A Bunch Of Noob Questions

Blinking blue / turquoise indicates a pilot having a limited engagement with you. Did you shoot at a yellow flashy in highsec? It means both pilots can engage freely in combat without outside intervention. It lasts 5min if not prolonged by fighting.

There is no general answer here as I think this entirely depends on your personal overview settings.

For example if you would want friends to show up as flashing yellow, enemies as blue and your corporation members as red you can. It’s going to be confusing as other players have other settings, and will refer to enemies as ‘red’ and so on, but you have the freedom to pick your own colours and colour priority for overview objects.

So look into your overview settings and take a look at what flashing blue is supposed to be for your overview. (And adjust it if you want).

Another question…regarding alpha shots.

I’m not clear how it is possible to take out a ship with one shot. A tornado, for example, can be got to 700DPS. Fine, but then even a basic Venture has an EHP of 1400…so should it not take two shots to wipe out a basic Venture ? Most ships have much higher EHP. Even my Condors have around 4000 EHP…so should they not take 5 shots or more to kill ? I don’t quite understand how anyone’s being taken out with one shot.

Let’s take a gank tornado fit I have saved in Pyfa as example:

• 577 dps
  • 17s cycle time
  • 9819 damage per volley

Yes, the dps is less than that of the EHP of the Venture, so you would think that it took multiple seconds to kill the Venture. But what you’re missing is that the Tornado does all that damage instantly, up front. And then takes 17 seconds of doing nothing, after which it can fire another volley.

Alpha damage is mostly used as strength of ships with a very long cycle time, in which case the dps isn’t really relevant. The relevant stat for these ‘high alpha’ ships is their volley damage, which in this case can one-shot most T1 haulers if they aren’t fit well.
(And 17 seconds later he could fire again, but the ship probably got killed by CONCORD already by then.)

Does that make sense?

1 Like

Ah…so the DPS is divided out over the cycle time, which means the first shot has the full 9819 damage.

That would also explain why my Tech 2 Condors are destroying NPCs often with a single missile.

Yep, dps is just volley damage divided by cycle time.

DPS = Damage Per Second vs Alpha Strike = Damage per volley :wink:

(Though Alpha is specifically the first volley as in general volley damage might include reload time.)

Are you telling me I should take a Talwar into Pochvenhell after Rogue Drones to fix a -2.7 to Trig standing vs. a Corax? Hmmmm…

Yep. And seeing multiple 'nados tells you to get out of Dodge.

i can put you in touch with someone to help guide you to fix your trig standings.

Re: Bad Trig Standing
Sent: 2022.02.03 19:27
To: {{My Toon}},

Hey,

My service is only really to get neutrals to 0.05 so they are friendly to Edencom and Trigs. From -2.7 up to positive is probably several weeks of work minimum, which I don’t really do.

Just go in a vigil and target paint drifters and hope something else kills them

-Imiarr-

ah… i knew they were hardest to grind standings for, but i figured he’d have had some advice for you

It’s good advice. As with so many other things in Eve, it’s a matter of patience. And another example of doing something you think is a good idea and finding out later you’ve really screwed yourself. That toon got trained up to fly T2 haulers, the Bowhead, and a T1 Freighter. But that’s a pain when there are Trig monster guns out there.

Yes…dunno how I’ve managed to miss the bit in ship fittings that actually says ‘volley damage’. Like most things in Eve, its obvious after someone tells you :slight_smile:

It’s all good. As long as you ask politely and willing to listen to the answer nobody will have a problem with your question and answering it if they know the answer and if some random nobody gets salty over such polite question then just ignore them. :slight_smile:

You can realistically get a Tornado to do 11,000 as an alpha strike, so splitting the guns would get 5,500 which would take out two Catalyst. Time to react and lock is part of the equation.

Analysing -10 gankers and noting who they tend to activate last and target them is the most effective approach, but your solo character can take out two gankers and have an impact on the DPS.

When they don’t have so many in their blob then it can have an impact, but we are dealing with N+1 with people who have so much ISK that they normally do massive overkill.

We were looking at the options for fast firing guns that have the ability to take out a destroyer each shot. The options are in fact limited and very costly becoming a gank target in themselves. As we are unable to rep them once they have a limited engagement it is not worth doing.

I’ve been looking at getting max possible DPS out of the cheapest possible ships. Even a free Velator can be got to 101 DPS quite cheaply with autocannons. I also have a 72 DPS railgun Velator ( ship itself was free )…for a mere 200K ISK. That’s similar DPS to a Tech 2 Condor, for 1/20th of the cost…and the range is not bad.

That is why I say the real AG issue is number of people doing it. Twenty people with those 200K ISK Velators could do 1400 DPS of damage, field 40 drones to confuse and get in the way…and total cost for everyone would be an amazingly low 4m ISK !

The way to beat gankers is to be even more cheapskate than they are…rather than bringing in 200m ISK Tornados. Well, that’s my view.

In which case all you will be doing is adding their ship loss to Zkill and having fun with the act of shooting them. No more than that.

The issue of numbers is real, you just won’t get 20 people.

If you want to do this then a split gun Tornado is your best option.

The fact that you can’t figure this out is sad ROFL.

Although I tend to think you’re a quafe waffle, you finally starting to understand some things.

Well I mean if you’re a quafe waffle like you, you won’t get 20 people :smiley:

The real issue is corp building and group building. If you actually had a charismatic organized AG person, you could field response fleets.

Instead we got Drac and co, who inspire nothing.

This is why Aiko is winning and will continue to win.

If AG could cut the fat off, organize and uprise then it’d be different.

What’s up with this downright pathological aversion to spending money? Weird.