Why antigank?

It has happened to me long long time ago around 2018 when I was ganking miners.

Yes AG cannot know which ship you going to target unless they already know you, your target selection and whats on the grid. For example I was ganking hulks and mackinaws almost exclusively, so the smart AG would know that I will going to target this lone Hulk inside crowd of Covetors on this belt.

I was also multiboxing just 2 + scout/looter so then if the Hulk has been anti-gank tanked and there was cloaked T3C that oneshotted my cat, then I would fail.

That being said, 99% of my gank failures ever were caused either by miscalculating the required DPS - not bringing enough to break the tank in case it was tanked exclusively to survive the usual 2man (back at that time or 5 man today) gank. Which was a risk I deliberately chose to take. Or by some action performed by the victim. That included victim orbiting and me not realizing it, victim having stabs and me not having or activating scrambler on other ships (fast enough), victim pre-spawning CONCORD and me not noticing it, victim swapping their Hulk for anti-gank procurer stored in nearby Orca, remote reps on victim’s multiboxed Orca, victim simply burning away with afterburned and me not noticing that and staying still after arrival, or victim moving away a few km from the time I made a combat probe scan and me not noticing that or deciding to try it regardless because I already spent too much time getting there/etc. and then failing from any of the above reasons.

And of course multiple possible errors in my gank execution that can happen - me losing one ship on the way due to bug at gate and me not noticing it or simply being too slow and then deciding to still try it regardless and then fail, or not activating guns at any of my client for whatever reason, or shooting wrong target with one of my clients etc.

I failed gank due to AG (counting only ganks I did myself, not ganks where I was +1) was when I was ganking ventures (because I was alpha back then) in Minmatar and Knowledgeminer was cloaked there in his T3C oneshotting or just preventing me to shoot. I really don’t recall any other case where I would fail due to AG, not that they didn’t try although there weren’t that many attempts - often they simply thought that when they field a “response fleet” I will go elsewhere, but I didn’t and I still managed to pull it off.

Oh and I should note that I didn’t count activating killright. Sure I lost several mallers and sometimes even thrashers, but since that was mostly done by KM whowers or random party and not clearly someone with AG agenda, does it really count?

EDIT: now I actually remember that I ocassionally lost a trasher to NEPF- around Jita when getting bored and roaming around with criminal -10 char and trying to kill a random autopilotting pod or venture mining. Not much a nuisance, but I should definitely credit them this small win. Unfortunately, that never really resulted in anything other than delaying the ineviable, I still found some pod or venture minutes later as I immediatelly undocked from Jita with new trasher again and avoided the said ag.

4 Likes

Don’t forget the Leopard you missed with your Thrasher because I gave you a serious bump just the second you fired, resulting in a missed shot. :slight_smile: That was funny, even if it was pure coincidence, I didn’t even know that you wanted to fire in just that second ^^

2 Likes

Hi Drac, and cheers for the mention bud,

Can confirm that tethering was a major nerf to kr hunting , tho the occasions that you catch 'em afk could be quite hilarious.

i rem killing Mannsteins (?) 4 or 5 gank caracals on 0 isk krs on one occasion, and in our small corps early days of bounty hunting BT ( before tether) the notorious Odious Minger taking out an entire afk talos gank fleet and a bunch of 'nadoes on more than one occasion in their off grid perches.

As for answering the OPs question, my interest in bounty hunting started as a 3 month old newb after my CEO who had taken me under his wing went afk for several months , my tayra got smartbombed on urlen gate on an ammo run for missions by an infamous ganker , the newly implanted pod was the biggest hit ( bout 100 mil) which , when i figured out what had actually happened created a desire for revenge.

I learnt to use dscan and combat probes to pin down his perch location where he would sit in his -10 pod next to his s bomb 'geddon piloted by an alt and made it my mission to hunt him down and pod him to collect his bounty till i reimbursed my pod loss. ( i also had started training into cov ops with the intention of stealing his geddon ).

A game of cat and mouse developed , when i podded him id put his corpses up for auction in peri local to supplement the pod bounties and let him know id continue till i’d covered my losses . After a couple of weeks of this and his ability to gank suffering quite severely we had a convo where i informed him of the amount outstanding .

He congratulated me for playing Eve as it should be played, gave me a plex and some tips on ganking and looting , i looted his next geddon wreck , think i set him blue and we went our seperate ways lol.

I had caught the thrill of the hunt early on and went on a pod hunting frenzy , tho i never quite managed to catch zydrine megacyte with his multi billion isk pod bounty .

I met another bounty hunter and eventually created not the usual suspects with a couple of ex higgra corpies and hunted , robbed and plundered gankers in madirmilire, niarja, Jita, perimeter, uedama , sivala . I made enough isk for plexing my account for 18 months in that period . Among best payouts was hilariously ninja looting a freighter load of mins, with a sh*t ton of isogen in badgers and tayras after scaring off the looter. i was tractoring a can in my manticore just managing to keep it out of ninja looters reach. Local was hilarious . Think ive still got 75 mil isogen left from that .

The other major payout was for solo saving a freighter from a gank on Kaap gate, Niarja by some notorious mercs/wardeccers, i saved him after 5 minutes offering to fleet up to give him my 10% (?) leadership boosts , he refused thinking it was scam , until he relented as the talos warped in . He survived in 10% hull just before DT , much to the chagrin of said wardeccers who promptly decced us. i messed em about by waiting a few days then setting krs on em randomly when i knew they were out and about .

The freighter pilot thanked me , set me blue after i explained what we did , and a cupla days later i got convoed by his CEO and given 1 bil as thanks for saving his 10 bil cargo.

So i guess my motivation was originally revenge, the thrill of the hunt followed by financial . The salty mails from some of eves most infamous griefers were a bonus and things like the HSM sabotage of Lazs live ganking stream will forever make me chuckle :slight_smile:

o7 bb

4 Likes

Why Gank? Same reasons… more or less.

2 Likes

It’s extremely entertaining. It’s hands down one of the most fun activities I have ever done in EVE. If you dunk a miner, you literally never know what will happen next.

So you see, we play this game for fun, which is what a computer game is all about.

Ag on the other hand play out of hate. They despise this game and how it works and they rather want to play a different version of it. That is why they are so toxic and miserable.

Deep down I only want to hunt you down or your main ganking alts…

I want to make the front page of your blog about how I chased you down.
I would rather shoot the loot cans of all that blue loot than turn to antiganking anyone else other than you Princess!

„Hello, police? I have a murder to report. The murderer is a man. The victim? His own dream.“

1 Like

Hmm yes and in that same dream there was zero wardecs vs the Masters of Anti Ganking???

Question,

Why are there no current Wars?

Spoken like a true ganker who has been griefed for being a spineless ganker. lol no support o7

Answer: because I exist.

1 Like

@Iceacid_Frostpacker does not take rejection well, is obsessed with @Aiko_Danuja

Yea. Exactly. I play this game for fun too, which is what a computer game is all about… or so we think.

I disagree.
AG play this game for fun, which is what a computer game is all about. I’m sure of it… or so we thik.

But actually, a computer game isn’t really about fun. It’s really all about profits and keeping the player playing for as long as possible and way beyond what is healthy for the body and mind, for profits, which is what a game corporation is all about.

2 Likes

We tried in the past to intercept gankers going for miners at belts but once you have have miner success the gankers learn , one ganker told me they see us in sys and compensate their attack with extra cats or upping them to T2.

This ganker enjoyed us being, he said it added the extra danger and made him more cautious.

We then focused on intercepting the ganker fleets as they moved sys to hunt for miners , this worked much better.
We would look for their scout and lay a trap on route, as they dropped gate cloak we would tackle them and pull them out of fleet even getting Aiko once (who incidentally used a warp stab to try and stop us :smiling_face:) , also if you could work out who the multibox FC was tackling them could send fleet into turmoil. But again they learn and started scouting the route and us. If we set trap and they spotted us they would go the other way ,so that for us slowly stopped

At the time when you had multiple gank fleets in uedama , in the time of Kusion , Goddess and Painter fleets we often stopped Gankers . One evening we had just stopped a Goddess fleet when Kusion logged in, we then proceeded to stop Kusion 3 times in a row , the last gank went for us and yes killing some small ag ships but for the loss of his 3rd fleet.
Around that time we also managed to intercept their loot freighters, killing 3 or 4.

What ever anyone says it was a fun time , like cat and mouse, we would have scouts at their tether station and try and predict what gate target would be , they would start bouncing around sys to pull us off the target gate.

We would try to organise our defense by giving groups of small ships their own targets and large ships their own group of targets to alpha, that way we never crossed targets and waisted DPS, then EW would have their own target group. As we became more organised we became more effective, even using EW burst to good effect, I even stopped a fleet of Talos dead in the water with one burst why two other kept the shields up.

Often you would get to know with our numbers and theirs if we had a chance of stopping them, but even if we new we couldn’t we would put up the resistance anyway , so to be seen as trying so others may join , which worked .

So for all the joking aside ag gave us content and for our corp it was probably 25% of our activity . I myself lately have stopped using Githany for most ag work other than kill right hunts and used my ALTs in ganker hot spots . One is in Gheth now as a token resistance.

As ganking changed so content for corp dropped and we stopped doing corp ops for ag , if we did it was more ad hoc, if people wanted to. Rule changes from CCP and time zones really put an end to any meaningful resistance. Ganker could adapt and find ways around new CCP rules like they have but it ended some of our play styles.

Sorry if that’s a bit long but we did have fun fighting a very capable enemy and I understand about the propaganda war, they needed to put people off joining us and they did a good job at that too.

5 Likes

Just how GR commented about how it kept a ganker on their toes!

Frostpacker doesn’t even care about anything other than keeping AD on the run.

Frostpacker is devoted to either fleet with or against.

Frostpacker is even waiting for a very important evemail and had even quoted this thread in my application.

Frostpacker really wishes that Both Gankers and Anti-Gankers would just team up and be happy in New Eden.

We once fleeted with the leader of Frostpacker and we invite AD to fleet with them one day!

1 Like

Are you by any chance into Aiko toes, just a feeling I have

I recall mentioning that it is what Aiko stands for and the face of what the New Order Represents./ We remember James right well that image had been replaced

DC is needing support I must anchor a tower.

@Githany_Red was invited to come ganking but refused, which is strange , as I have it on good authority that she too is into Aiko toes.

We know that Iceacid would send a mercenary.

/ Iceacid will always be in debt for the probe scranning skills learnt long ago when AD called in a nulsec elite hunter to train me.