Workers on strike

How do you know its the server? I’m sure you ran all the dev diagnostic tools and your client is just fine

also, ffs, if you all think the game is going tits up, just leave already, stop being toxic haters.

In some respects, the game’s performance has improved. Downtime is only 10 mins instead of 30 mins. However, alot of functionality has regressed coughthe agencycough, and CCP refuses to pick low-hanging fruit, like introducing dotlan-style maps that are visually readable. Trading and industry are a dice roll in busier hubs. On a good day, you’ll have quick execution. On a bad day, jobs and orders will hang, and local will spaz out or not function at all. Being 15 years old, these core issues should’ve been addressed by now. Do we need to wait another 15 years? Maybe CCP will siphon eve’s revenue to spend on more failed titles.

Maps… beta.
Chat… beta (not sure if you can call it beta, as it breaks every few days).
Launcher… beta.

Heck, even most of the events should be considered beta based on the number of bugs and glitches.

We are going beta! Seems we were playing alpha all this time. Like in Star Citizen. :thinking:

Going beta? Mac players have been in beta for the past few years…

See here: Serenity a new start and a new era - #49 by Zachri

In regards to the two factors you mentioned, devs love their work, they embrace it. They put blood, sweat and creative tears in it. But it is a job, they are just as subject to marketing as the customer. CCP has demonstrated willingness to remove/replace them over them. What you need to keep in mind is that the venture level sets targets, directives and formulates how the product level approaches these. It’s because devs take their work seriously, and do so with heart, that EVE functions in spite of 15+ years of its corporate evolution with certain oddities as well as internal undermining and a very strict roadmap towards swapping out the operational model. It’s because of them that - in spite of technical debt and grand experiments like chasing buzzwords and snagging awesome by infrastructure/services changes - the place still works.

What you’re missing is that from a business perspective CCP has every reason to focus on short track profit curves, their metrics support the strategy of minimum product viability through past experiments of increasing investment spent versus return per user and so forth.

Ofcourse, before you point it out, most of those past experiments failed due to CCP’s historic oddities, its own growth cycle as well as demonstrable intricacies of less than optimal management. But keep in mind, a lot of that was consciously allowed, even used, in order to further circumstances that would allow for pushing towards conditions where the operational model swap became unavoidable. CCP’s venture level has been responsible in many forms, directly and indirectly, deliberately and through consequences of cumulative action/inaction for undermining alternative approaches.

The product level really hasn’t been a problem ever since the historic incidents of nepotism, entanglements and the house cleaning that followed from that.

And keep in mind, CCP has never been as independant as its internal marketing always claimed.

There have been options for a different approach. Problem is, CCP’s venture level has historically failed at both embracing, exploring and engaging on those. There’s a lot of convulated personal history, decision points, influences of external type as well as certain organisational and personal oddities at play there, but it doesn’t serve much point to go into any of that on these forums. It’s history before the line in the sand either way. These days CCP no longer has options other than as described elsewhere. That affects the product level, obviously.

In that other topic I gave the example of bots. CCP’s strict approach bleeds through in everything. It’s been well known among players how wardecs were not just a “meh” game design bottleneck, but it’s been even more known to CCP. But every year the decision was made to let it continue, in spite of it demonstrably affecting retention as well as acquisition. A few fanfests ago there was a moment where some players engaged Hilmar and some devs on the topic, it was remarkable how different worlds were at play, where the devs had no idea and Hilmar did. Classic case of product level blindspots following from directives set. Classic case also of strict bottom line prioritisation. Don’t spend more per user, metrics show return is the same anyway, and so forth. Only when the same amount of investment can (read: has to) enable / reinforce a new/secondary tier of return is it worth it.

The same applies to these services/infrastructure dramas. Product level does what it can, but it simply can’t do more than move between the boundaries set by venture level. It is that simple. There is no variable in any of this like quality of experience or cost of perception problem accumulation because the marketing / community management priorities already contain the required toolbox to make any of that a non-problem. Buy bias, bank on the quantifiable and demonstrable (metrics) willingness of customers to expend patience, and so forth.

From reddit thread about the same thing.

1 Like

You spoiled,spoiled kids…

I really wish you all could play ONE day in our shoes at the time we had no choice than to use dial in modems(28.8,56k) and have OUR problems using them…

Not only that you have to WAIT 2-3 minutes simply to get online.no your connection was awful slow and you had to wait minutes for ANYTHING to complete…even a simple webside…
Line stability was simply not existing and there was nothing to help you,you were on your own…:slight_smile:
So it could happen that the connection,beside you waited 2-3 min simply to come online,was dead after 1 minute…:slight_smile:

To clearify my post…

This thread is crap…whining about a couple of seconds lag…

1 Like

Because unlike other games, all processing is done serverside for these things, the client only receives the current “state” of everything, and when chat is fubar for multiple people in multiple global locations is pretty obvious because that either means server issue or major routing issue, in which case the effect is even greater as even more users are affected, been here long enough to tell the difference between an issue my end, an issue in between and a serverside issue

Ha!! showing my age, DT used to be an hour… minimum

Yeah it’s all CODE’s fault ahahahahha

Modem? What’s that?

I remember me sitting for 5 and more minutes loading games into ZX Spectrum compatible computer from cassette player! And it wasn’t 100% that you would have it loaded at all.

And there was russian computer which had similar loading system but without indication of loading. Imagine sitting for 5+ minutes staring at empty screen and hoping that it will load when it got an error and stopped minutes ago…

:feelingold:

I am not talking about ANY update days. I am talking about everyday .
have you recently try to buy something in jita ? I bought a single drone , been waiting for more than minute to get it delivered to my item hangar. yes you are shocked that I am not talking about the local chat right ?

Its all CCP fault anyway.

I remember couple years ago CCP was going to completely remove downtime. They were talking that downtime is only needed for outposts to change owners and stuff like that. We had 5 minutes downtime for quite some time years ago with promise to further reduce it and remove at some point.

Then everyone just forgot about it. Now our short downtime periods are result of recent CCP work. :laughing:

make downtime 30 min again , why not , just fix the lags and bugs :slight_smile: everyone will be happy

People would move to the next thing that bothers them. There is always good time to complain about something.

Maybe CCP just dont care about it anymore. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I agree with this one

CCP doesnt want to make us happy. They want our $!

Talking about $…

I’m still hoping there will be no PA induced loot boxes waiting around the corner…

Would be no surpise knowing PA’s history…