Why so many scammers on Char Bazaar nowadays?

and someone just got scammed as well…

1 Like

if CCP doesn’t do something about this soon, the character bazaar forum system will break soon…too many scamming going on at the moment. I hope CCP can take real legal action lawsuit against whoever is behind all this once caught.

1 Like

There is a pattern to the character scams. It is usually higher SP pilots worth 50 bill or more, the seller accepts a at or below SP extraction value bid, They may try to negotiate in game so that they can have more than one person send them ISK, there is usually a lack of information and no time put into making the post.

Red Flags:
Low buyout value
Quick sales under 30 min
Accepting the first bid that is placed
Lack of REQUIRED information ( I see allot of people buying characters that are missing required information.)

People should also try and confirm if the transfer is going to be through PLEX or CC. If they are transferring by credit card and it sounds like they are going to transfer right away and an hour or two passes you should create a ticket ASAP. By giving them multiple days it makes their job of RMTing easier and they have a much higher chance of getting away with it.

In my opinion if people start staying clear of red flags then the scammer numbers will drop. I stopped trading characters months ago because the scamming got out of control for my standards. I just recently came back to see that the market got even worse.

1 Like

@Alocose here is an active sell thread that matches some of your highlighted criterias: WTS 109 mil SP Pilot

posted 3 hours ago and accepted the first bid under extraction price… now seller is actively trying to contact the first bidder to send him ISK ASAP. even now, the seller just replied to my post on his thread. 99% scam i believe…let’s wait and see.

I think we have a real SERIAL SCAMMER here… just 1 dude behind all this.

1 Like

It is defiantly suspicious because of the SP amount and it is also a fairly quick sale for a pilot of that level. Personally I would stay away, but there is still a chance that it is legit. Most pilots with characters around that SP are going to want a min of 100-105 bill.

1 Like

Another tip is to refresh the SP right before you send ISK and give it 10-15 min I have caught a few scammers extracting the character before they even have the ISK :smile:

1 Like

I am that buyer and now you have me real worried.
I’m already worried about a sale I may of rushed into this morning before coffee.
I wish ccp would implement some type of pre sale checks and of holding before being able to post sales.

1 Like

go for it, buy it. you’ll make a profit extracting… but if it turns out to be a scam, let me remind you that CCP is dealing with a lot of scam cases right now so don’t expect to see your isk refund until after 3-4 weeks… i’m still waiting for my isk refund from 2 scams. good luck

1 Like

Good lord, I am happy I backed out of that one then. Ended up buying another one for under extract and was kind of suspicious. But logged in and the guy was sending mails to people saying he is selling the character and that they should know the next person won’t be them. So I figure it’s a legit transaction and it’s been on my account for 24-48 hours now, don’t quite remember. So I think I am in the clear

Yea i just looked at that one, instead of 41 mil SP, it is 21 Mil SP according to eveskill
I saw some guy that was going through, not an ISD and trying to get people to post the correct info. Some people are salty and wanted to report him… I think if more people would try to help hold those posting in the bazaar accountable maybe the scams could be cut down… especially if someone like the @ISD_Sakimura could keep a closer eye on the bazaar to cut down on the scamming.

1 Like

I get a lot of salt when I post in threads asking them to do it correctly or to not try to mislead in their title. It’s quite fun when they are salty, and even better when they understand their mistake, say thanks and fix it.

1 Like

I imagine stating you applied is enough to disqualify since it’s my understanding that there should be no connection or thought of connection between an ISD and their player account

1 Like

Confirmed the tokens for that pilot have been revoked (or he was transferred, but I assume not) {"error":"invalid_token","error_description":"Token is no longer valid."}

Tokkmar’s are as well.

1 Like

@Brock_Khans yeah for sure it’s a scam. the seller went missing, no response whatsoever from him. Haven’t received any email about pilot being transfered to my account. Just checked account, nothing there. Scam for sure.

1 Like

So disappointed

1 Like

I actually brought this up with CCP last night. I can’t say any more than that, but its not an unknown issue.

4 Likes

Glad you agree about escrow. It would hurt me a LOT to be scammed. I am not a high wage earner RL OR Eve, but it is something I find enjoyment in and I choose to subscribe. To wait two, three months to be made whole would SUCK for me!

CCP will help tou and make you whole, but it will take some time for them to research. I am sorry that you are worried!

Because I don’t make enough in Eve to buy Plex, I really do not know how to compute what is under extraction value for a set number of skills. Can someone give me a link where I can learn and watch out for it? I could never ever buy a high SP chara like the ones you are discussing, but still would like to know. I pay for my sub RL money, so never did Plex.

I guess i am also got scammed on that one.