Where do you call home?

It’s an interesting question, regardless of it’s straightforwardness. After having some time to ponder my answer, I have come to identify four places that would be my ‘home’.

The first would be Kallaste Metropolitan City, on Itamo IV. The place of my birth and my formative years, as well as the home of my immediate family, my father and grandparents both paternal and maternal. A beautiful city of lights and glass, industry, research and commerce all combined into one grand megalopolis. And lovely weather, befitting it’s place on the coast. Kallaste is a place that I love, and will always be somewhere I will consider home, even if I am not always welcome in visiting there.

The second is my current residence. The Port of Adrasteia, City of Rhamnus, Assiettes VI. When I came to the Federation to serve the Nadire District as an officer within NADSC, I chose this particular settlement to be my home away from Kallaste, as well as a home for those that followed me out from my departure from the Conglomerate. There is a rich history here, reflected in the culture and the architecture, of the Caldari and Lyatian Republic colonists that ventured forth from Gallentia and Cephalin to brave the frontier and chart the unknown. For the brief time I have spent here, it is starting to grow on me. It’s colder than Kallaste though. Brr.

The third would be Cephalin, Caldari Prime, Luminaire VII however one refers to the world. Although it is not the land of my birth, it was the home of my ancestors that trod the snow-covered soil and walked upon the decks of sailing ships that plied the waters of the Great Western Sea and the coasts of the continents, as well as the homeland of my ancestors that chose to leave during the Great Exodus. Sentimental, sure. I wouldn’t be who I am if I was not.

And the fourth, well, it isn’t a place that I have visited to become personally acquainted with, nor is it my ‘home’ so to speak. But it will be when I die my final death, and I shall die one day, when my spirit will be released to join those of my ancestors to watch over those that will come after me. Not somewhere I shall be any time soon, though.

4 Likes

Throughout my life, I’ve had my home in various places, but the 3MOG-V station in Syndicate is the one that still resides in me.

3 Likes

Hek my dude!

I am trying to get into this FW thing and it’s pretty much right there and I can sell my loot even though it’s slower. The good people of Hek need business from me and vice versa

3 Likes

‘Home’ is a challenging concept for a slave - perhaps even more so for this freedman who has become a capsuleer. Obviously the primary meaning is the place of one’s permanent residence, but once passed out, my ‘residence’ was the warrant officers’ mess of whichever ship I served in at the time. That transience still applies.

Yet ‘home’ has many emotional connotations as well. I looked up some definitions in the dictionary (and note that different languages and cultures also use varying definitions not easily translated). A common qualifying theme is family - a home is often spoken of as a place of family. There is also a commonality towards it being a place of refuge, asylum, particularly for the oppressed, the refugee, the stranger.

I find I cannot easily answer the question to my own satisfaction. Perhaps the most honest answer I could offer would be the ‘home’ my Marine uniform provides - I reside within its symbolism, what it means for my duty and honour, how it represents my service and those who served with me, and absent the more usual trappings of family and clan, it is my place of refuge.

3 Likes

My traveling circus is all over high sec Eden except low, dull, wh, yawn.

Just to clarify, Do you mean Starkman?

2 Likes

That’s ‘home’.

4 Likes

No, it’s Arzad you filthy slave.

1 Like

Since I retired, I settled in a small town on Botane VI; I even retired from my brothers job, as it was too much back-breaking work. It’s quiet here, with only the occasional flyby of some frigate. One of the things I like to do during quiet moments is look at the traffic coming and going from Dodixie - the gate is so big you can see it from planetside if you know where to look. Oh, I still have my shuttle if I have a craving for the exotic foods in Dodixie, but…this is where I’m settled now.

2 Likes

Hm… Home, I’ve had a few over the years, but most recently have been my apartment in the Aquarius District on the Maractite Foundry, and my Director’s Quarters in the Masariin Gazaar arcology on Eugales VI.

1 Like

Gerek used to be my permanent Eve home, now it’s Arnon.

I have left Jita 4-4 only a few times in the last few years. My property there is now my home.

Home is where your heart is.

1 Like

One of my augments has replaced my heart with a steady whirring pump that doesn’t even give me a pulse. Are you telling me I’m homeless?

1 Like

I frequent the Domain region. I feel at home there.

Meditating, Wandering,
Through the Sand sea,
Through the Void sea,
Appeasing Mind and Heart.

1 Like

The patriotic answer would be Kamela. It would also be a lie.

If “Home is where the heart is” I am tempted to answer with my tribe’s archipealos on Matar, where the warm breeze blows ever tranquil and the ocean ever provides a place of solace.

However, my heart often feels as though it is scattered amongst various places at once, some residing in the past, some the present, some the future.

My “Home” has changed too many times over the course of my life. I define it more by warm memories of a place, then by the time spent on a physical location. I do not often get to spend time on Mioar, but when I do, I feel a sense of peace, particularly in a certain village on one of the smaller isles.

I hear many Minmatar speak fondly of their ancestral ties to the planet as well, drawing to certan villages or cities their ancestors once occupied. Perhaps due to my background, I do not feel this connection as powerfully as some seem to, but when my feet touch the sands of the beaches there, I do at least “feel something”.

2 Likes

Hakana II.

I spend most of my time on a ship docked at the Fed Navy station in Fricoure.

1 Like

Home is the ship I’m in wherever I am 2bh.