Abandoned ships = space junk = we need a solution

I guess it is. The thing is as long as it’s one or a couple of empty ships it’s not a ‘crisis’, especially if it’s a system where you’re just passing through. You may have 7 undocked ships on D-scan and you don’t really know which ( if ) is empty. A couple of empty ships can’t add much more trash on D-scan.
Now if the system is chock full of empty ships and it’s your home then it can be a problem. I said I’m no maid but if there are a few empty ships that really bother me ( I doubt it would but let’s say for argument sake ) then I can take a few minutes to go get and dock them.
I don’t think it’s a big issue. It may be annoying but as Brisc said

And I agree with that. The devs have better to do, like, oh I don’t know: bringing back Bounty System? :sweat_smile:

Probably not.

I absolutely agree that abandoned ships are not an important issue.
I also agree that there are many many more important issues that wait for the devs attention.

But I also think that the quality of every product depends on the quality of each individual aspect, so if I have the chance to enhance one small part with a very quick and easy fix, I’d do it, because it makes my product better while I can keep working on the other more important stuff that may months to fix.
And in theory, this “rule change” should not take a long time of editing and some hours of testing. If the code about shooting ships is well documented and the people currently employed have a clue where to find it. Which is not guaranteed I suppose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. That makes perfect sense.

I don’t think the devs can’t do it. They certainly can.
The thing is, why bother them with something that isn’t a crisis?
Players like to take jabs at game devs but those guys work hard, I have no doubt about it, and under which conditions? They are human too.
Space trash would be last on my list too.

Because they asked for it, in the Smallthings/QoL topic. This issue would exactly be such a thing. A quick and easy change, making EVE a better game.

Seriously @Brisc_Rubal - I think the CSM needs to convene an emergency meeting to fix this.

If they asked for it then :person_shrugging:

In a sandbox game, generally speaking, all things should be allowed unless there is a significant reason to disallow them. Significant meaning something that is game breaking for someone else, completely unfair, or the like.

This does not meet that criteria. We shouldn’t be asking “why is this allowed” - the question should always be “why should this not be allowed” and if you don’t have a better reason than “there’s lots of trash on the gate and it’s unsightly” that’s no reason to make the change.

This is a dystopian future - just pretend the libertarians won and government doesn’t step in.

5 Likes

Alright, I agree. But then a player in this sandbox shouldn’t be penalized or shot by Concord if he/she shoots down these ships, which are nothing more than meaningless garbage from the moment they were abandoned. That’s what I’ve been suggesting since the initial post and that’s what I’m all about. Or is there “a significant reason to disallow” the shooting of abandoned ships with impunity?

2 Likes

exactly, the suggestion is about giving the players more options in this sandbox, not less. Thats why it is a good suggestion, worth thinking about. It leads to more destruction, it could lead to engagement if someone gets suspect for shooting one and then gets attacked by another player, leading to conflict and player interaction. Just win/win/win. Reasons to not allow it? Close to zero.

I agree. We should be allowed to shoot these ghost ships without penalty.

Can you think of any reasons why CCP would not want people shooting random objects in space with impunity?

We’re not talking about “random objects”, but abandoned and derelict ships.

So I may shoot down a tractor beam, which the owner probably wants to pick up again, with impunity. But an abandoned ghost ship (I really mean only corvettes & shuttles), which the owner will never collect again, not. No, here comes Concord and blasts me away.

3 Likes

Sounds like they only want destruction that annoys players. If a player loses something he wanted to keep it’s good destruction but if a player loses something he doesn’t want anyway then it’s bad destruction.
Forbidding the destruction of ghost ships doesn’t make any sense.

by impunity , you mean a 15 minute suspect flag ? allowing unpiloted ships the same status as mtu’s would lead to more destruction. would you accept that risk ? didn’t think so .

this wouldn’t address the off-grid ships cluttering d-scan . do you not care about the players this affects ?
didn’t think so .

@Brisc_Rubal could unpiloted noob ships be given the same expiration timer as jet-cans ?

Let me rephrase the question then. Can you think of any reasons why CCP would not want people shooting empty ships with impunity?

people tricking new players into leaving there ship

We’re looking for answers from CSM, not questions or guessing games.

Look at the bright side he won’t be CSM much longer unless CCP changes the related policy so most likely you don’t have to endure him in that position for long if he bothers you so much. :wink:

Why on earth would you be looking for answers from the CSM? That’s not our job.

Can’t ■■■■■■■ wait.

2 Likes

Despite all the trouble, which in your case was even lightyears more some cases than many other CSM combined, you will still miss it though, be honest. :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp: