Which Empire Has the Best PVP ships for a beginner?

I recommend the “Bringing Solo Back” in game channel. Lots of legendary soloists in there. I learn so much just lurking and occasionally asking questions.

2 Likes

Never not recommend Bringing Solo Back! I learned most of what I know today from them and a lot (and I mean a lot) of practice.

And very important, as you get blown up over and over and over fighting in unfavorable circumstances and ask yourself ‘why?’

Sometimes you need to step back and should do something different from what you are doing, so you don’t burn out.
My advice, fly with a buddy or two buddies in a trio and see how cool it is to have 2 mates with you and when you then get out by yourself again, that next killmail will be so much more rewarding, especially after beating the odds.

Not a frigate

Thinking small ships…

Atron, Comet, Tristan, Algos and Hecate are all quite strong and common. with a good range of fighting styles. Gallente

Stabber is the best destroyer in the game.
Kestrel is good for pvp too. Or breacher. Or tormentor. Try it all. They are nice.

The answer is hugely dependant on your own personal preferences. There’s not “best” frigate on the “best” Empire. Eve players are terribly marginal improvement focused, and if there was a “best” you would see a very obvious bias towards it.
In practice you don’t tend to see a huge “everyone flies a …” - Eve is generally quite well balanced. Certain ships dominate in certain situations but are weak in others. The T2 and Pirate ships have more extreme advantages and disadvantages. What is good in a PvP fleet isn’t good for solo combat and vice versa.

The pilot’s experience and knowledge really does matter - which makes a good PvP ship for a new player “a cheap one you can learn with”. Most of combat is won by picking the right fights for you and your ship.
Remember: someone will only attack you if they think they can beat you. You should do the same.
That knowledge, and it almost needs to be instinctive because you won’t have time to look up and assess your opponent, takes time to learn.
I’ve a character that almost exclusively flies “other ships” and I’ve learnt a lot from doing that (I’ve even started to like some Minmatar ships. I’m hoping there’s treatment for that: probably a good bottle of rust remover).

I’m not an experienced combat pilot. It’s not my bag - I’ll fly logistics in fleets (I enjoy that), I’ll fly E-war support as well (I like the Crucifier - personal preference: this is Eve and that counts too! And I’m not a nice person, I enjoy crippling an opponent). I’ll not give detailed advice.

But (damn, I’m arrogant), if I was learning solo PvP I’d seriously consider an Amarrian Punisher, but that takes some knowledge. I’m an armour flier normally and I know energy turrets but a Punisher isn’t tied to them, it’ll fit with my reflexes. And I like Amarrian ships (personal preference again).

There is no win button.
If there was everyone would fly it.

3 Likes

The Omen (and Navy once you can afford it) is a versatile ship with a wide variety of fits and can fill a useful anti-tackle role in any fleet from small roaming to giant capital brawls.

Remote rep cruisers will be welcome in any non-throwaway fleet.

Thrasher gangs are great for throwaway roaming.

Caracal gangs are a nice step up from Thrasher gangs.

Tip: you can look up ship rating on zkill, I think Cynabal is the top rated Alpha ship at #8, however I didn’t look up every ship.

Edit: Hurricane is rated #2 right behind Sabre.

I would recommend getting your “magic 14” under your belt then pick a small weapon and get it to V with specialization. There is alot to be had in frigs/destroyers T1-T3 while working on other skills.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.