Why don't people use destroyers for mining?

Despite liberally taking advantage of the Venture myself, I read old guides of the time before me and watch old videos and kind of wish it wasn’t there. Apparently barges were the first ship with mining bonuses people got. People used to use jetcans in destroyers. And then some people would try to steel an ore from a destroyer which dropped a can but had all the turret slots with guns (Don’t know where they got the ore, maybe the picked it from a station). The problem I have with this isn’t that it would be helpful to have a corpmate with a hauling ship but that it mean new players would not have a fast align mining ship. I mean frigates existed, but most t1 frigates aren’t as agile as a venture unless you slap on an inertia stab.

two cruisers used to have mining bonus’ . the osprey could fit 3 mining lasers on it’s turret hard-points , while still fitting two missile launchers and a point . before crime watch , someone stealing from you would become blinky to you and your corp , and bait-ospreys were not uncommon …

2 Likes

I would not recommend mining as an alpha in anything the venture, destroyers don’t have the fitting space without blinging and yea a battleship has technically more yield but the increased cost ist better spend on saving for omega time and getting a barge asap.

If you want to mine but are unhappy with its yield but can’t afford omega yet go gas huffing. You can do this as Alpha and you get way more isk through it. Its more risky tho but the increased risk is definitely worth it.

2 Likes

Believe it or not, using destroyers to mine with and dumping jet cans full of ore used to be a very popular thing in New Eden. Then pirates came along and started flipping or stealing the ore in Capsuleer’s jet cans which resulted in the destroyer miner losing their haul.

Then mining barges came along and pirates started to use destroyers to gank the barges.

And then the miners realized they could make more money in Pochven running Observatory Flashpoints.

and now were back were we started

The industrial look and colors of Venture looks very good, destroyers not so.
Maybe the Cormorant looks a little ant-ish.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.