Why do forum moderators exist?

As you discover more about how nulsec sov works, you will come to understand that the forums perfectly match eve online gameplay.

The forum moderators are here to police the lower caste players and show of their ties to CCP staff. All in the name of creating a “pure sandbox”.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So, in a game where scamming and griefing players in pvp is actively encouraged by the staff, moderators are needed to ban “toxic” clients.

I bet you are the same guy who tells folks to HTFU when they have a good cry after getting ganked.

Come on now, be one or the other. Be a libertarian, or be for the total nanny state holding your hand.

You must admit, the intolerance of bad manners on the forums is deeply ironic given the way the game is played, and meant to be played.

I think the better explanation for the moderator behaviour is simply human nature. We’ve all seen forums come and go now for many years. We’re not all stupid. We know what it is all about.

An internet forum moderator is the guy who wants to be a community policeman. He is willing to walk around in a faux copper uniform for no pay, just so he can preen himself in the mirror and preach at some lower types in an authoritarian tone.

And that’s cool. Whatever floats your boat.

I’m sorry, but what do you find wrong with sophisticated violence? Do you absolutely feel the need to utter insults every time you push the F1-F8 keys in PVP? Isn’t one of the in-game expectations to end the fight with “good fights” and be civil and polite?

The game is meant to be played as a PVP game. Bad manners are not tolerated in-game either. Neither is griefing, actually, although in cases where you’re exceptionally rude, the other guy may elect to hunt you forever, to teach you some manners. And then if you’re rude when you petition, they’ll add you to the end of the queue.

1 Like

Really? I missed the manners police. So, what are the penalties for harassing miners who don’t want to be harassed? What are the penalties for players who hold the pods of their victims and mock them in local?

What are the penalties for camping a gate and killing newbros who don’t even know what is going on?

With respect, you are typing and you are feeling, but you are not thinking. To claim that poor manners are not tolerated in Eve is hardly calculated to build respect for your powers of observation.

Lookit, i am not complaining about the rough and tumble atmosphere. just don’t understand why people pretend the game is civilised and respectable.

Nobody in the world believes that. Eve online has a well earned reputation for gaming brutality.

Goodness me, we’ve have international legal scandals over some of the most celebrated players harassing other to the point of serious criminal liability. All of that was defended by the owners, and the senior players have a mantra called HTFU.

Eve is a trip to the human zoo, and that’s cool. There are lots of great folks here as well.

But it’s a snark festival, and most of the weirdos who play the game couldn’t get laid if somebody showed them how.

In that context, moderation of forums is something of an ironic farce.

Oh, is that the winning condition?

2 Likes