Why Do I Suck So Bad at PvP?

@Thorian_Kell

The best way to learn about pvp is to learn from another player. For a noob it’s pretty difficult to understand how you should fit a ship, what went wrong in a fight or what your options are in an encounter. So i recommend joining a corp that has an experienced pvp player if you want to learn more about pvp. Flying with others is generally a more enjoyable game too.

It also doesn’t hurt to ask the person who killed you what went wrong. Most are nice folks just looking for some pvp, so killing you usually isn’t personal. Send them a mail or start a convo. If you get a toxic response, just close it and move on. But that won’t be the usual reply.

This is also completely true. Pvp is hard for everyone unless you have an overwhelming tech or numbers advantage. Half the battle is being being better prepared, better equipped and having more friends than your opponents. Your best chances always lie with joining a corp that can support you. Safety in numbers is a real thing.

Very few players are ‘good solo’ pvp’rs. It takes a good while to get to that level and everyone takes plenty of losses, even at the top of their game. Rule number one of eve is ‘don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose’. Tech1 frigates are an excellent place to start solo’ing and I still love to fly em after 9 years.

Another general rule when you’re doing pve is that a fit that is effective for pve is bad for pvp and vice versa. Trying to fit for both usually means you suck at both. So either fit for pvp and accept that you’ll be less effective at pve, or fit for pve and accept that you should bail out if someone starts to come after you.

Finally before i go; learn to use D-scan. The directional scanner is the most useful tool for both hunting and avoiding hunters and every ship, even your pod, has one.

2 Likes