What would you change in Eve if you could

Only way I want multi player ships is mini AT style tourneys monthly on Sisi for prizes and braggin rights. 1v1s or 2v2s maybe 3v3s.

No alts. Main characters only.

16 Likes

The whole intel gathering/cloacking/espionage framework, first of all. I’m long time fan of such kind of activities and specializations, and find its implementation in Eve extremely lackluster. Except for being a social engineer kind of spy, you have almost zero other tools and mechanics to play as one. I’ve submitted my suggestions on how to reform local and intel gathering/spying activities here and here, if somebody may be interested to review.

In addition to this, cloacking must also be re-designed in such way it won’t anymore grant a total invulnerability, there must be a constant competition of skill and motivation between cloacked spying vessel and those who want to hunt it down, so it won’t ever be safe by sitting in one place for a while. New kind of probes allowing to scan down sitting still cloacking ships, some module allowing to get a hint where on your grid cloacker may be, a certain locations on the solar system map where you can hide and become immune to some of those new tools while cloacking - but at the price that your hunters may easily guess you are there, and just come to your grid, using more precise and hard to avoid tools, while blocking all exits from there (as you can’t leave it except from moving through one of several jump gates, and you get a constantly updated capsuleer timer while you stay there, so you can’t just log off either) etc etc etc The main idea is that it must become an active gameplay, not a retarded contest of who will bore who to death first by afking while cloacked/docked.

Then, I would do something with PvE and exploration of space in particular. Imo the later should be one of the core aspects of space game at any time. And after initial addition of wh space, there is little of progression here, and there is little to explore in wh, those systems ended up as another (though much more interesting) space to grind for resources and money. No thrilling discoveries there, no hidden secrets - well, at least if you play as a lone space pioneer, or a small group of such, without heavy machinery to take out sleepers and drifters. I know that CCP’s design philosophy reads “no theme park gameplay, PvP brings all variety and excitement instead”, but I can’t see this approach working this well at all. And somebody still have to do PvE, otherwise who’ll be buying PLEXes to provide isks for those who hate PvE? There is no reason for those PvE guys to suffer boring, simplistic, chore-like activities for hours.

Regarding exploration, I had some thoughts of even more hardcore, deep space locations accessible from deepest wh space, which are dynamically re-generated on regular basis (so they will stay challenging and interesting no matter how much time you’ll go there) and provide a lot of challenges in form of complex puzzles and navigational activities (i.e., no constant monotonous clicking at red icons in your overview, and no simplistic boring puzzles like in current exploration; instead you need to learn the “landscape” of both solar system and a specific exploration site in it, find a safe path through a dangerous location full with deadly traps and unpleasant surprises - still with possibilities of a fellow capsuleer waiting for you around some corner). With much more complex scanning activities, forcing you to account for a bunch of random, changing environmental factors. I.e., the whole experience must rotate around puzzle-solving, decision making and precise, tactical navigation of your ship in a dangerous environment, not around typical boring PvE combat activities. A mostly exploration-oriented activities for those who prefer more thoughtful gameplay. No mindless needless clicking following the same patterns again and again.

An interesting twist tied to those spaces: different kinds of puzzles you’ll find there will reward you with items that can be used to influence lore of the game, revealing some secrets from the past. After enough of such items are gathered, CCP issues another lore article, or starts an event, which is tied to those discoveries, perhaps even giving capsuleers who were most active in gathering them the lead roles in this event and lore. For example, if several competing groups of explorers have assembled several different sets of “lore puzzle pieces”, contradicting each other, there may be an event built around this confrontation, with other capsuleers helping in it, until a certain “view” will win. So players will be defining lore of the game and direction plot is moving, to a certain extent.

Another thing tied to this new exploration space is that materials found there will be used in new kind of research activities:

1. An overall research of Eve’s world technologies. Certain pieces of data found in those spaces are analyzed and “research puzzle pieces” are produced from them. Those pieces can be used to fill a certain grid, and it’s done in competitive way, as other researches try to fill the same grid as well (so you can trade those pieces, or steal them, or even share them in an altruistic gesture to speed up developing of new technologies). A group(s) of researches who get the biggest section of the grid filled is granted “a patent” on next new module/ship addition CCP makes (no matter what it will be, as long it’s something that can be produced by players), which allow them to receive a certain percentage of profits from each produced/sold module/hull of this type for next several years, as sort of “Intellectual Property licensing fees”.

2. Production of “customization kits” which can be applied to a basic BPC to produce your custom version of BPC with certain properties of the module changed according to your vision (still extent and freedom of those changes should be governed by some new invention mechanics in such way that the more you change a certain property(s) of a module, the more drawbacks and flaws it adds (some static, some randomly added upon completion, either negative, positive or neutral mostly; the more you make it better in some regards, the higher is the chance it will get some negative random flaw(s), and the more harsh they will be), and more it inadvertently change some other its properties - so there always will be some trade off, like you rise speed boost of your custom MWD module by 20%, but it now burns more capacitor, lowers your shield resists and also slowly overheats even when overheating isn’t enabled) I.e. it basically allows players to create a very small series of their own customized modules and ship hulls from the standard ones.

3. Some of those materials will be used in producing new items with main theme of facilitating different navigation activities throughout New Eden (matching the overall vibe of this new space). A thing like wh entrance appearance predictor, which, when used in any system of k-space will set a trigger of sort, notifying you 12 hours in advance when wh leading to system of type you need will appear there. Or boosters/implants lowering jump fatigue effects a bit, and increasing jump range a bit. Or advanced surveillance array allowing you to get a limited intel on situation in a selected system in a certain radius (a more detailed intel than one you can get from statistics on star map). Or some new “system override” boosters, which grant your ship some navigation option you usually need a specific module installed to use, for a very brief moment; like, upon injecting it, you are allowed to conduct a 50km jump as if you were using micro-jump drive, at a cost of all your propulsion modules get severely overheated and will be inactive for some time, once per each such booster injection, with some additional personal side-effects accumulating with each injection.

2 Likes

Change:
Bounty system;
Crimewatch system;
War Dec system;
FW system;

Rework:
Citadels;
Sov related units - iHub, TCU.

Delete from the game and never return:

Entosis module.

2 Likes

I was doing exploration for months in older days, I haven’t ever needed any kind of strategy to have high enough rate of success. I just followed intuition and basic reasoning, and most of the time there was close to 0 challenge involved in it. It was just boring click-fest

3 Likes

I would probably be doing something a bit odd to everybody so I’ll have to explain the change in full.

For starters this would be 100% Sov related. It would change the way that Sov acts but I could care less about how you gained it before. Right now Sov is basically meaningless. You can run around in and out of other peoples sov without so much as batting an eye at the gates. You can go around and anchor an object in another groups Sov if you feel like it. As such we really have no borders just temporary ownership which can flip whenever someone thinks it’ll be funny to do so anywhere. This would be the first thing I end. It would be ended by the gates being possible to control. Places which are 4 steps away from another person’s sov would become equal to secure space as nobody outside your group could reach it for at least an hour without doing something funky.

System A is 4 jumps away from System F. As long as system F is controlled by your group and there is nothing else closer to it nobody but your group can enter system A. Anyone can enter system F (it’s a border line, not a wall) but it takes at least having a base inside there to get to system B. The reason? You must entosis link hack your way thru the gate any further. A border won’t need it, but a step beyond does, and three steps won’t function due to the data hack just not being able to connect to your station fast enough to keep up. The reason why is because you’d need (at the minimum) a hack on the exit from F to E, E to F, E to D, D to E, D to C, at which point you’ve alerted A to your hacking into E purely based on how long it took even at maximum speed. If these are not constantly kept open then your ability to move any ship will fall. Any one of these not constantly being hacked will result in the next one instantly shutting down keeping you from entering or leaving the system.

Sound complicated? Then you’re understanding the very minimum. I would also require a command module slot to even use an entosis link. You now must risk at the minimum a T2 destroyer to go on the offensive beyond the border, a second to even have an attempt at escape, a third to go beyond that with no escape outside of a cyno field being lit and your ship being able to jump or being lucky and finding a wormhole to “safety.” Granted this also would need the system you are trying to jump out of not having a cyno blocker active…

Positives:
It will be easy to know where you can attack without an entosis link.
Defending territory becomes easier to identify.
Structures determine who owns the area. (bye bye fozziesov)

Negatifves:
More expensive to attack than defend.
Escape can become impossible.
More structures in an area can make it nearly impossible to bash thru.

If I could, I’d change some aspects of PI. As it stands, I cannot see any reason to ever export P0 materials rather than refining to P1 because of the following:
P1 takes less volume,
P1 are the lowest level used in further PI processing,
There’s a one-to-one correspondence from P0 to P1.

With that in mind, I’d reduce the number of P0 per planet to 3 types but allow for 2 varieties of P1 to be refined from each P0 so as to make PI more ‘interesting’

1, The ship spinning while docked counter, bring this back.

That’s all.

I also honestly believe this what has potential to “bind” people to Eve more tightly. The more I played Eve, the more it appeared to me as sort of session MMO game, on par with World of Tanks or Warthunder, just on steroids, with market, industry and global map. Like some place you have zero attachment to, zero interest in as a virtual world, and just log in sometimes to PEW PEW and to bicker on forums. All those claims and sov and capturing your own space always meant little to me. What’s so special about getting another totally generic, typical solar system for yourself, you won’t most of the time be able to tell from hundreds of others by the look of it? With some generic, typical stations in it? The whole New Eden looks extremely monotonous, with as little difference as type of npcs on belts and slightly different backgrounds. I fail to feel myself at home wherever I go. No place you can truly call yours, nowhere you are able to leave a notable footprint.

Having some customizable station’s and solar system’s space, with ability to decorate it in different ways, use your own colors and banners and screens with your own video feed all over the place would be it. Ability to install some publicly available sites in spaces of custom design, to honor your fleet members and great battles of the past would be nice as well.

And of course internal decorations of stations and ability to enter some hall and participate in some activities with the others corpsmates. Back in the days when WiS still wasn’t completely buried, I thought about duels as one possible activities that could happen there, with betting system attached to them. There are ways how to implement it in relatively simple, though engaging way, no need for actual complex battle system and separate stats. So, say, each of 2 participants could bet their ships docked at the station and duel on blasters, with the winner taking the loser’s ship. This system could be expanded further to allow for hilarious content. Like, CEOs of 2 alliances fighting a duel for claim in a certain system, or for ownership of this very station. Whoever wins automatically getting rights for it. And so on. Other mini-games could be there as well.

2 Likes

I like the idea of fleet hangers, sounds cool

4 Likes

Remove sov null sec, turn it all into NPC null sec and make people have fun again without having to worry about tiresome sov mechanics.

1 Like

Some more variation of the station interiors. We spend so much time in there spinning ships and adjusting stuff it would be fun to see something different.

3 Likes

My personal issue with this is how much space is around my ship in most of those stations. With all due respect, I’m not that significant and rich (neither all those new pilots), and it’s just not realistic, where exactly they can find that much space to hold every ship in there? It just looks too generic, something more believable, similar to real hangar built for actually servicing your ship, needs to be there.

3 Likes

lol to all noobs that probably never solo killed anyone with their “remove local in null and low sec”…
Gates register activations, you see who goes through it (part of game mechanics).
And btw, go to wormholes, there is no local upon wormhole activation… lol

You see, this is the reason I do not return. These noobs that cry and want the game to be as easy as possible so that their already huge ass horde of noob fleets, can kill a T1 frig with 50 people piling onto the kill mail. Op Success.
rofl

1 Like

The only thing i would change in EVE would be the Ceo of CCP.

3 Likes
  1. remove incursions from the game
  2. move level 5’s agents to high sec as well, to replace the current incursion system with a payout based on the number of players in the group
  3. add a difficulty option to all missions with increased rewards for higher difficulty (difficulty must be extreme)
  4. introduce level 6 missions in null sec islands captured by the empire factions which lead mission runners into null sec areas.
  5. remove the crappy wave system from the missions so they’re more punishing to people who mess up like it was previously.
  6. balance the industrial sector by making production of modules, rigs and sub cap ships require the same mineral composition in all area’s of space as it was previously.
  7. removal of invention system
  8. removal of datacores
  9. R&D agents give out maxed research t2 bpcs with the option to progress onto t2 bpos for a substantial amount of R&D points
  10. a side application that monitors the processes of the computer and anything deemed as automated = insta ban unless proven otherwise in petition.

Nothing.

1 Like
  1. Make Standings have real value for the grind. NPC ships support/defend Citadels, etc… due to Standings.

2. Change up the game drastically every once in a while to shake up the masses.

3. Extend the PVE progression for Solo players.

4. Make Mining have better value in game, as is only combat is worth doing.

1 Like

Why not make mining ships the first true multicrew ships? Alt mining has always been a thing and scales well in parallel. Why not add new versions, T2 orcas anyone? That take multiple crew members, real friends or alts, to gain said bonuses over T1 orcas and barges.

Have cooperative mining or engaging alt play that would keep players busy while they mine would be an added bonus. Scaling this by using alts would mean a lower efficiency than having individuals doing each specific task. It would allow for cooperative PvE in mining that would limit automation abilities or even make single players using alts less useful.

With enough specific tasks, jobs and engaging gameplay for each individual you could make it happen.

1 Like

Jian Mira3d
If you could change something eve what would it be?

more derelict objects in space to explore, for example starbases, alien structures, etc
docking wallpaper needs more variety, maybe make it more 3d
change the Map, currently its too graphical it needs more of a local feeling like a road map
starship mods, make your ship more personal by adding a wing or a sat dish or something like that

I would exterminate all multiboxers, AFKers and bots of all sorts and functions. Just put all that ■■■■ together as it belongs and perma ban it.

3 Likes