A Modest Proposal

Solstice

It’s good to get confirmation that the majority of gankers are actually just farmers.

But what can be do with the term “carebear”? It’s clear it can be reasonably applied as a collective term to gankers, but EVE’s private vocabulary is so weird and confusing already.

So many important words and phrases mean one thing to the vast majority of gamers, and a completely different thing in EVE cryptospeech: PvP, gank, grief, agree and accept (at least when they follow “undock” /kek), risk, etc.

Perhaps it time for some new EVE-unique terms to distinguish between different kinds of PvP: inter-player combat for fun; inter-player combat for profit; inter-player combat intended solely to make another player angry or upset; etc, etc.

I’ve seen examples of all of these from “outsiders” trying to clarify the terminology , but in the forums they tend to get transposed into slippery EVE crypto-speech (I’ll never get used to the fact that EVE traders think “competition” and “PvP” have similar meanings:)

Any new terminology needs to come from well established EVE players who recognize themselves in one or more of those roles.

edit: …

Elena

We can’t, actually, but you probably don’t really care about words and their meanings anyway. You’re also hilariously failing at what you’re trying to do.

See you in the next thread. :blush:

Xuxe Xu

You seriously linked a post titled "Level 1 Missions actually worth it?" to support your assertion that I am

I am accurately presenting myself as a “serial beginner”. This obviously isn’t “presenting myself as an expert”.

On the other hand, I’ve spent a relatively large proportion of my EVE playing time doing L1 and L2 missions. If I include the SoE Epic Arc, (Id estimate 15-20 % or so). I think it’s excellent experience for answering that particular question.

That’s really ALL you ever experienced of the game?

edit: …

1 Like

Why?

Gankers don’t have time to scan such targets so they do it on the chance they get something good. It doesn’t mean ganking is too powerful, just that going around in a shuttle or pod is risky, which is a good thing.

The worst lines of thinking, as to game changes, fall loosely under these two headings:

  1. A certain form of game play should be nerfed into oblivion, not for any good reason, but only because I dont play the game that way and i don’t want others to play that way either.

  2. The way i make ISK is important, the way others make ISK is subject to indiscriminate nerfing at my request.

The entire highsec PvP community applauds your point… or would if they hadn’t quit due to all forms of fighting in highsec being nerfed into oblivion.

The only bit I take issue with is that about making isk. Personally, I think the players who are most important to retain are the ones who don’t give a toss about making isk.

Those are the ones who do interesting things and fan the flames of our collective imagination.

I don’t understand your question.

I provided an estimate (15-20%) of some activities, which isn’t “ALL”. Anything else I want to say has already been said in this and/or other threads.

Elena

You basically have no idea, then. I mean, okay, sure, that was obvious a long time ago already. You don’t understand much of things, you redefine words as you see fit and you are incapable of seeing that drawing conclusions, when the beginning is wrong already, isn’t something one should do.

Okay.

We’re done here, and you are too.

Ghost and JUSTIFIED ARROGANCE

Posts like those two are difficult for someone like me to interpret. I understand the words, but not whether it’s parody or serious.

I have a question which would help me in this matter:

IF it was possible for CCP identify to set a flag on ships belong to a set of players who CCP would prefer were not ganked in highSec (e.g. first-time players for whom a T1/T1 frigate is a significant (in “time to replace”) expense …

… would you favor those ships being immune to attack in highSec except from other ships for which the same applies?

NOTE: I know this isn’t practical. I’m not even sure it’s theoretically possible …

… but all you need to do is answer “yes” or “no” and I’ll be able to interpret your posts.
I won’t comment on them BTW- this is just a “forum hobby” thing with me.

Solstice

Your posts are getting harder and harder to interpret. And, like this one, generally not for the reason that led me to ask Ghost O’Mo and JUSTIFIED ARROGANCE for clarification.

If you want to be as rude as is allowed by forum rules, please go ahead. I don’t mind (and you may quote that to the moderators if they intervene) . And I won’t respond to an honest, direct “ad hominem” unless there’s also actual content.

Otherwise, I’d be happy if execute your side of “we’re done here”. OTOH I will be guided by forum rules, not your personal preferences.

NO

(Apparantly you must give 5 letter minimum answer size, so i added these words in parenthesis)

No. I think we alll need the same rules.

Butiwould tolerate such a thing in the name of getting back some interaction mechanics.

Ghost and JA

Thanks for responding.

I’m interested because I believe that for the majority of EVE’s lifetime, hardly any new players were unaware it’s a PvP game with permanent loss of resources via PvP.

But there’s another thing the majority of people, including MMO gamers, share: the don’t like spending time doing things that aren’t fun or rewarding (almost MMO gamers will grind for “ISK” up to a point). This interacts with “permanent loss of resources” in obvious ways.

It adds up to my wishing established EVE players would work just a little to understand the perspective of beginners in general. FWIW, judging by the forums, the “failure to communicate” is less severe than my last “visit” approx 3 years ago, but (for me) not by enough.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.