Why newbies don't stay

Yeah, if certain features would be more organic, it would feel more interesting for sure. Checking People & Places for the next mission giver, the standings system and how you switch mission givers after declining one mission from them, all that feels a bit clunky and 2004.

3 Likes

CCP will not do any more agent missions, this has been said by devs on stage at several events.

They claim it is because the tools to create missions are either outdated or non-existant and that it has nothing to do with the fact that creating missions in a 15 year old format is not as exciting or as good for your CV as emergent AI npc development.

2 Likes

Eve is ont really Ă  kids game. Ive read some disturbing comments on local chat. That being said. The web is alot worse

1 Like

There’s a thread on page 1 complaining about the latest update, with lots of replies commenting on how they hate mobiles aggroing them and so on. Not sure that’s the way to go, at least not in it’s current form :wink:

But I agree, the mission system is really antiquated, something new is needed, and newbies should be thought of as a factor.

1 Like

People are leaving because CCP changing sandbox for worse, not because people don’t know what to do in it. I logged last time maybe a month ago? They destroyed my sandbox gameplay to chase “mythical new player retention” by dumbing down in game instruments. The sole reason that retention exist is: EvE is sandbox, people who asks " what to do next?" haveno place here. Sadly CCP went into themepark route and keep losing and losing.

6 Likes

Watching the Rookie chat in game tells another story. One of the most frequent questions asked is “now what?”, with people being lost with all the options at hand, and no tangible goals to pursue… and everything that looks worthwhile, also looking unattainable in what a new player would assume reasonable time.

5 Likes

It may appear antiquated but the overall spectrum of activities in missions is greater than anything else that CCP threw into the wild with regards to PVE. Just look at Invasions: It’s just warping around shooting the ever same things and go into conduits.
In missions you have different opponents, you have to balance standings, you have different types of activties, you can combine things to create variety. You can have different triggers for different events. You can run them solo or with a group if you want to. Invasions are boring and tedious by comparison.

Either way, there just need to be more things to do. And CCP ought to stop putting all things in one basked and ignore everything else that has a proven track record of entertaining, engaging players and that keeps them playing.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, what I was thinking of was more like… newbies are part of a starter corp, but they never =do= anything for or with those corps.
What if corps pursued their goals, and you’d contribute, or get out and enter the world of player corporations? There must be more interesting content possible than the career missions, and then “the agency”.

The agency is actually not a bad thing, I hope they keep working on it.

2 Likes

Good point

Heh heh

It depends on what is behind “now what” question? I had that in my carrer but it was about fits, sites, etc. It wasn’t “what should I do here?” because I knew I was playing sandbox, and it was not the first one I played. I set my goals in here. I had fun fullfiling them. Ratting, exploring, missions, mining, PI.

1 Like

If you know what you want, then that’s cool. 200 out of 10.000 newbies every 90 days are in your position, but 9.800 have no answer. That’s quite some loss, was interesting to see that number, and directly from CCP.

It’s kinda obvious that for everyone here on this forum, a lack of guidance, or whatever other reason was not making us drop the game like a hot potato. We’re still here, and using the forums means we care about EVE. That’s the crux, trying to figure out what newbies with different expectations than us (when we started) is tough.

I know when I started to play EVE in 2006, with a small group of others from another game (Jumpgate, and none of them is still here either), I had enough fun to stay. But that’s also 13 years ago, and I’m not sure I’d dig this game the same way were I to start from scratch, with no memories of EVE, as a complete newbie with sparkling eyes.

5 Likes

Running missions and all that goes with that, is the only way To start this game as Ă  noob. You need To learn To shoot before you walk.

And? Again if player don’t know what sandbox mean should we change the gameplay toward him? Someone at CCP thought it would be better for new players to show them sites at the agency. It broke the gameplay for many explorers. Was it worth it?

2 Likes

I dont have Ă  clue on how to improve missions for noobs.

Why does it have to be a binary this or that? It can still be a sandbox with some newbie guidance, it won’t turn into a theme park by making it easier to find out what to do and how to get there for people who try to find something they like in this game.

I don’t understand your radical way to think. Maybe I’m just misunderstanding you though.

1 Like

“Why newbies don’t stay”

Simple, most the players who start playing EVE do not have the emotional fortitude to lose a ship without quitting. Sore losers as it were, emotionally weak, they die, they quit.

Some come here on the forums and demand the game be changed from a PvP game to a care bear PvE game, then after a few months of whining, they quit.

Good riddance.

4 Likes

It is not an excuse for lack of guidance. The problem of the newbies is not “how to play the game”, they don’t know what they can play in the game.

4 Likes

I guess that’s part of it, and people who can’t stand to be killed in PVP won’t enjoy this game for long… but that’s calculated loss, and a way lower number than the “200 out of 10k remain” they showed at North.

Its a game for naturally inquisitive people who enjoy a learning experience.

1 Like