Abyssal deaspace and disconnections

Recently I experienced a loss of a ship and implants in an abyssal deadspace due to a disconnection and my ship and pod auto flying into oblivian outside the abyssal boarder.

Now although I agree there should always be a risk verses reward but lossing everything for the sake of a few million isk due to a drop in connection seems a bit extreme as the game will kick you out due a momentary loss in connection forcing you to reload and reconnect.

To help prevent loss in an abyssal deadspace due to a diconnection I have a suggestion for what happens in an abyssal deadspace during a disconnection:

In the event a disconnect occurs for all capsuleers in the abyss, the action in the abyss is paused but NOT the abyssal timer ready for reconnect, this would offer a chance to recover from a disconnect.

This “pause” would only occur if all pilots in a single abyssal instance have disconnected and would only affect ships (movement, regen, etc) in the abyssal and the instance timer would carry on ticking. This would mean no benifit for disconnecting deliberatliy, wont affect pilots outside the instance and if another fleet members jumps in it restarts heavily reducing using disconnects to wait for help.

1 Like

Easier solution, don’t run abyssals if you don’t want the risk. Problem solved.

Inside the Abysss, always use the Q-key and place the location you want your ship to approach to. If you disconnect in approach mode, the ship will continue approaching the location, overshoot it as usual and then turn around and reapproach it, and overshoot it again and then reapproach and so on, until it’s within a certain treshhold, where it will hold the position until a new movement order is given.

4 Likes

Definatley useful information,
Since my first loss due to disconnect I use this as well as other navigation options including using structures as navigation points (orbit, approach, etc).
The reason for not just using Q is it doesn’t support speed tanking if you disconnect and come to a stop it makes you a sitting duck if there is more than one enemy ship.
Any other suggestions are welcome

1 Like

In which case - if you are speed tanking then use Orbit - but try and find the sweet spot between distance and speed. The limiting factor is normally alignment: how fast the ship can turn - fast aligning ships can orbit closer and faster than slow aligning ships.

I’m an Amarrian pilot flying a dual-rep Sacrilege. I ain’t normally speed tanking but I will evade damage by traversal where I can.

You have my sympathy - I had a disconnect in an Abyssal site a few years back - reconnected to find I was comfortably into the red hashed boundary. I just got back with both reps running hard and managed to fight my way through the rest. Lucky rather than planned.

I understand completely why CCP don’t refund unless they see that the disconnect was triggered by something inside their infrastructure - “oops, I’m going to die here - better pull the network cable so I can get my ship back” does change the risk equation unreasonably.
I made the choice of spending a little more for a reliable ISP - I’ve not had a disconnect for about four years now.

2 Likes

The time-factor in abyssals forces pilots to balance tank and DPS on shipfittings - which is really great.
How-ever the mechanics of the abyssals breaks the “emergency-warpout” entirely, causing the pilot to lose ship+pod due to software issues.

The best solution would be to have the “emergency-warpout” cover the abbysal space too (this how-ever would be technical tricky, as it will require better detection of software issues)
Another solution would be to simpy rely on the existing reimburstment feature - and allow reimburstment for losses which are clearly not caused by player.

People would abuse this to circumvent PvP.

While abyssals are mostly disconnected from the PvP sandbox in their private instance, at least there is a certainty that the ship will eventually return to real space (if not dead).

Players looking to fight an abyssal runner just need to find and wait at the scannable trace for a maximum of 20 minutes. This trace is scannable for exactly that reason.

Your suggestion would break this connection Abyssals have to the rest of the game, by allowing abyss runners to simply circumvent any PvP.

Do you see hostiles camping your trace? Kill your abyss runner client to stall the exit indefinitely, until it’s safe again to come out.

Clearly this is not an option that should be introduced to the game.

CCP can verify server issues on their end.

CCP however cannot see the difference between your internet provider messing up versus you pulling your internet cable when you get a bad spawn in order to get your multi-billion cruiser fit back for free without risk from CCP.

Players would abuse it, risk and reward of abyssals would plummet. This is also not a good idea.

1 Like

Hence why I said it is technical tricky :wink:

It is quite easy to differentiate between intentional and unintential disconnects (Just look at human behavior).
So, utilizing the existing reimburstment system is clearly the best way forward.

The current mechanics for sure is broken - and while relying on reimburstment is not ideal, it is still better than the current implementation.

Your argument does not really hold any value here.
If you already have an alt watching your trace, this is already really easy to circumvent. You just have to call in concord :wink:

So, how do you propose CCP can tell the difference between a disconnect and a disconnect?

First, calling in CONCORD does not stop a gank, just makes it a little harder.

Second, many players live outside CONCORD space.

To quote you:

Your argument does not really hold any value here.

The only thing I would support is an auto-stop for your ship (instead of an emergency warp) in case of a detected disconnect, to prevent you flying into the abyssal depths before you can restart your PC/router and log back on.

1 Like

I am assuming you’re referring to intentional vs non-intentional disconnect.

It’s quite simple - just look at the client inputs, and look at behavior patterns. Large portions of this is already implemented in the bot detection analytics :wink:

Exactly - and how-ever you look at it, if you already have an alt watching the trace, you have options to mitigate the gank.
This is completly intentional, and working as intented!

If it is so “simple”, can you explain how exactly the server determines wheather I have plugged my cable while in the abyss or deactivating the network card in the system manager or pull out the power cable of my router? Or resetting the fiber-box in the cellar? Please be specific!

1 Like

Without the source-code, I cannot give you the exact diff for implemeting this. You will need to talk to CCP regarding this, if you need to be that specific.

But in short, every client-side event is sent from your EVE Client to the server on UDP/26000.
For example, an allign event is wrapped in a “4500 0148 bffd 4000” header.
A stop event is wrapper in a “4500 00e8 d728 4000” header…

The abyssal room statistics is recorded server-wide.
Combine the two - and you can clearly see a pattern.

Using the vast amounts of data CCP already have collected, it is fairly easy to spot the behavior that fall out of the commen 95th percentile. And, those are the only session that you’ll need to pay attention to.

NOTE: This is commen game-development… nothing tricky about it… we’ve been using this for years and years to analyze behaviour (also commenly used to vett changes… if players actually use them or not) :wink:

So you can’t know that its absolutely easy to differentiate, you simply assume it. Or to be more specific: You know the server cannot detect the difference, you want CCP to assume the reasons for the connection loss based on collected data and behaviour patterns.

1 Like

Naah not really.
Seems you either misunderstood what I wrote - or do not have that many years of experience in game-development.
The way the EVE Client and server interact makes it quite easy… :wink:

Well then with all your expert knowledge, it should be an easy task for you to explain in detail how the server checks if I have pulled the cable intentionally or my router just ■■■■■■ up. Please, don’t hesitate. It should be explainable in a twitter message if it is that easy.

yeap - it’s quite easy actually.
I’m sure if you look at the data long enough - you’ll catch it too :wink:

Easy, when you intentionally pull the plug you also behave like a good boy and send a UDP packet that sets the „intentional disconnect“ bit, just like how all the evil folks out there doing malicious things on the internet are good stewards and follow RFC 3514 by setting the „evil bit“ on IPv4 headers. Duh!

Translation…
You actually have no idea what you are talking about and thus don’t actually provide an answer.

I’m guessing your years of experience in game development amounts to watching a few podcasts on machine learning that happen to be all the rage right now.

The fact that you said it would be easy by looking at player behavior betrays how little you seem to understand. Human behavior is one of the hardest things analyze.