Why there is almost no loot in level 4 highsec missions?

salvage value evolves with market.

yep, salvage values have been up and down a lot lately thanks to citadels. Citadel rigs use a ton of salvage so it’s been pushing up some prices. This summer I picked up a big stack of 15k armor plates, lets just say I’m happy they are 50k now

1 Like

I wish I’d kept the hundreds of Elite Drone AIs I once had…

1 Like

If you like looting, try belt ratting. Nearly all belt rats drop loot, with a chance of a faction spawn.

edit: some years ago, rat loot used to be VERY valuable. I remember rats in Aridia dropping meta damage control modules that were worth 20m or something. Meta medium shield extenders, warp scramblers and warp disruptors also sold for 3m-6m each.

Then CCP took the loot table into an alley and beat the snot out of it. Now looting is worthless.

2 Likes

I actually belt ratted as a noob and I have to say it took at least 25 faction rats to get a good drop.

Please be specific, which space eg. Sansha/Guristas/Serpentis/Amarr etc. and security status eg. High/Low/Nullsec ?

most loot was at the point where it was worth mineral value outside a handful of meta 3/4 items. on the old forums there was a post with a list of items where meta4 was better than t2. And for those items you could usually get some isk for them.

The damage control you mention had slightly worse stats than t2 but used way less CPU. It was somewhat rare so it had a good price for a long time. The meta 3 version was the one most people used on cheap fits and even that was worth a mil or two if I remember right. Scrams/webs were both pretty similar.

Now that the loot tables are compressed pretty much all the meta loot drops pretty frequently, and have pretty decent stocks from old drops being converted. When they redid medium shield extenders I bought up a lot of one of the mid tier ones for cheap, and sold them after the change as they were converted to compact. Off the top of my head that’s one of the most valuable post-tiericide meta items

1 Like

I blame it all on ex-CCP Soundwave & Co. He had a major snuff grudge against anything that generated easy ISK.

He spearheaded the removal of Drone loot, he advocated the constant nerfing of all loot tables across the board, he pushed for all Tech 1 Meta 0 module loot to be turned into Metal Scraps, he also tried to have the ability of gaining Data Cores from Research Agents removed from the game. In the end he settled for reduced Research Point’s generation with an ISK fee added to redeem Data Cores as well as have them added to Factional Warfare LP stores to cut their Market value. He was the one who coined the phrase ‘Gun-Mining’ and lumped all those things I listed together as Passive ISK generation.

Yeah, I blame it all on ex-CCP Soundwave & Co.

4 Likes

As much as I disagreed with Soundwave, you seem to be forgetting that everything you just placed at his feet originated in, and was heavily backed by, the player base.

You can blame him for listening to players, but at the end of the day it is the player’s “fault”.

3 Likes

Sorry dude, the only thing I’m forgetting is probably a few other major nerfs he put into action.

I definitely don’t remember the playerbase asking for that crap. Granted there were a few threads in favor of those changes, all posted by his small and loyal supporters, which was a small percentage of the playerbase. I remember most players were opposed to those changes.

1 Like

Not surprising. Most people forget things that don’t fit within their preferred narrative.

Less snarky: you were not active in the industry and marketing threads or channels. There was a lot of support for those changes there…with the exception of data core changes which were split evenly.

And generally, there was a desire to remove passive income across the spectrum.

4 Likes

Aside from implants, even missions like Beserk, Damsel and Zazzmatazz aren’t worth looting anymore (nervermind salvaging).

Sounds like supply for named items is outstripping demand.

CCP should nerf drop rate. Divide current rate by 10 and see how things are in 6mo!

This is an especially critical step for CCP with the new forging mechanic coming!

Next time try posting the entire statement instead of cherry picking a small sub-section and then portray it out of context.

You weren’t active in the ‘Missions and Complexes’ sub-forum threads or channels which were vehemently opposed to those changes. Those nerfs were directed almost exclusively towards mission and exploration runners, not Industry or Marketing.

Personally I don’t give a rats ass how you remember it. I can just as easily say your memory is faulty and incorrect. Regardless if that’s true or not, I still stand by what I originally said, Ex-CCP Soundwave & Co promoted, orchestrated and implemented various plans with specific steps to be done at different times to ensure that any form of ‘Passive ISK’ would be nerfed 6 feet under.

1 Like

I too don’t recall there being a particular uproar about the removal of most loot from missions. The position had long been, like chainsaw says, move on to the next mission was generally more profitable than wasting time looting wrecks (outside of missions with tags in). Not all ascribed to this ethos it is true, but on the whole it was generally accepted.

That is why, back then, there were services which offered to loot and salvage your wreck fields for you for 50% of the market value. Because most people just moved on to the next mission. Sure, there were people who wanted to loot and salvage everything. But those people tended to be the people who weren’t maximizing their potential income whilst conversely struggling to comprehend how other people were consistently making 100m ph + from missioning. I know because, way back in 2006-7, I was one of them.

Let me be clear, the people who looted and salvaged everything were not making more than everybody else. It was largely, outside of a few missions, a complete waste of time. Outside of niche professions, such as looting services and buying services, I doubt the majority of the player-base gave two hoots. Sure people (like yourself maybe DMC?) may have gotten up in arms on the forums about loot being nerfed. But that is not to say they were right.

To the OP. It is not just high-sec, the lack of loot is prevalent throughout low-sec and null-sec. Unless the rat is named differently (e.g. Dread Guristas, Dark Blood, etc etc) don’t bother checking, it is just nerfing your potential isk per hour by wasting a few minutes of your time. The caveat I’ll offer is missions against high sec factions, e.g Caldari Navy rats, because they’ll have tags worth a fuckton [this is particularly relevant if you are mission-ing in null-sec].

If you have a second account to salvage and loot then go for it. BUT, and this is a big but, train that account to be able to in time help you run missions. You’ll make more from dual boxing DPS ships in a mission than have one DPS ship and one loot/salvage ship. E.G. Twice DPS = half mission time. LP is the key, not shitty, shitty loot.

Always check the differently named wrecks. Just forget the rest and move on.

And just since, thanks to these new forums, it is possible to see that DMC is potentially rage-typing a reply.

It is AWESOME to realise that bitter-vets are not just ex null-sec PVPers like myself, but high-sec PVEers too. Love you bro.

1 Like

We must have been in different forums because there’s been a hell of a lot more threads about loot drops being nerfed then threads asking for it to happen. If you or anybody else says otherwise then you’re all talking smack.

I’ve been an active member of this community since 2008. After the Apocrypha Expansion in 2009 I was easily making over 100mill an hr doing missions and running all exploration sites which included doing full loot and salvage. In fact that was the standard advice / rule of thumb back then. A few yrs later when Ninja Salvaging started to become a career choice is when the Salvage corps started doing biz and then the nerf hammer started swinging. Eventually the loot tables were hit so much that it became customary to just ignore the wrecks and move on. Then came the min/max blitz policy to which you’re referring.

4 Likes

Once upon a time you could actually make a career as a salvager. You had whole corporations and teams of players willing to join in salvage ops. And that wasn’t that long ago…

3 Likes

It’s back far enough I can’t remember the specifics of who was happy/unhappy with the changes. But from a game design perspective it was the right move, gun mining made normal mining mostly obsolete. Sure I liked sitting in a marauder and looting something like damsel or gone berserk then selling the good stuff and melting down the rest and making battleships with the minerals. But BS were so cheap you could insure them, self destruct them and make isk.

It’s also hard to think about isk/hr back then, I don’t remember there being many posts about it, or people comparing what they were doing. Kinda funny searching google for isk per hour and finding one of your own posts in the first result, RentableMuffin is one of my characters In this thread I said 80mil/hr, and almost everyone else was saying less. https://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=1337815

45mil/hr looting + salvaging in a golem 2009 (and people were calling for nerfs) https://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=1111964

I found another thread with people claiming around 100mil/hr in nullsec farming anoms. https://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=topic&threadID=1390789

Cherry picking is a rather “new” thing, at least for most people. I assume my 80mil/hr was getting 3-5k isk/lp and just accepting every mission I got offered, including couriers. If I were blitzing and cherry picking back then I’d have much higher isk/hr.

you still can, move out to null and clean up behind ratters. Lots of high bounty BS wrecks leave a lot of loot/salvage.

3 Likes