Why so many tiny corporations?

You’re looking at it wrong.
Nobody wants to join a large corp and somehow be the only one online. You’ll feel isolated and have no backup when you need it.
Voice comms is mostly for intel, but of course you get people that shoot the ■■■■ with each other.
Small corps exist for a variety of reasons. Most people tend to want to run an empire, and finding people to help you do that can be tough.

Plain and simple:

Stay in your corp and stay in HS.

Yes its a game, but you have to be able to interact and see what is going on. Discord/Mumble/Teamspeak, these are VITAL yes for communication and fleets, regardless if its a mining fleet, combat fleet, or standing fleet. If you arent willing to at least install and chill in these, even with no talking, then you are basically saying to every prospective corporation that utilizes them, you arent willing to be apart of their community, and you are just using them.

Most everyone has a cell phone now, so they can be gotten a hold of without having to be in front of the person who wants to talk to them. The out of game programs are important for so many reason, them being a requirement make sense. Server crashes? you loose connection? if you use in game coms, you are cut off, and now, you arent part of it and you are just gone. In a game like eve, thats very detrimental. discord allows for text channels, pings, posts, announcements, which can give you information that you may want/need for later. you can still communicate with your fellow corp or alliance mates via these platforms too, without having to be in game. This makes it more connected to the group you are part of. the community you are apart of.

likely you said, “No i wont use discord”. As a CEO, i would have at least asked, “Why not?” and if you were up front with me, as you said you wish people would be, my answer would have been, "you dont have to talk, just be in there so you can see pings, announcements and can join coms when fleets come up to join in and hear the directions as such. or just to join in teh chit chat while guys are online. i wouldnt make you talk unless you wanted to.

Eve is different from alot of other games, yes there are requirements for a reason. you have to protect your space, if you are asking to join a null sec corp, they will require you to move down and be with them. it makes zero sense to belong to an entity and never interact or be around them. moving to where they are at, also builds community, friendship, comradery, but it takes BEING there and seeing them for that to work right. otherwise, again, why are you even apart of that group if you arent going to join in?

SP requirements: this can be if corps dont want to have to hand hold new players all the time, this is a deep intricate game if you never have played it before. it also (tho not as much anymore) helps dilute spais from getting in as setting a requirement used to mean time spent in game. SP also means you can likely fly the doctrines that the corp/alliance has to use. Meaning you can get in the ship and use it because you should have the basics trained up. Magic 14 being the first you should have.

Vital in combat: this is GENERALLY used by pvp oriented corps/alliances or NS/WH entities. you live out there, you HAVE to PVP. which means you HAVE to be on coms to be in fleet. Coordination is key and that means everyone on the same software, same coms, same wavelength as much as possible, and SOV needs to be protected so you dont loose your home out in NS. or your citadel in WH space. So you HAVE to communicate, and even if you made the ship, it doesnt replace you being IN a ship IN fleet. Your pod in a ship in the fleet laying down fire, even with crap skills, is better than you sitting in a station because pvp isnt what you wanted to do. NS/WH demand it. living there, its a requirement. dont want to do that, fine, live in HS/LS and run from any combat. Thats a perfectly optional choice. BUT know where you are going before looking at those as silly/stupid demands. Butts in fleet is more important than the fact you made 30 ships, 100 ships, 2000 ships…your not in fleet, your not pulling your weight. someone else would have made those ships, and been in fleet either way.

Your reason for creating your own corp, where only you live, where only you do anything to escape having to do anything with anyone else, is why there are so many little corps. dont want to fly under someone else’s flag/banner/rule/fist, thats PERFECTLY ok! but dont complain about it when what you do and say is exactly WHY people put requirements in the first place. to weed out those that wont be a benefit for the corp/alliance/coalition or aren’t willing to work with the community they would join.

I am in my own corp, which i created because i didnt like how some of the other alliances i had been with ran things. i didnt agree with their policies and their thought processes. to me, the line members are the important ones, not isk. not isk generation, not political clout, and not glory. BUT i understood that community is important, and i understand that certain things must be weighed in order to make what i feel is important happen. I do roughly 5-10 hours/week of admin work, boring boring admin work, and back end updating and infrastructure realignment for my alliance. its just stuff that has to be done when running a community. i require my alliance members to have discord installed and joined, and participate in discusses both in game and out of game via discord. i encourage people to join coms when not in a fleet to talk, build our community, and talk and get to know each other. i hope to setup a server that can automate alot of things for me, to make it safer for my alliance mates and corp mates to be able to play the game the way they want to play it as much as i can possible. These things take time, energy and work to have setup so my members can have an enjoyable and safe game time.

Its been compared to another job. Do i love doing this work? NOPE! but for my alliance members and fleet members, to make em happy, ill do it. i would honestly love to talk more to you privately mate if you would want to, and i hope you find what you need in the game!

1 Like

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. I don’t know why the idea of talking to strangers over the internet appeals to so many people. For me, it just seems pointless to install some third party software that I am never, ever going to use, just to prove something to some stranger in a game. As a life-long stutterer I am not going to subject myself to any kind of pressure on Discord or any other type of speaking software. Period. I don’t care about joining in the “chit chat while other guys are online.” I care about playing the game.

You talk about “requirements for a reason.” Well, for me, this is a game. The only people who are allowed to require anything from me are my employer and my wife. Eve is just entertainment. A break from the pressures of real life.

The purpose of in-game chat is…communication. Interaction. Using in-game chat builds in-game comraderie, community and friendship. That is what it’s there for. Why is that not enough? No matter. To each his own.

• p.s. : My main character is now in a very nice alliance. They use Discord; I don’t. I participate in fleet mining when I feel like it, and have fun like everyone else. It works out just fine. Discord is NOT necessary to have a pleasant fleet experience.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.