A Solution to the Generational Slavery Question

The solution to slavery would be a radical shake up of the Amarr belief system. The solution would be for them to realise that they are not the only belief system that exists, they are not the superior belief system and that they have no right to enforce that belief system on others. Once that occurs then they will realise the inherent lack of morality in holding entire peoples hostage to their beliefs.

3 Likes

Of which of the many gods you’re talking about?

3 Likes

You can’t argue with Diana because her logic is infinitely adaptable. By her current stance the Gallente had every right to nuke Caldari out of existence while they were still figuring out the most rudimentary forms space travel, because, you know, it is the internal policy of the strong to subjugate the weak. Next week she’ll spout something else. Better to just not even try. Just fart in her face, she doesn’t seem to like that.

3 Likes

Metaphorically or physically?
I feel the latter would result in one of those ridiculous sword duels she likes to indulge in

2 Likes

Just doing it over these forums seems to irritate her to ridiculous degrees. Altough, it wasn’t me who was farting in that video, just some random Gallentean, I think.

And I have not received any sword duel requests yet.

2 Likes

You probably have to beat her in a space duel and not be a “filthy savage” for one of those. I’m not certain of the entrance requirements.

2 Likes

Remind me, when did the Empire become a member state of the Gallente Federation, that doing something popular mattered more than doing what is Right ?

4 Likes

I made no comment on the worth of it.

The fact is that Holders are the government. Their authority is near-absolute in their territories. If they do not approve of a mandate, they will sabotage the enforcement of that mandate. Directives unpopular with the people tasked with carrying it out are not easily carried out. Will you then force them, as with the Refusards? Risk a rebellion, as with Khanid, and Heideran V? If it is truly Right, then certainly such a thing may be necessary.

But is it Right? Afterall, such a suggestion stands against Scripture. It steps on the rights of Holders and the institution of slavery as defined by Scripture. It would enter a conservative Theology Council known for ruling in favor of Holders’ rights in matters of slavery (TCMCs, the Rinmumi-Agmarn conflict during the 5th Alliance Tournament, refusing to even debate the matter of the indiscriminate sale of slaves on the SCC markets), ensuring its likely demise as a matter of religious merit.

There is no easy solution. That is the point. If you do not weigh the negatives against the positives then you will never actually find the Right solution. Is this one it? That is not for me to say. But I can point out the areas where it will likely find difficulty.

6 Likes

I would like to know Synthia I’s opinions regarding the use of transcranial microcontrollers and vitoxin.

2 Likes

Except I never said that enslaved Matari are not Matari, so your whole reply and question with accusation doesn’t even reach the bottom of intelligence of average speaker. Is it standard for goon “reasoning”, to try to prove someone was wrong, when they didn’t ever said what you blamed them in?

You know what, I think the whole forum should at this point be tired of your trolling. Could you go tell some folks in nullsec how goons are strong, powerful, scaredy, match even great four Empires, and all other fairytales like that. But not here.

The point,which you’d understand if you ever bothered to actually read what others wrote, is that as you feel you have a right to Caldari prime, so too do the Matari feel a right to the freedom of their enslaved brethren.

3 Likes

If sin and crime are synonyms, how a crime can pass from parents to children, who didn’t commit the crime?
And what about children, that were procreated before the crime has been committed?

Freedom is an inhuman and criminal concept of unlimited permissions disregarding laws, rules and norms.
Right is a demand that people like gallente love to claim, when they have no real and valid reasons for that claim.

In other words, Matari feel to put an unreasonable demand for criminal allowance for their enslaved brethren. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Not surprised. Not at all.

Well, let them come, we’ll meet them with batteries of guns.

Because in Amarrian culture, the essence of evil is believed to be inheritable. It might be that it is literally passed spiritually through the blood, or simply that a criminal parent would be incapable of teaching their children the right path as they do not know it themselves.

And some crimes are considered so severe that it takes more than one lifetime to work off the debt. In northern empires this would be the equivalent of giving someone multiple life sentences. In those societies, when the criminal dies the additional life sentences are essentially pardoned. In Amarr, the child would inherit the remaining life sentences, and the child’s child, until every sentence has been worked off.

When I was a slave, I was working off the crimes of people who died thousands of years ago. Crimes believed to be inherent in my blood. Their crime, my punishment. The same is true of most slaves. There are some who have actually committed a crime themselves and were sentenced (most slaves of Amarr Islander or Khanid ancestry are these sort), but most slaves are simply born into it.

Usually they are left alone, but if the crime is grave enough then an entire family can be exiled or enslaved. It is both an additional punishment to the criminal, as they have to live with the knowledge that they condemned their own family with their actions, as well as a safeguard against the possibility that the same bad habits exist in everyone born from the criminal’s lineage.

In short: In Amarr, you pay for the sins of your father. Or you reap the benefits of his successes, in the case of those descended from the Chosen, or those who have been successfully Reclaimed (I was freed because of the work done by my parents and other ancestors, not for anything I personally did). In the Caldari State, you might be defined by your own merits or failings, but in Amarr we are defined by the merits or failings of those who came before us.

3 Likes

So-- taking theological explanations out of it (something the Amarr themselves basically never do), structurally the reason as far as I can tell is that the Amarr trust, or mistrust, family units, rather than individuals. The idea as far as I can tell is that a family unit is a sort of device for the production and rearing of hopefully-virtuous subjects. The family is judged, gradually, over time, on the merit of its members.

If you imagine a sort of Caldari-style meritocracy in which families are pro- or de-moted based on their members’ collective doings over time rather than (with rare exceptions) any single person’s doings resulting in rapid promotion, you might have something a little like Amarrian feudalism.

Advancement can be pretty slow, but, also, individuals can cause a family’s fall way faster than its rise. This is one reason why, despite their own legal immunity from almost everything, Amarrian loyalist capsuleers often try to tread carefully around Amarrian civil authorities. Mr. Sinjin Mokk, formerly a hundred or so down the line of the succession in the Khanid royal line, I believe found this out the hard way when he rejoined the Angel Cartel (the first time was maybe under orders-- an infiltration or something? Not clear on the details). I’m not sure how many members of his household made it out of the Kingdom safely; I gather those who remained have been enslaved.

He’s understandably a little upset about it.

4 Likes

No, you said the matter of enslaved Matari within the Empire was a matter of Amarr internal policy that we should keep our nose out of. Those people are ours. They belong with us. You say you had just cause retaking Caldari Prime because it was your world. We feel we have just cause retaking our people because they are our people.

If you cannot acknowledge the parallels, then the truth of your argument becomes ‘it was ok that we took Caldari Prime because we could’, which is an inherently savage position. For the sake of clarity, that would be ‘savage’ in the ‘bestial and uncivilized’ sense. Is that your position, Diana? ‘It was ok for us to retake Caldari Prime because we’re a bunch of violent, bloody-minded animals’? I don’t think it is. I think you believe that Heth and the Caldari State moved on Caldari Prime because it was the right thing to do, because the occupation of Caldari Prime was an open wound the Federation was continuing to inflict upon the Caldari People, and because retaking the homeworld was necessary and proper and Just.

Our people did not choose to be there, they were kidnapped—a crime. And as you’ve heard directly from Lt. Kernher, the Amarr consider crime—and sin—to pass from generation to generation. Which means the beliefs of the Amarr themselves hold that the current generation is accountable for the offenses of their ancestors, and should receive justice. Their entire rationale for continuing to hold slaves all but demands bloody retribution by their own standards.

Liberating our people is the right thing to do. The continued enslavement of our Matari kin is an open wound the Amarr continue to inflict upon the Matari people. Ending that enslavement by whatever means is necessary, and proper, and it is Justice. No less Justice than the Amarr themselves proclaim they deserve.

7 Likes

That’s one of the more logical setting out of Minmatar feeling and policy on this subject that I’ve ever heard - and it was so without being an iota less passionate for it.

I agree with everything EXCEPT the situation demanding bloody retribution. What it demands is a peaceful resolution that will return sovereignty to both sides in their own territory and allow peaceful trading and relations to return.

Perhaps then my own people could deal with the Gallente question and finally be rid of encumbering alliances and enmities - a cluster-wide return to peaceful trading and secure borders.

4 Likes

Well, I did say that was by their standards. I’m not known for adhering to Amarr standards, you know. :wink:

2 Likes

It doesn’t matter what you call it. Retribution, justice, vengeance, a necessary evil, whatever. It’ll be bloody nonetheless. There’s no way around it. The Empire will never peacefully release our people until they have been utterly broken.

This leaves no choice but abandonment and betrayal… or taking military action. The former is simply unacceptable.

1 Like

And I did say that I didn’t agree with it - whether it’s by their standards or yours. :slight_smile:

1 Like