Why talking about Skillpoints makes me happy

At the end of the day you are not the pixels in the game but the heart that powers your capsule. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I found the thread you talk about.

Someone advertised selling a character they call a ā€˜trade alt’.

Geo mentions that with practically zero standings it is not a trade alt, which I would say is a fair warning to buyers who come expecting a trade alt with both skills and standings.

I’m not too familiar with standings as I try to avoid it, but I do know that it gets significantly harder to gain standings the higher you get them, which means the first step to 1.5 is practically free, while it’s the higher standings that cost a lot of effort or ISK to get a trade alt to a good position for low taxes.

I think it’s a fair warning to buyers that this character still requires a lot of investment to be a trade alt.

What’s the problem, are you the seller and feel called out for false advertisement?

3 Likes

nothing to see here

That is not a lot for a trader, even a relatively small one.

Which is nice for buy orders, but your sell orders will not move there at a reasonable rate.

Anyway, Geo is right.

4 Likes

This may be the first time someone called me an ā€˜entitled high sec carebear’!

5 Likes

i never once even said anything about ā€œmaxā€ standings, i just said they had almost no standings.. eve then most often people just want the corp reduction and not the faction reduction as it is more expensive. but theres only one way we use, to share faction standings.

ftfy!

3 Likes

It’s a f**k ton of work, I’ll tell you that. Especially if you want anything over 9.0. Calling a 9.5 standing a ā€œgrindā€ is putting it lightly. And a 9.9 standing is freaking ridiculous (been there, done that - took me several days with 3 characters just to get someone from 9.5 to 9.9).

2 Likes

Done this recently for caldari standings in jita (cal navy and cal state), for corp standings, ballpark is that 8 to 9.5, is about the same work you need for 0-8. and 9.5 to 9.9 will be around same as the 8 to 9.5 part, so in short 8-9.9 is twice the effort of 0-8. For state ones, don’t bother after 5 … only way to share these is epic arcs, so time wise (and also price if you pay someone to do it) 0-5 state standing is 5x more work than that 0-8 corp .. it’s brutal.

That’s why I commented on the original sales thing … The toon was priced right, for what it is - base SP shell with focused trading skills. If he was an actual trader, there’s no chance you’d get those 9m sp for 6b, because the standings alone would be worth 30b+ . (edit here - that is for each faction/station, so if you were mad enough to have 1 trader hopping between hubs, rip wallet and sanity).

2 Likes

If you want a real challenge - get your state to an unmodified 10.0.

1 Like

all above are unmodified, because that’s the only thing that matters when trading … Social or whatever skills are not taken into account for taxes.

By the title, I thought you meant setting your character skills up for trading, not selling a character. I think the whole standing issue is a non-issue from my perspective. That just depends on who you want to do business with, but I keep my standing fairly balanced on, Darkstar, my trading character.

I place skills above standings.

1 Like

It’s my posting. Good lord this has spiralled.

How is it a fair warning when all of the information is clearly linked? Nothing was hidden. And the price reflects exactly what it is. This whole conversation is just about what I called the character in the posting title.

It’s a cheap toon heavily focused in trade skills. At this point I am just not sure what I was supposed to call it. Do you really believe anyone seriously looking for a high standings trader would have been taken in by my ā€˜false advertising’?

Actually I’ll tell you what. Have a look at the character and you tell me precisely what I should have listed it as. I will rename it in the title.

it’s basically useless as a combat pilot.

It has the VAST majority of skills in Trade. Retail V, Wholesale V, Tycoon IV, Broker relations V, Accounting V. Hundreds of million of isk worth of injected tradeskills. Is 90% of the way to max possible market orders. Has over 75% of theoretical maximum tax reduction.

what should I have called it? I’ll change it.

2 Likes

And, of course, you are right to do so.

From Chat GPT, fwiw:

The numbers make the point pretty clearly. Take the most extreme case. Iimagine a 100m ISK trade where a completely unskilled character with no standings only just breaks even. A character with Broker Relations V and Accounting V, but still no standings, would make about 6.2m on that same trade. A theoretically perfect trader with V/V skills and max standings would make around 6.85m. So even in the scenario where standings matter the most, the V/V no-standings character is already getting over 90% of the maximum possible profit.

And the gap gets smaller very quickly as margins go up. If the unskilled character is making a 10% profit, the V/V no-standings trader makes about 16.9m versus 17.5m for the absolute theoretical maximum. That’s over 95% of max profit. It just goes up as margins increase. So yes, standings matter, especially if you’re doing huge volume on razor-thin margins. But they’re really just an ā€˜optimization’ on top of an already very efficient trader. The skills are doing most of the work.

1 Like

nothing to see here

1 Like

So sales ads are off limits to express opinion? If the product is legit and the ask price is fair no amount of negative comments is going to deter someone from buying. Take the negative comments as free advertising. But if you’re not selling it fairly, then I get why you would be upset.

Woahthisisworthless.jpg

Accounting and Broker Relations are only rank 3 and 2, respectively, and have no lengthy prerequisites, making them very fast trains. This makes them essentially a standard requirement for every trader.

5/5 skills with no standings is not a ā€œvery efficient traderā€, it is basically a barely-adequate, meets-minimum-requirements trader. Perfectly fine for selling off your mission loot or whatever, but I wouldn’t do any volume on it.

2 Likes

Interesting to be talking about other people on the forum like that if you’re one to spam AI chat on it yourself with no interest in interacting with others, One Ugly Cat.

Wow, the amount of armchair quarterbacks in this thread posting mostly incorrect hearsay while acting like they’re experts on the topic is unbelievable…

First of all, a Market Trade character would be a character that has all of the Trade skills max trained… That’s it… Now it would also be a plus if that’s a fresh character with all of the Social skills max trained as well…

And when I say fresh I mean a character with basically neutral / no standings or low positive standings… Reason being is it allows the player to quickly set up the character with the appropriate standings for a specific Trade location of their choice…

Read that again…

Reason being is it allows the player to quickly set up the character with the appropriate standings for a specific Trade location of their choice…

As for the standings required to get a huge break on Brokers Fee, that can easily be done within a week or two, probably even faster, just by working all of the agents listed in the ā€˜Faction Standing Repair Plan’ for the specific Faction and Corporation that you want..

In this case that would be Caldari State Faction and Caldari Navy Corporation..

Now getting this Trade character standings up quickly will involve doing a little bit of PvE while costing a lot of ISK to buy various Agent items from Public Contracts and Regional Markets… But hey, this is for a main Trade character which will quickly and easily make a lot of profit from it’s initial investment…

And another thing, getting the huge break on Brokers Fee doesn’t mean the character has to have max +10 Faction and +10 Corp standing… All that’s actually needed to get very close to max low Brokers Fee is +8.00 Faction and +9 Corp standing… That can be done easily and quickly just by working the Caldari State Agents listed in ā€˜The Plan’… In fact +10 Corp standing can easily be gained compared to +10 Faction standing due to the diminishing returns mechanic for Faction standings…

So, just by working ā€˜The Plan’, the Faction can be quickly raised to +8 standing… However, Corporation will unfortunately only get up to about +6 standing so a little bit of regular mission grinding will have to be done… Running high level Distribution Agent missions can quickly raise Corporation standing up to +9 and higher…

Course the main aspect of quickly doing this is it’ll cost ISK… But like I said earlier, the initial investment is nothing compared to the potential profits a max skilled high standing Trade character can gain…

Other than that, I advise using a high skilled Combat character to complete the Caldari State Cosmos agent missions and Caldari Lv 4 Epic Arc for the Trade character, that would greatly help in quickly completing those tasks…

And that’s pretty much it…

DMC
o7

1 Like

Lots of status gatekeeping going on here.

A max skilled trading alt IS pretty effective. Denying this is just semantics. You are basically saying that 90%+ of theoretical max is just, by your definition, barely adequate

3 Likes