Why can't players start in a pirate faction?

Ive been a minor Blood Raider since day dot.

frankly, I would just be happy with having more than 1 clothing option per gender to rep for the angel cartel. for comparison, blood raiders have 9 options for men and 11 for women. guristas have 6 and 6, sansha have 4 and 4, serpentis have 2 each, even ore has 2 for each. Mordus could also use some more, hell even the sisters of eve have more options AND the combat suit.

It is a good idea, and could be implemented. Too hardcore? Don’t choose it. Nobody forces you to go hardcore if it’s an option. But Pirate FW would be something awesome if corps could join the Sanshas or the Angel Cartel for example. Also, the lore on most pirate factions should be expanded. So far only the Sanshas and Serpentis had dedicated expansions with exclusive hull designs.

Also, where the ■■■■ are pirate battlecruisers? Also pirate bombers would be awesome.

You can’t start as a pirate because that’d give you easy fast access to their lp store and much more valuable stuff than normal empires provide.And as with anything older players would find ways to exploit it.

Acess to pirate LP stores isn’t gated. A day 1 alpha character could fly out to curse in a rookie ship and start running lvl 1s already. So what “too easy” are you meaning? Would save a vet a single trip from HS-Null? That’s what 20-30 jumps? Clearly that’s far top easy to abuse… should probably nerf caldari while we are at it… they start closer to jita than anyone else. Gives an unfair advantage to market alts.

LP stores are not exactly well advertised. Doesn’t show up in any of the tutorials or the npe. Only way a brand new player would know about it is if they did plenty of research before hand. And they are still getting thrown into the deep end, which is hardly a bad thing.

The only benefits I can see from starting as a Pirate faction would be these things:

1. You start in a Pirate Rookie ship which while stronger is still not as good as just moving up to Frigates.

2. You get some Pirate themed outfit options on character creation, but most of those are sold on the market anyway.

3. You do career agents for a Pirate NPC corp you are a member of, which barely differ from the norm.

Just flying a new character out to low/null dressed in a pirate outfit, to start doing Lvl 1 pirate missions in a newly bought pirate frigate would be nearly identical. Apart from the fact people could still see you are a member of an empire NPC corp, the differences would be almost unnoticeable. You could maybe just send a ticket to a GM and tell them to enlist you in the pirate NPC corp for funs, and see if they do it? lol

I think maybe if some player corps could get together to form some sort of serious trading hub in pirate NPC space, it would be interesting, but since no one has ever done it, I don’t think anyone is interested in that idea.

And the finest tailors in the quandrant and the hottest despot…

<3 Omir Sarikusa Senpai notice me… <3

1 Like

with all of this pirate intrusion into empire, we could have pirate agents in empire so you can ease your way out to lowsec where there would be more and than eventually null sec. the pirate nuisance is al ready so bad I cant even warp gate to gate now without the frigates trying to jump me, just yesterday I had a pirate fleet following me around, and ccp made the roaming gangs already hard to solo with the bases unsoloable.

The reason for this s simply that, whenever someone proposed the idea of noobs starting in lowsec in F&I, the carebears attacked it notoriously, because “think of the children”, despite not having a single clue what they were talking about anyway.

That’s all, really. If there had been more support by people who actually play the game in lowsec, or more support by those who aren’t unfit for a self responsible existence, then this would actually have happened, because it’s a ■■■■■■■ great idea.

It’s not the same thing.

Blood for Omir! Where’s my Blood Raider NPE?!

I want to be first to exsanguinate 30 Thukker children.

Wait what? We dont do that anymore?

Capsuleers?! Oh gross.

TBH it has more to do with when the game was made and how it was initial designed then anything else. The priate factions merely filled the void needed for MMO’s to have NPC. Time is changing, and atm they most likley can;t open the factions up due to old code.

Throw them all in NPC null. Let Karmafleet and PH fight over the steady trickle of sweet, sweet new F1 monkeys coming in to fuel the war effort. Content for everyone!

I would love this personally. Quite a few things would have to be changed though. NPC nullsec is a very special place with unique rules. The ore that usually inhabits the space is lacking. I don’t even know if it’s comparable to lowsec ore honestly, but I’ll be honest, I haven’t done much research. What I do know is that it usually doesn’t contain the awesome stuff like spodumain, or arkanor.

This could be alleviated by having your Corp hold sovrienty and spawning in better ore. However since it’s NPC nullsec, you can’t do that. So this makes mining in the space automatically a hastle. Compared to the relative safety of highsec and lowsec there is really no reason for you to mine there. (I say lowsec is safer because you don’t have to worry about warp bubbles, and the general low population in lowsec)

So mining changes need to happen to make the space more interesting. However, most people would see a problem in this because you have these wonderful things in NPC nullsec called NPC stations. You can’t blow these up and take people’s sh*t. So now you would have people stock piling ore and other goods in a indestructible location.

Sure you can camp the station and make the miners and mission runners life miserable, however they’ll probably just log off and hop on another character in highsec to make money while you and all your friends sit on a station wanting to hang yourself because of how bored you are.

That’s really just the tip of the iceberg too. I could keep going, and I would love to have the option to create a character as a pirate at character creation, but I believe it would take a lot more work than most people think. So I don’t think it will happen anytime soon.

Tl;Dr : I’d love for it to happen, but there is a lot of sh*t that would have to change to make it possible.

As an aside, at the EVE vegas, i think it was 2014 that sounds right, CCP Rise mentioned eve on hard mode with perma death. TBH i think this could be a way to do it. Open the pirate factions AND the drifter faction up for players. Depending on which faction you join, youd get a disadvantage and an advantage. Like if you say joined the Drifters you would not have a clone, ever. So you would have 1 single life, but access to drifter ships (all be it a bit less powerful) it would open up a crap load of new ways to play, and might even make some bitter vets return to try and play eve in new and exciting ways.

I don’t see a problem. Just come to Hek Hub and join to a corporation with ‘shiny skull icon’.

I can offer some perspective on being a newish player in pirate faction nullsec.

When I started playing EVE, I did a little bit of reading around, and I had a friend in RL who already played, so I benefited from their knowledge of basic mechanics.

So I already knew about jump clones, how blueprints work, and a few other mechanics.

So, what I did was, flew out to the pirate nullsec, and set up in a station that had some level 1 agents, and started running missions.

I recycled loot from missions to build replacement missioning frigates, and fitted better modules that I found in loot to my ships. I also purchased things from market or contract to recycle for minerals, as there were occasionally some really good deals.
One thing to note, is that in the pirate level 1 missions, some of them are difficult enough, because of using different npcs, that you can easily be overwhelmed if you aggro enough of the npcs at once. This does not happen in the highsec level 1s, because of the different npc pool. Some of the missions are difficult with a pure t1 fit t1 frigate, and you need your meta loot modules to get things done.

I had a bunch of non-mission related bpos that I also manufactured things to sell with - scan probes, scan probe launchers, codebreakers, analysers, those always sold fairly well. Once I had my standings up, I also had 100% refine rate in the blood raider stations, so I helped some other players that were living in the space with that.
Ofc, CCP changed how the refining mechanic works, so that’s no longer possible.

It is a completely different kind of playstyle to highsec. You need to create bookmarks so you can d-scan the stargates to check for bubbles or other players. The nullsec politics also means the local populations can change fairly rapidly - there can be good deals to pick up on firesales, but you have to establish relationships with the new residents quite often. Storyline missions can be extremely tricky, especially courier ones, because if you lose the courier item due to being shot, you lose a lot more standings than you’d gain for completing the mission. One step forward, two steps back at times.

The pirate faction LP stores are ehhh, there’s not really too much in there that’s helpful. Ships, implants, ammo. But not modules. You only get those from complexes and exploration sites and so on.

Overall, it’s a different style of play, but it’s not as easy to get into, and progression can be slow - if local has filled up with people you don’t know and there’s a battle going on, then… you’re not likely to be able to get much done that day.

Id definitely recommend it as something experienced players could try out for something different.

But for completely new players, it’s an even steeper learning curve, and it’d be very easy to get into a difficult situation - the relative lack of things on market could mean you end up unable to buy a ship that you can fly.

1 Like