A noob space wonderer

If you are talking about one single solar system, then yes … but it will take forever with sub light speed like in the real world :wink:

Going from system to system in the star cluster with a ship is only possible via the various means of jumping (gates, cynos, filaments, wormholes).

2 Likes

There is so much to EVE Online.
I don’t know if i can name other games in here but i will risk it, and if i can’t i will learn my lesson, i was hesitant between EVE and Star Citizen, i know that these 2 are different in more ways than one, personally so far i’m happy with EVE although i don’t have many hours in it, and i don’t have to wait for a game that has been in development since 2011. :slight_smile:

BTW, although the interface suggests otherwise, you can manually pilot your ship in space to some degree, which is actually essential in PvP. Simplest way, double click somewhere in space and the ship will accelerate and fly in that direction. Using camera movement and double clicks let you create a unique flight path instead of simple “approach” and “orbit”.

If you want to get a unique expierience while traveling (not fighting), there is also a first person camera mode.

BTW2, the autopilot is rarely useful (on purpose :wink: ), because it doesn’t travel you gate-to-gate but spits you out 10km off and slowboats you the rest. The perfect killbox for adversaries.

I wanted to ask you guys something maybe someone here can help me. I will post a screenshot to try and explain my issue, so i have the channel window or pop up that gives me access to all the channels but, again i must have messed up something, now i have 1 shortcut for chat and one that goes directly to a specific channel, how can i eliminate those 2?

Buy a new one from scratch. Once a ship explodes, it’s gone.

Like Tipa said, right click the ship when docked to get that option.

Insurance doesn’t pay you enough to buy a new ship, but it’s some free ISK in case it blows up, which is nice.

I would guess they used regular means of travelling in EVE, which is to use their warp drive within a system and to use jump gates and wormholes to travel from one system to another.

While it is technically possible to travel within a system without using your warp drive, it is not recommended.

Let me give you some numbers to show you why not.

Let’s say a certain solar system has a gate at 10 AU away from your current location. (This isn’t that far, some systems are over a 100 AU across.)

1 AU, or astronomical unit, is equal to 149 597 871 km. That jump gate 10 AU away is therefore 1.5 billion km away from you.

If you pick a reasonably fast frigate it has a sub-warp speed of 5km/s with it’s propulsion module (microwarp drive, as it is a bit faster than afterburners) online and active. It would take you 1500000000/5 = 300 million seconds, or about 9 years to get there.

People prefer to use their warp drive, which takes a few dozen seconds.

Likewise, travelling from one solar system to another isn’t practical either. Instead of counting distances in AU, distances between solar systems is counted in LY, or light years. These are over 9 trillion km.

I have heard of people using some speed tricks in the old EVE days to increase their speed enough that they could burn over to the location of another solar system, but I think they never really entered that other solar system from a technical point of view, so that’s both impractical and impossible.

Jump gates and wormholes are a lot easier to get to other solar systems!
And you could also try other tricks of moving to other solar systems, like jump drives (which capital ships have) and filaments.

I think you might have dragged one chat window apart from the other, making it a separate window that can be minimised separately of the other.

You could put multiple chat windows as tabs within one UI window, or keep them all, or a few, separate.

Personally I like having local chat separate from all my other chat windows, as it allows me to easily check the list of names of players that are in the same solar system as I am. They might be a threat to me after all!

I just wanted to get rid of the one called channels and the one that shows as Local [37] but i have no idea how to do that.

Your UI looks a bit different than I’m used to (they’re currently in the process of adding to and improving the new Photon UI), but I think those two channels have been minimised?

Maybe you can click them to maximize them and them close instead of minimise the channels?

As I said before, I usually keep my local chat open in a separate chat window, you might not want to play with that channel closed.

Cheers for that, i tried it but when i click close it minimizes them to the hotbar again.

I was also wondering, Currently on my skill screen i’m on IndustryIV but i wish to change from that to alpha miner, how can i do that?

You can drag any skills you want on your skill queue. Drag them to the top, drag them down, drag them out, drag new ones in.

To help new players, you can now select ‘skill plans’ ingame, like the Industry or ‘Alpha miner’ skill plans, which can add all the relevant skills to your skill queue.

You can still modify that skill plan after you have imported it, throw out skills you don’t want to train, or put other skills to the top of the training queue.

If you want to train the skills from the Alpha miner skill plan instead of what you’re currently training, you could empty your current skillqueue like this:

afbeelding

and import the other skill plan to train those skills. Do make sure you put some new skills in after you’ve cleared the skill queue, you wouldn’t want to be training nothing! :wink:

I just checked ingame, and it seems some chat channels cannot be closed at all. I guess because they’re default channels that all players are expected to be in, perhaps?

Corporation, alliance, local chat, I cannot close any of those, but I can close other, player-made channels.

And I guess for newer players the rookie help chat also is one of the default channels that cannot be closed. At least not for your first 30 days in the game.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.