It has been a week of absolutely unusable service; where are the updates? We are paying customers and this is unacceptable.
You need to start communicating with your customer base and do so often - i.e. not once every two days. I expect you to answer the following:
Are you actively working on it? Because right, now I can only guess. So I guess no…
Do you know where is the problem. Is the problem external? Let us know! Otherwise I will blame you.
What is the time estimate for a fix. I have a schedule too you know, and right now I can’t plan anything.
Compensation and refunds. If anything I do, had problems as often and as bad as EVE, I would be fired and forced to pay massive breach of contract fines.
What are your plans to ensure this does not happen again in the future. Are you going to change the infrastructure, maybe a different provider… we want to know and be assured that this will not repeat. Because local, a key part of EVE, which is intertwined with all kinds of mechanics all over, had been problematic for years and you have been ignoring it.
The temp local fixes nothing - if it loads at all, it is lagging often up to a minute and still differs between clients/accounts.
Edit: I flew around the constellation, and have tested out a few things. So far it is the best experience I have had since the outage. Fingers crossed.
@CCP_Paragon in the interest of repairing some goodwill that has been lost this week, can I suggest a dev blog in the coming days that details the cause of the outage, the fix (assuming the change at DT holds), and some lessons learnt that will “hopefully” mean this will not occur again.
I’m not confused at all!! (added two exclamation marks just in case one wasn’t enough for you )
PA acquired CCP Games because they felt the IP and talent were a worthy acquisition. But when you look at CCP’s projects, the only major project with any real longevity has been Eve Online. It’s not a good look when they have the week they’ve just had,
Ultimately this matters because PA’s feelings about CCP’s worth are likely to decline if their one cash cow implodes.
look at anarchy online. You want a “broken game” that still charges sub fees. EVE is miles ahead in stability. Stop whining. go grab a coffee. Smoke a joint. CHILLLLLLL
Thanks for the update, but this is a P2/S2 severity incident on your side, because it causes service disruption to your customers (not fully, but a part of the service). I work in IT operations, and If i had this kind of incident for my customer for 4 days with limited updates, I would probably get fired and my company would pay compensations for that.
I’d love to see a report about what happened with the chat system. EVE Online uses ejabberd as a chat backend. Years ago I had my own federated ejabberd server. It was fun, and never caused me any problems, but it wasn’t used by thousands of people.
The ejabberd software is written in the Erlang programming language, which is pretty good for this sort of application: high concurrency with lots of threads running.
Was there a problem with ejabberd or the Erlang runtime at the scale that is used by EVE Online? Was there a vulnerability in ejabberd exploited by malicious players or other entity online?
If you are confident that you solved the chat issue, I hope you find some time to write a dev blog detailing the work done, to satiate the curiosity of sofware geeks like me.
~3.1 thousand daily players according to MMO Stats
~3.5 thousand daily players MMO population
~1 according to Steam DB (Somehow I doubt that number)
Either way, a game with ~3,000 players is probably not the best example of a “broken game that still charges sub fees”. If Eve only had 3,000 daily players the game would be completely dead. Plus some how I doubt (3,000 * 20 = 60,000) would be enough to keep on the lights.
Its proof that its not broken and can be billed to play if you can log in. Thats the ONLY requirement of a mmo, is the ability to log in. People like you…you’ll pay to cry. thats how you want to play your game, thats fine.
I find This way of communication not very reliable, after a few mins at most the signal stops and you loose connection with the pilot.
Then you might lucky reconnect to the back channels to his pod, But after send a signal you don’t receive anything back only to loose connection again and see a floating corpse in space.
Of course not all is lost as you pick up the corpse and bring it back to your station to reprocess for that dank Blue Pill.
Good news on the chat. Now, can anyone explain to me why it feels like I’m shadow boxing with the blinking Launch button on the launcher? It keeps turning itself gray just as I try to click it then blue then gray then blue. @CCP are yall messing with me?