Your thoughts on new Alpha skills?

You can do a lot of things if you are tech-savvy. Automate ratting with bots for example. Should we remove all combat ships from Alphas because of this? No, because botting is illegal. So is multiboxing as Alpha.

1 Like

No, we shouldn’t remove it.

Repetitive and tedious+ trivial to script = asking for a bot infestation. That’s why the L4 grind had (and probably still has) bot problems, that’s why FW has bot problems, that’s why mining has bot problems, that’s why ratting has bot problems. Oh, and the whole “grinding is for chumps” attitude doesn’t help much either.

So, there are two good solutions: let everyone use the currently forbidden tools for free with one subscription ($15/month gets you as many alts as you want logged in concurrently and as much automation as you want for them), or make EVE’s mechanics a lot harder to script. Whack-a-mole is not a winning strategy if the moles just come back in a few days and act like nothing ever happened.

2 Likes

Bingo.

Such flags existed long before Alpha status was even an idea being thrown around by CCP. There is literally no reason skills are to be the only determining factor as to whether or not an Alpha has access to something. It’s also why I and many other are still wanting them to flag pirate ships as Omega only. It’s the the select few snowflakes that feel if they have the skills they should be allowed to use something and no backend mechanic exists or should exist to prevent that.

RHML are a BB level weapon, even if they only require HML, so it would be easy to conclude that these would be specifically flagged as Omega or else CCP has given them access to a T2 BB weapon system.

imo this is bad for eve and ccp in general. first this will allow alphas for the most part to just be used as main line dps for most null fights they can fly machs mals pests etc etc. I think this would also lead to a loss of subs as well. the only thing this may do is lead to a small bump in plex prices and such. with the changes there really isn’t much of a reason to be omega besides caps or t3s

2 Likes

Something else I considered while making dinner was the fact that if CCP continues with its policy of not being able to extract Alpha skills it will mean an instant 15mil SP reduction in the relative value of any account. Which at current jita prices is roughly 14bil+.

Not only will it kill some value for peoples characters but will also help buoy up SP values in the long run as that will be a LOT of total SP taken out of the available pool that could be extracted and sold.

Food for thought.

If this is them taking an indirect shot at SP farms… slightly amusing. But that still leaves a ton of room for skill trains involving subsystems and other stuff. But making it harder to get a skill goo farm off the ground in the first place in terms of time requirements might be something they’d do.

I remember ccp saying alphas would never get any thing more and always be restricted and talked about restricting omegas to 1 account a computer because “muh economy” now I will have 2 former standings alts back from when ccp did away for any need for standings will be isk farming.

you can fly a very powerful ships with 20m s/p, you dont really have to specailise, but i would only train up shield or amour tanking skills whilst your an alpha

I’m not being ungrateful I am simply curious what skills we will get other than what they announced.

So one thin that i did’t get is do you get to skill 5 million skill points of the 20 mill that will be allowed for alpha. Or will the new limit affect any kind of skills both omega and alpha?

Basically, alphas will have a set of skills available to them. They can train up to 5 million while remaining alpha. They can go omega, or eventually purchase some increased train rate/cap, at any time and train the remaining 20m SP. When they drop back down to alpha any omega skills will become locked just like they do now, but skills that are a part of the alpha set will remain available. However, once over the 5m sp mark, they will no longer be able to train at all unless they go omega or use that upgrade.

I hope that clears things up for you.

1 Like

Is this confirmed somewhere?

1 Like

Eve Vegas and some basic logic.

So I have played Eve for the better part of 14 years, taking small breaks as I got burnt out. Over the years I have tried alot, but due to RL commitments I am now hanging in HS doing mining, missions, and exploration. These changes give me conflicting feelings.

On one hand, it’s great because I could completely stop paying CCP and still have most of the same content. In fact it feels more like old school Eve. I can mine in a BS at about the same yield as a barge, run pirate BS through level 4 missions, and use my Gila for exploration and WH excursions.

On the other hand, if there are alot of current Omega with the same ideas, CCP could see major financial problems that could lead to the end of Eve. But I am sure they would nerf Alphas well before that…

Blockquote

This is argument is stupid, why would you just not skill farm for 1 month have full access to all your skills and then sell your SP at the end of the month. Any omega veteran who wants to have a active account will do this for any of the activities you have mentioned.

1 Like

The discussion isn’t about how easy it is to be an Omega, but rather thoughts on the new skills coming to Alphas.

The intent of my comment was that the new content that Alphas gain is significant enough that they may never want to go Omega, whether they previously were or not.

4 Likes

If CCP gets somebody to pay for 15 mill skillpoints either via Skill Injectors or Buy sub thats a win for CCP, 15 mill Skillpoints = 8-10 Month or of sub depending on implants or even more if its via skill injectors.

Even as a new player, I wanna say that the BSs are too much, should’ve allowed mining barges instead
I’m not sure about other factions ships, although being able to switch between the 4 main ones is great.

2 Likes

If you read anything I wrote, that is a purely short-term gain. Which is why I asked the question “what’s next?”

@Lugues_Slive nailed part of the problem on the head that I already pointed out. This gives so much to alphas they are likely to lose some omegas to it. Very few people enjoy grinding, so for those who actually felt pressure to grind to plex may find this a very welcome alternative. As such when some people inevitable do drop to alpha once they have their desired SP what will CCP do to regain lost income? The answer will always either be to give them more by increasing the cap or by increasing the range of micro transactions available or both.

Mark my words, we will see a piecemealing of Omega to micro transactions. Ranging from unlocking multiple logins, T2 modules/cloaks, T2 ships maybe by classification maybe in their entirety, and possibly everything up to and including capitals. There are actually quite a lot of options open to them depending on how specific they want to be with this.

2 Likes

What are you talking about, the scenario is a current FTP player either stop playing or picking one of 3 new choices, Omega where you have to pay to CCP, Alpha skill injection where you have to pay to CCP, New training state where you have to pay to CCP. The only scenario where you don’t have to pay is when you choose to stay at 5 mill SP and that’s basically the same as today.

Again what are you talking about, 20 mills skill points is nothing if you consider that most of the skills will be beneficial to a specific race. At least 10 mill will go into spaceship command.

Here you are trying to compare two scenarios that do not correlate. The choices as a vet are reverting to aplha and playing with 20mill skillpoints and 0 SKILL POINT gain a month or Staying in Omega and selling your SP at the end of the month for no loss and 0 SKILL POINT gain a month. None of this scenarios are the same as grinding for a plex so that you can skill and keep 2 mill skill points.

So like i said before they pay to get to 20 mill skill points or they don’t pay anything.
Its like drugs:
CCP: here dude have some free 5 mill drugs.
Player: Oh that’s nice.
CCP: Have another 15 mill free drugs.
Player: Oh that’s fantastic
CCP: Sure mate have some but its not really free its more like i’m mouth is saying its free but its really not.

1 Like