Abyssal losses are happening

Yeah I’m done, there are only so many ways I can explain it. If they can’t understand it. It is their loss.

while poeple say this is not a isk sinking its half true. The amount of taxes is isk paid to npc that you will never see again

The words “isk sink” have a very specific meaning in EVE. It refers to the reduction of the total supply of ISK in New Eden. It does not refer to whether or not your personal wallet decreased. It has nothing to do with any materials in the game. Materials are not ISK. They are traded with ISK but a transaction of buying or selling materials does not change the ISK supply in the game other than the taxes involved which is secondary to the actual value of the object.

Bottom line: Nothing about items being destroyed directly results in a change in the total amount of ISK in New Eden. Only when you start to add other game mechanics such as insurance does it potentially have a secondary effect.

By the same rule, someone mining is not creating ISK. They are creating materials which they trade with someone else for the ISK that person already has. Again, the total supply of ISK in the game does not change which is precisely what the term “ISK sink” refers to.

EDIT: The “value” you refer to is the amount of ISK you are willing to trade for an item. ISK that already exists and is given to you by another player. Only items such as sleeper blue loot which are bought by NPCs represent an ISK faucet because they create ISK when you sell them by giving you ISK that previously didn’t exist in the game.

2 Likes

Understood. So there are no “true” isk sinks in eve?

LP store payments are isk sink. Trade fee also isk sinks. I posted somewhere example, that single lost Pod with high grade implants can be several milions removed from the game, if owner decide to replace it.

There absolutely are. ISK sinks are things like

• Broker fees (when paid to NPCs)
  • Blueprints (items bought from NPCs)
  • Taxes (non-corp, paid to NPCs)
  • LP store (you buy items from them using ISK + something, that ISK is destroyed)
  • Skillbooks (another NPC supplied item)

there are others like that, various fees (wardec, etc) that also count but make up a much smaller part of the total. You can see a lot of this on the monthly economic report CCP puts out

1 Like

ohhh so in eve the SINK is something that removes isk from circulation entirely and not just assets with an associated value.

Exactly. And conversely an “ISK faucet” is one where ISK is created. Most notable examples of that are bounties (you get ISK from nowhere for killing rats), incursions (though these are tempered by the ISK sink of the LP store), and the blue loot I mentioned from wormhole space which is bought by NPCs after being dropped into the game.

You can’t disregard an argument for something by saying it can be ignored.

I don’t like your argument so it can safely be ignored…gee I wonder if that worked.

I can ignore any argument without having to switch my safety settings so clearly every argument can be safely ignored. :smirk:

1 Like

Ship and pod losses to “Unstable Abyssal Depths” is currently at 576 BILLION ISK, LOLOLOLOL…

2 Likes

So if I buy my implants in the LP store and then they go splat with my clone, where did the isk go?

Who cares if this is an ISK sink or not. Really…

2 Likes

A lot of pirate implants come from ratting drops, not LP stores.

But that may soon change with the abyssal welping factor

Buying implants from an LP store is the isk sink, losing them is not.

For what it’s worth, I’ve run 20+ sites in the past two days on a mid-tier laptop on hotel wifi without losing a single ship.

It directly refers to monetary supply. This is neither novel nor Eve-exclusive and is a rather important idea in formal economics. It sure as hell confuses the Eve forums on a regular basis though.

1 Like

That doesn’t mean anything, what you view as mid-tier others may view as top level. Also doesn’t matter if it’s Hotel or Home WiFi, the Receiver is what matters.

A couple years ago my computer could play Eve with all settings on high. Within that time I’ve had to turn those settings down, first to medium and now recently to low just to keep the same game play performance, and that’s just for the regular game content. Main problem with that - the game doesn’t look good now.

In my opinion the visual aspect of the game is half the fun.

I see your problem. But you can’t seriously blame CCP for moderninzing the looks of the game.