Why do you call it "content"?

In Eve the developers also gave us tools, what we do with them creates content; for both ourselves and for others.

For example? If you are talking about something like deploying a starbase - there might be some merit to that line of argument. But in that case, we’re talking about an actual asset which people can see and interact with. This doesn’t apply to player actions which are ephemeral.

1 Like

If you consider content to be only the activities programmed into the game, in Eve that’s pretty mediocre.

CCP also gave us tools in the form of game mechanics to play with, what we do with them is content; often in the form of unexpected playstyles and uses for common objects.

If you’re given a sand pit to play in, is the content the sand, or how you interact with it?

3 Likes

The content is the sand, and any other tangible items in the sand pit. If I build a sandcastle, that could also be considered content, as it is tangible. The games I play with my toys are most definitely NOT content. They are ephemeral. After I am gone, no one else can see them or even know they were there.

Is there a pail and a shovel in the sandbox? Yep. Is there a toy dinosaur in the sandbox? Yep. Is there a sandcastle in the sandbox? Yep. Is there a hide-and-seek in the sandbox? Ummm… no.

I’m going to say this is a troll thread, not to be taken seriously.

2 Likes

I would think the same applies to you?

The sand is the medium, the content is the interaction.

It’s not a hard concept to wrap your head around.

4 Likes

I certainly understand the concept, but that’s not what “content” means. That’s either a failure to understand the meaning of the word, or a deliberate attempt to redefine it.

So you are telling us you joined 3 hours ago and started this topic? You are an alt.

1 Like

What is your understanding of the word content?

In order to address your question, we need to know what your viewpoint is.

it’s not “my” viewpoint, it is the definition of the word as per all the authoritative sources. Others here are trying to stretch and or redefine the word and use it in ways that don’t apply.

It would have been much easier if you had just answered the question.

Nothing I see in the dictionary contradicts my thoughts on the matter.

Let’s take a definition at random, then:

con·tent2

ˈkäntent/

noun

noun: content ; plural noun: contents

the things that are held or included in something.

All player actions, then, are something that is included in the game.

It was my understanding that when games started to shift to the F2P model, then player activity in the game started to become thought of as content.

As in, “all these free players provide the markets that the paying players buy/sell in, they fill the queues/events, they make targets for the PvPers to attack, etc. etc. In effect, the free players are active game NPCs (non-paying characters) with deviously individual AIs, that make the game more interesting for our actual paying customers.”

Lets try another.

Content : something that is to be expressed through some medium, as speech, writing, or any of various arts:

In Eve people use the game mechanics to create their own “mini games”, thus expressing their creativity through the medium of Eve.

Poets express their creativity through the medium of words.

People building stuff in sand pits express their creativity through the medium of sand.

Aggravation does not contain an “E” btw.

2 Likes

Hahaha… YOU asked ME to define the word. I gave you the opportunity, then you asked again. So, I supplied a definition. I guess that must have proved my point, since you elected to go out and find an obscure one.

So, on it’s face, by the primary definiton, in-game actions are not “content”. You cannot put an action in a box. A box cannot contain an action.

“Aggrevation” is a surname, not the noun you are thinking of.

“The substance or material dealt with in a speech, literary work, etc., as distinct from its form or style.”
–Random Google Dictionary check

What is the content of a book, a play, a song, a movie, a debate, or a sports event?

EvE is similar entertainment.

–Content Gadget

3 Likes

The complete opposite, but thanks for trying.

So, EVE is a “speech, literary work, etc”?

Yes.

It’s the etc.

–Helpful Gadget