2 EVE Servers

Part of EVE is the desire to get new blood in; but EVE is such a meat-mincer if you take a hit that many won’t like that. They’ll get popped, lose 100m isk, and not have the ISK to replace it. Then they’ll see PLEX and… Walk away saying ‘pay to win’. It’s the nature of the WoW generation that they expect a game to be easy.

Let’s face it, a lot of kids today use the excuse ‘pay to win’ to try to play for free too. And playing for free will put a firm out of business.

So…

In SWOTR you can’t just gank someone. You have to ask their permission first.

For most EVE pilots this is laughable, but… Some want it. They hate PvP, & want the option to switch it off ( opt out ).

For many of us this is laughable, but revenues are revenues; so…

2 servers. 1 runs EVE as we know it. The second runs the same EVE universe, but with slightly different settings.

As in server 2 has:

• Auto-decline Duel toggle.
  • Much higher Concord spawn rate ( making PvP in High Sec damn near impossible unless a duel is accepted ). High Sec becomes insanely-high sec.

Et voila, difficulty levels. So you choose where you want to start your toon. Hard or easy.

If you want to jump server then, well, that is where it gets REALLY scifi. Dimension jumps.

When it comes to dimension theory there is science claiming that we live next door to other dimensions that are damn near identical, but slightly different. And because EVE is about high end science you could say that it is now possible to jump dimension.

When jumping dimension you take your skills and implants and… A special device. That device allows you to take 1B ISK with you ( but no more ), and some PLEX ( maybe 1000 limit ).

So this is a pod ( and only a pod, no storage ), that jumps from dimension to dimension, between hard & easy, and can only take 1B ISK & a few PLEX with it.

Everyone then gets 1 free jump.

And the whining players who want to fly a farming simulator all jump to ‘easy’.

Oh, and any extra jumps you want are paid for using PLEX. So the PLEX market on each server ( in each dimension ) will still tick over.

Server 1 is EVE-of-now. Server 2 is EVE with stupidly-high security ( so it’s much less ganky ). And players can move between the 2.

The important bit is that all the sytems & stations remain in the same place. Niarja is still Niarja, and Jita is still where Jita should be; but it’s all a bit fluffier & easier than on the ‘easy’ server.

Multiple dimensions, like in Star Trek with how they jump to the ‘alternate nastier’ dimension on occasion. But EVE is already in the ‘rough patch’, so this is about making it possible for players to jump to safer patches to play in.

And then CCP does not lose the revenue from the Farming Simulator toons. And they quit bitching on comms too :smiley:

Also… Broadcast For Reps stuff.

I have Mental Health problems. If my stuff is flaring ( relapses happen etc ) then being able to move a toon to an easier ‘system’ would help me whilst I wait for myself to stabilise. I can still play, but at a lower stress level ( stress triggers mental health relapses ).

So if life is getting a bit rough I just jump to the easy server for a bit.

Then come back afterwards.

As for the 1B isk limit it’s so that a messy wormhole eviction, costing the player everything, doesn’t wipe them out. They can buy the amount of PLEX needed, jump to easy, and be away from everything that popped them whilst they rebuild. And once they have 1B isk up their sleeve from some really easy sites or PvE content they can then come back.

It would also mean two markets. So the saturation in EVE-of-now for Industry could be beaten; as the ‘farmers’ jump to EVE-lite ( server 2, the easier one to play on ), and get into Industry there.

I don’t like the idea of switching off main EVE, as people have spent ages building this; but the WoW generation are real, and need a patch they can do their thing in without ruining the game for us PvP’ers. I think being able to jump dimension between ‘hard’ & ‘easy’ would fix a lot.

2p deposited.

This is related to teh debate on EVE 2 here: EVE 2: The petition

Splitting up the tiny and dwindling playerbase for a sandbox MMO that basically lives and dies by its community interactions sounds like a great way to kill it.

6 Likes

I disagree. EVE needs more space, so that people can build their doo-dahs & say ‘hello neighbour’ without having to use a couple of 1600mm plates to hide behind.

My god…complete lack of foresight.

First off, this will never, ever happen. But let’s humor the “idea”. Players should absolutely not be able to move between the two. Or at the very least, only their character and absolutely none of their accrued stats/assets should be able to transfer between servers.

Second, this would almost immediately result in the stagnation of both servers. Farmers would see the value of their farming reduced incredibly fast as the proliferation of safely-acquired assets and lack of asset destruction decreases demand. The “hardcore” server would have less targets and less production. The war machines would grind more slowly as mineral prices rise due to the reduction in the number of “resource gatherers”.

Third, we already have an auto-decline toggle for duels.

But you know…you’re probably right in the end. CCP will have to pervert their artistic vision and sell EVE’s soul to make money since they can’t seem to launch a successful product outside of EVE. We’re already seeing the beginnings of that transition.

2 Likes

If you are gonna mention 2 servers… I would like to see a EvE vanilla. As in eve back in the 2004-2005. No supers, no carriers, lots of bug and epic fights. Even in high-sec, and you could even hide behind gates to avoid missiles. The game was bugged but it was fun.

I don’t believe anyone wants super safe high-sec. Its meant to be a risk based game even in safe space.

The “easy” server would be populated solely by miners and mission runners. Nothing would ever get blown up, hence never need to be replaced, the economy (and the game) would stagnate in short order…

Physics won’t ever allow dimensional jumps from one universe to another. How ever I’ll follow along.

I’m going to jump to the carebear server and create the largest particle accelerator. One on a galactic scale. I’m gonna fire it up and jump back just before the particles impact. It will create a cascade event spawning a singularity so huge the black hole that is birthed from it will suck up the whole universe and all the carebears that inhabit it.

Solves your problems and those who still dwell in the original universe.
Sounds fun doesn’t it?

Serious though. I indulged for one minute until you started talking about moving assets between the two. This server has enough problems with assets and how they are acquired and accrue.

/not signed

1 Like

EVE has problems. This would exacerbate them.

Regarding the b4r situation, yeah, it’s important, but if attempting to address it bankrupts the company, then it’s not the company’s responsibility, except maybe to add trigger warnings to the login screen. Beyond that, it would need to be the individual’s responsibility to find something else to do.

Maybe give SISI a try? There’s ALWAYS something else to do. Other video games, arts and crafts, exercise, indulge vices. If EVE stops being fun, no one’s under any obligation to keep playing, or to keep playing the same way.

1 Like

even when i am all for making eve more friendly to usual causual wow-mind players, splitting server and its playerbase in two is horrible idea

It is a problem and there should be serious steps to solve it.
No middleways (as splitting onto 2 servers).

The problem with chaotic high-secs must be solved.
But there is also a problem of small community which can be damaged by splitting.

So there just need make special twiks on current mechanics: boost CONCORD, rise consequences for attacking players (huge ss drop, restricting access to 0,8-1,0 systems). That may be enough and would fix current situation.

I’m support idea of creating normal gameplay but i can’t support server splitting.

Eve already has a place you can play all day in perfect safety - it’s called Singularity - non consensual PVP is banned. You can mine, run missions, build Citadels for 100 ISK, whatever you want. You even get early access to all the new features!

You will also die of boredom unless you are participating in a mass test or have some corp mates with you to test fits or practice maneuvers.

Sandboxes don’t have levels - raw recruits and grizzled veterans play together - by design. The learning curve is steep but flying around highsec is safer than going for a walk in most large cities once you understand the basics. If someone shoots you - convo them and ask what you did wrong. Odds are, they’ll teach you and replace your ship.

3 Likes

No, I think we’re back to “if you don’t find it fun, do something else” territory. If you’re getting yourself killed just walking around highsec, maybe you should try being better at the game? A game can’t be designed around its worst player. A game where you can’t lose is called a puzzle. Maybe you should take up puzzles instead?

1 Like

The “problem” with getting new blood for New Eden is this:

A nooby joins EVE and wants to get what is advertised:

• join Titan online today and make zee 50000000000 member fight

The newbie then opens the market and sees the following:

• Hmm… skillbooks… hmm titan… 450days… and 5 billion??? lolwutomgwft or
  • The newbie enters EVE and buys his first cruiser for only 60 million isk he doesn’t have anymore and gets blown up
  • Newbie realizes, EVE too expensive - thanks to you!

Did you know, back in the day the world provided and it was good. You needed less time to do some pve to buy or replace a boat you want or may have lost.

The came the Ferengi alliance and created Feregi Nar’. Zee end.

Is not your idea what occurs in Elite Dangerous…

and that game is really not that much fun…

NO

Oh this old chestnut :slight_smile: Haven’t seen one of these in many a month.

No.

/thread

maybe you want to travel to Null zone

we have tons of space here. You just need to learn how to deal with diplomacy rather than depend on firepower to obtain land

Opening Posts like these are the reason we need a :-1: button too not just the politically correct :heart: button. :stuck_out_tongue:

(At least for thread starter posts.)

1 Like

That would end up with only one server: the carebear server.

Miners/ratters would move to that server. Most PvPers in EVE are looking for kills, not fights, so they would get frustrated at a sudden lack of easy targets, and would end up moving to other games.

OP, door is in this direction ----->

1 Like