all of them have high shield resistance and good active regeneration, which means our counter-cruiser missiles are kind of not so great on them, while they have the ability to lock us down on the belt. If you don’t have Faction Ammo on the Ship, just warp out. If you notice the Presence of a Capital NPC, which sometimes spawns in nullsec belts, or if you notice the presence of a NPC with a Diamond in it’s name, immediately warp out. Even though they’re miners, unlike their human operated counterparts, they’re not afk :wink:
    Once you’re familiar with all the spawn types that exist in the belts, you might want to research the term belt rat chaining, which refers a technique to cause more of your favourite NPCs to spawn, so you can farm more of those that you like … and most likely you like the “drops a lot of loot” types and the “pays a lot of bounty” types a lot more then you like the “has a warp disruptor, web, ECM and is hard to clap” types

• Anomalities: Go for lvl3 / lvl4, the fit should be able to do lvl5, too, but it’ll just take ages to clear the site, so let’s stick to the lvl3 and lvl4 sites. Warp in at 50km, select an object in the middle of the site and rotate it at 50km distance (orbit at current distance) with the Afterburner engaged. Anomaly rats have more ehp but less active repairs and are slower and have poorer ewar compared to their Asteroid Belt counterparts, but if there’s too many frigates reload faction ammo and also assign your drones on them. The faction ammo generally does more damage to anything cruiser or smaller, but is more expensive. Once you can use T2 launchers, shoot at Battleships and Battlecruisers with Scourge Fury, and at the Cruisers, Destroyers and Frigates with either Faction or Precision Scourges. Precision’s cheaper and has more damage application, but it also has lower range

If you ever take armor damage, warp out.

The Guristas use both long-range missiles (like the Caracal does) and Railguns, with some of them also using Blasters. Blasters have nice damage but extremely short range, so just blow the blasterboats up before they close to you. Unlike player-operated suicide destroyers in Highsec, which also are Blasterboats, the Gurista Blasterboats don’t have propulsion modules and are therefore slow enough for you to wreck them before they get into range.

Cruise Missiles naturally deal poor damage to a Cruiser, but if the cruiser is moving, they inflict even less. And if it’s afterburning, the damage inflicted by Cruises is more or less neglectible. Railguns … are painful, so let’s not get hit. About the frigate based ones, nothing can be done, but the railguns mounted on cruisers and battleships can be outmanouvered by simply moving tangential to them, and chances that’s good enough increase when the afterburner is engaged.

Always have the Afterburner engaged. Consider it to be a part of your tank

4 Likes

Drone boats are often used for PvE due to the everlasting ‘ammo’ (as long as the drones don’t die) and the ease of use because agressive drones automatically attack a lot of targets.

Vexor is a nice first ship, Myrmidon next and finally a Gila or Ishtar. You will regularly see those last two when travelling through null sec.

Belt ratting in null sec in an Algos is how I started.

What would a good fitting for Gila look like?

I recommend you start in a Vexor and lose a couple of those before you try a Gila. Gilas are significantly more expensive.

For fits I always go to zkillboard, open a bunch of dead versions of the ship, filter out the fits that seem to be used for other purposes, find a few variations to see what kind of choices I have and then add a few of those variants to Pyfa to see if I can improve on them.

For a Gila fit, from the top of my head I’d say:
Medium drones of the right type against your enemies (Guristas, that’s caldari drones I guess?).

Mids: 10mn afterburner, large shield extenders, multispectrum hardener and a hardener versus the local rat damage.

Lows: drone damage amplifiers, maybe a damage control

Rigs: shield extension, purger and/or specific shield resists to plug your hole against the local rats.

High: drone range and medium missiles

1 Like

Nullsec alliances that train new players have already done the work for you - Ratting progression for new players from Brave Collective:
https://wiki.bravecollective.com/public/dojo/vexor-newbro-edition

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.