The last time I was ganked due to ignorance rather than taking a calculated risk, or otherwise accepting what was going on was 12 to 15 years ago. I don’t know the date exactly, but in terms of EVE history:
- EVE was already a mature game
- BoB were active, and were the “EVE elite” of the day
- Goons were active and very visible (led by “The Mittani”), and held some Sov (Delve maybe) but there wasn’t really a hot war between them and BoB
- Something had happened (with Goons involved) that gave EVE a burst of visibility in the gaming press, possibly for the first time, and I was one of rather a lot of rookies in EVE at the time.
If you’d asked I would have explained the specific context of my suggestion (it’s connected to an interesting communication problem between different kinds of PvPers).