Winter duFallen for CSM 13

Who is Winter?

My Eve journey actually started 6 months before I started playing. A good friend of mine saw an opportunity for a video game to help his friend. He pushed me to play and I shrugged him off. Until one day, he said he was coming over for the weekend and that I better have the game downloaded. After that moment, after the countless Eve promotional videos he had sent me, it was here that I was hooked.

I logged in and started doing what everyone in Eve does - the starter missions. Within the first week of that, I was bored to hell. Within that first six months, my friend told me that Eve was what you made of it. The story was yours to create and you could become whatever you wanted to.

So I decided to become a space pirate and shamelessly started stealing mission runners loot and from jet can miners in HS. This unfortunately did not sit well with the newbean HS corp I was in. They politely had a conversation with me, asked me to leave, and helped me find a new corp that more fit my play style.

So naturally, I found myself in a WH corp which was where all the cool pirates hung out in back in the day. The vets quickly became my mentors and pushed me to not just play in WHs or learn game mechanics but to experience aspects of the game which caught my interest, such as my first Hulkagedon. It was from here that I first started learning about corp politics and intel gathering from, my humble opinion, one of the best teachers I could have had.

During this time I became more involved in the player community. Eve is and always will be for me a social game. So I spent countless hours with the Eve Radio community, the incursion community, and other communities such as NPSI fleets and newbean help groups. During this, I got to know the people who played the game. The stories and adventures that other people had inspired me. I was fascinated by their various tales of conquests, defeat, and epic battles. It was here during many late night conversations that I learned that the community made the game.

Since then, I moved onto LS and follow my heart. So I became a pirate living in what I considered was one of the most dangerous systems in Eve - Rancer. This was home. I realized here that my influence could be used to inspire others. I developed a sense of finding others with similar goals to mine. In helping others reach their goals, I was achieving my own. This idea has become a fundamental one in my current play style and how I approach problems and dealing with other players.

Finally, I have once again found a home in null. I am currently a member of Slyce. (Glory to the CR3W!) Most of the things I am involved with here must remain Opsec. Needless to say, I hold a unique position within my corporation and alliance and have influence.

I have held various positions within every group I have been a part of. Those titles include FC, moderator, diplomat, alliance director, and corp director. The groups I have been involved in include the incursion community, NPSI groups, newbean groups, B4R, Eve Radio, and more.

Why do you want to be a CSM?

That answer is easy. To give back to a community that has given me so much.

A year ago my corp mates suggested that I run for CSM. I thought that they were joking at the time. However, they saw in me something that had been developed during the course of several years - the ability to reach out and communicate with others, to get others involved in a game and community I so dearly love, to make the impossible a reality, and to engage others in ways that make them feel involved. Basically, they see in me a leader whereas I see me as just being myself.

There has always been a constant though. I have always been willing to step up when needed.

My focus as CSM is the retention of old players (those that are playing and others that are not), getting new players into the game, and creating an environment that keeps our content creators from burning out.

What do you want to do as CSM?

Okay. So enough of the flowery speech. This is what I want to do, change, and influence.

Point 1 - Make UI changes that allow corporation, alliance, and coalition leaders to better manage their prospective groups.

Our leaders spend an unimaginable amount of time on administrative things and not enough time playing. These are our content creators and the people who help us play the game. Letā€™s get CCP to make their jobā€™s easier! Suggestions include:

• Adding things like alliance and coalition BMs and ship fittings.
  • Being able to search through eve mails by text or sender.
  • Being able send eve mails to specific corporations in an alliance or coalition.
  • Share DScans without alt tabing.
  • Streamline applications to coalitions and alliances.
  • Streamline corporation roles.
  • Setting up alliance taxes (as a flat rate or percentage).
  • Having contact lists within eve mails.

Letā€™s free up the content creatorsā€™ time so that they can actually create content!

Point 2 - Give new players influence and power through a change in the bounty system.

Letā€™s face it. The bounty system is broken and has been broken since I started playing. So we as a player base have two options. Either CCP fixes this or we will step up as a player base and do it together. And yes, I will use my position as CSM to get this done.

Point 3 - Promote content creators who fall outside of the traditional corporation, alliance, and coalition roles.

I have two idea for this.

• In-game rewards.
  • Since communication is everything, a better system to promote their events.

Point 4 - Make an in-game instructional video for new players on some of the more technical aspect of the game (like grouping drones, etc).

Letā€™s give the people who reach out to the newbean community opportunities to actually spend time with them other than just explaining how to do things.

How do I get in touch with you?

My in-game channel is ā€˜.Serious Business.ā€™ Eve mail me. Open a convo. Seriously, I will listen and reply.

18 Likes

First. GL Winter you got my vote.

2 Likes

Aww. Thank you!

1 Like

Mine too chicky, will pass this on to my corp too :smiley:

2 Likes

You have the support of everyone here at the Ancients.Coalition and my vote.

Best of luck to a very intelligent lady.

Fishā€¦ that is all o7

2 Likes

In an effort to make a conscious decision, itā€™d be amazing if you could answer a few queries of mine.

(This one might sound silly, butā€¦) What do you mean by ā€œcontent creatorā€? Do you mean purely streamers and YouTubers, or are you referring to a broader term, such as people that create and administrate player made events?

About point 2, while Iā€™m on board with an overhaul of the bounty mechanics, I want to ask you if you have any concrete ideas of what should change and how those changes would affect our gameplay experience.

2 Likes

Awwwww yissssss
Good luck on your run :wink:

3 Likes

What do you mean by ā€œcontent creatorā€? Do you mean purely streamers and YouTubers, or are you referring to a broader term, such as people that create and administrate player made events?

I mean any organization that creates fleets on a regular basis for random pilots of New Eden, such as incursion groups, mining groups, bombers bar, the mate fleets, and so on.

About point 2, while Iā€™m on board with an overhaul of the bounty mechanics, I want to ask you if you have any concrete ideas of what should change and how those changes would affect our gameplay experience.

I have two ideas regarding this that I was going to outline in a different post. One has CCP backing and requires their assistance. The other is contingent on CCP not fixing the issue. It requires player backing. Basically (as a very simple run down), I want to treat bounties like job boards in other games. Instead of going to kill orcs or some silliness, you would be rewarded for killing a single player. Payouts would be weighted by KM - enough to make them profitable but not enough to encourage insurance scam like kills.

I would like to expand more on this and will be doing so in a later post. But I hope that gives you some idea as to where I am headed with this.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

3 Likes

U can have my vote my queen.

2 Likes

Of course you have my vote and the votes/support of No-Mercy! As if you didnā€™t already know that

2 Likes

Youā€™re ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  awesome Winter and Iā€™ll put in my vote for you. Illake sure to pass this on :heavy_heart_exclamation:ļø

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be reading more but so far it looks like youā€™ll have my vote.

2 Likes

okay so about point 3, do you have any specifics on how you are thinking of getting these in game rewards and how to create a better system either by making a new one or by improving an existing one?

And about point 4, are you saying that if you are in the CSM you will make videos or is this just an idea you have for other people to do and you will help them with that endevor, or are you suggesting that CCP make more of those Flight School videos to reflect what you are trying to create?

2 Likes

I am glad you asked. Letā€™s break this down a bit.

okay so about point 3, do you have any specifics on how you are thinking of getting these in game rewards

Our content creators work tirelessly to bring content to not one individual group but across all of New Eden. They do everything from planning, promotion, supplying ships in some instances, and so on. Without the content that some of these groups provide, some players wouldnā€™t have a game. It is about time they got some recognition for their efforts. Something to distinguish themselves from the rest of New Eden. So, why not petition CCP to create a reward for these individuals? Skins seem to be popular at the moment. So perhaps a special edition skin.

how to create a better system either by making a new one or by improving an existing one?

We have existing systems in game to communicate events, such as the in game calendar. We get notifications for CCP events. Why not be able to subscribe to get other event notifications?

Honestly, there are countless groups that provide events out there. Unless you know someone who knows about it or they stream their events or just accidentally come across an event, one would never know that they occurred. People complain about a lack of content when in reality there is a plethora of hidden content that no one hears about.

And about point 4, are you saying that if you are in the CSM you will make videos or is this just an idea you have for other people to do and you will help them with that endevor, or are you suggesting that CCP make more of those Flight School videos to reflect what you are trying to create?

I am suggesting that CCP creates how-toā€™s that can be accessed voluntarily in game to explain some of the more technical aspects of the game. They donā€™t have to cover everything. But it would make it easier for newbeans to get involved in an environment that has a steep learning curve. It would also make it easier for the people who work tirelessly with newbeans to spend their time showing new pilots just exactly what we all love about this game and not overwhelm them with technical details.

The technical details they can get on their own. Their passion they will learn from us.

2 Likes

Point 1. I see the need for some of it but most of it feels nitpicky.

• Alliance BMā€™s and fits would be cool and Iā€™d be all for it.
  • Applying to an alliance definitely needs to be fixed without a doubt. It take my pc ten minutes to load that list.
  • Corp roles seem pretty straight forward to me. An in game description is about all Iā€™d see changed. But Iā€™d like to hear your views on it

Thatā€™s all I found there that would really affect me. With decent scouts I donā€™t usually call for a dscan copy as I trust my scouts to spread out and find us people we can fight also that the info I need can be relayed quickly enough I donā€™t need it. Thatā€™s all Iā€™ll touch on for this point

Point 2. This has been an issue Iā€™ve wanted changed for a long time

• Make the bounty system into a mission
  • You go to agent, ask for a bounty and the agent will pick a bountied player at random for you to track
  • The agent will pick a price at random from 100k up to and including the full bounty on a player
  • The agent will give you a locater that stays updated with that players current system.
  • You can decline a bounty if you donā€™t think you can kill your target or if you get someone you would rather not chase.
  • You will not get yourself or anyone in your alliance
  • You will be able to activate a bounty in any security space but it activates a limited engagement timer for you only. If you fail to kill the target or they kill you then they get an increase in bounty.

Point 3. This is big for me as one of these non-traditional content creators. Wall of text incoming.

I run the WarPartyNPSI channel as well as my own corp and am the only FC for both which leaves very little time for me to do other things like isk making. Iā€™ve recently cut back the amount of fleets I offer from 5 to 2 fleets a week so I have more time to make isk and build the ships for people to use on my fleets. When I have bodies for fleets itā€™s great. Even better when they bring their own ships and know how to play. I however aim my NPSI at younger players and thus often have to provide ships and before fleet instructions out of my pocket and time. I donā€™t mind it but it is taxing some weeks. Some from of in game reward for my efforts would be really cool but Iā€™ll continue to run my fleets regardless.

However if you would like to help please send isk donations to me so I can continue to provide fun and exciting fleets for all players new and old.

Point 4.

I donā€™t have much to say here. I learned to play back when the game gave you a ship and told you to ā– ā– ā– ā–  off. I think the new player experience now is great but it could use some polish. Iā€™ve been told it seems to some new players that it kinda drops you off at the end. I know they try to funnel you into mining/industry with the free venture and the bp for a ship. I feel like its a decent starting point but I donā€™t think people come into eve cuz they saw a cool video about mining. I think it should refocus to push you to missions or some other more active option.

1 Like

Very well said. You have my vote! Iā€™ll definitely be picking your brain more about the bounty changes you have in mind as I feel like this is one of the most broken aspects of Eve right now.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll definitely be picking your brain more about the bounty changes you have in mind as I feel like this is one of the most broken aspects of Eve right now.

I look forward to it. I actually like some of the ideas that Alexsander Glazkov came up with. It was very much inline with what I had in mind except that he came up with a couple of points I have not considered. They were as follows:

• The agent will pick a price at random from 100k up to and including the full bounty on a player
  • The agent will give you a locater that stays updated with that players current system.
  • You will not get yourself or anyone in your alliance

My ideas were based around a large percentage of the KM produced. However, this would make things more interesting. And while locator agents that are currently in game could be used, having constant updates would help produce a successful bounty.

Basically, I would very much like to make bounty hunting a viable career path in New Eden. While this is a career path I will not be engaging in, I would very much enjoy being one of the hunted should that happen. (Letā€™s face it. I giggle over failed drops when I am the one being dropped on. And if you will excuse the slightly trollish comment, surprise PVP is the best PVP.)

1 Like

Can vouch for Winter.

Awesome person, very knowledgeable and her platform looks top notch.

Winter, youā€™ve got my vote. 100%.

2 Likes

Sounds good you have my vote as well.

2 Likes

I know you. Youā€™re actually smart and you care about certain types of players like myself.

2 Likes