Abyssal Space - I'm disappointed

I just completed a tier 3 gamma in my Phantasm, I had a few tight moments where my shield was around 10% remaining I maintained a stable cap and carefully decreased the DPS on me. Again, went in blindly and worked out techniques quickly, some of them involved afterburning to the biggest DPS dealer and getting a tight orbit and then taking out the smaller rats. Got my ship, pod and loot out safely.

I’m still really impressed with the new content, It’s got me working on fittings and pushing ships to their absolute limit, I’ve got to do some research on the types of rats and what they do, which will help me work out who to primary quickly. I got neuted a few times and reacted some 10 seconds too late. New content has me optimising my gameplay and tactics. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Search for “Demon” in the forums. The first article that returns in the results will have you all set.

1 Like

Anyone got an abyss chat channel I can hang in?

Things are going ok, lost about 1.5b but I’m earning it back surprisingly quick. Ive had some good loot drops on Teir 3 Gamma’s.

I’m using a Vagabond T2 fit, 425mm, cap booster and no web.

The Abyss is a great foundation to build on as it is prolific, I am very much looking forward to seeing fleet filaments for sale where groups of corp members can go in and face these rats and be successful by employing a good strategy and working as a team. I think the harshness of the Abyss is a good training ground for new players because it will teach them tactics they can use in PVP

We could even see pockets of Abyss space for battleships or frigates, I am very proud to be an Eve online player since May 2003.

Keep up the good work CCP.

How would your BB be able to jam someone in high sec? lol. Market PvP is much higher risk. Risk is Isk

Lock, active ECM module, die because of CONCORD.
But I a cheaper and still viable option would be to use a bunch of Griffins, they cost nothing and some of them with skilled capsuleers can jam a wide array of ship.

Market PVP might be risky, but eh, I’m not into that.

That problem is easily solved. Nerf the well known, super obvious and overpowered cruisers. Then all of a sudden you have choice.

And no one runs T4/T5 filaments again ever, except under a capital blob in sov. null. Because the other cruisers need straight up officer modules to have at least some chance of tackling that content successfully and no one in their right mind is going to present their 15b+ cruiser on a silver plate to a bunch of gankers in ultra-cheap T1 ships…

Thus we will have another content that dies within few months with only select few being able to pull out some real isk out of it.

This is going circles, as long as the content is that random there will always be a best ship, be it the Gila or something else. Whatever is best suited to all possible situations. A varying and harsh environment stimulates the evolution towards few very competent and/or niche species. Whereas an environment with predictable, stable, and rich conditions creates a great variety of species.

2 Likes

I might be wrong, but I think that sandbox games are better served increasing choice with many solutions to easier tasks than limiting choice with niche solutions to complex tasks.

1 Like

unless the “randomness” of the creation is by itself random. eg, the constraint of the system creation vary every day within range.

Or even better, every X abyss made in a constellation. so the loot and system construction are constellation-dependent, like the loot and the presence of dedX in HS.

I think there is room for challenging puzzles that have only one or a few solutions, and require players to “dance” in a correct fashion to scripted but random events it in a sandbox game. It seems though while Abyssal space is clearly designed to be random and require player skill to adapt to changing conditions, the weather effects were intended to at least produce different solutions to different flavours of the problem. But it seems the solution to almost all of them is ‘Gila’ which suggests to me that perhaps the issue is with the balance of that ship than with the sites themselves. Ideally, each of the five flavours of site should each have a different ships that is the most efficient for running it.

Further, the lower tier sites are more flexible, and can be run in a variety of cruisers. I agree the time limit (and hard cruiser lock) puts some limit on experimentation, but like running a L4 mission in an assault frigate, other ships are possible to use in lower tier Abyssal sites if you are in the mood to experiment and play. If you are looking for maximum ISK/h in L4 missions, you are also limited to just a handful of ships and fits so it isn’t much different with Abyssal sites.

Exactly. This is why I always advocate for Content like the current missions and anomalies that I always get such heat for.

This “more interesting content” people always ask for always devolves into exactly what you said, a very few sure-fire ways to play it and nothing else. That gets boring fast.

But with missions and anomalies, there are thousands of ways to beat them. Sure there are some “best ways” (supercarrier, titan, smartbombing Machariel for anoms, marauders for regular lvl4 missions and so on), but even the less optimal ways can be rewarding and experimenting adds fun and value.

Some people get stuck on the ideas of improved ai and procedural/dynamic content. But they should focus on what people actually do.

We are still doing missions and anoms even after people have stopped screwing with abyss stuff. I still do abyss tier 3s becuase I’m not rewards obsessed btw.

3 Likes

Like I wrote before, abyssal space will be abaddoned to other pve activities because it’s not paying enough. Easier to farm anoms in NS for ISKs. CCP will never get that, PVE content is for solo, ISK making players. From the begining of gaming there were always rewards for completing tasks, princess in the castles etc.

Out of curiosity what would you do with said missions and anoms? You are talking about them all times but never heard any ideas how to improve them, and don’t tell me we just need more missions in the mission pool.

The solution is simple…

CCP stop to favor pvp over pve and make the exists of abyss unscanable…

I know…a sacrilege in in the so called “pvp game(which it isn’t)”…

Bottom line is : THIS IS PVE and pvp has to have NOTHING to do with it…

So CCP let pve players be and don’t annoy them with greedy pvp “shoot first ask later” and “i kill you and get your stuff because i CAN” idiots…

If not the consequence will be that nobody will do abyss in a couple of weeks anymore…and that will be completely YOUR fault due to the “wonderful” idea “hey let’s make the exit scannable,sounds like fun”…no that was stupid and EVERYBODY with a bigger brain than a pea knows EXACTLY what would happen…

As i said…pvp favoring is not the answer if you do pve content…not even near …

Abyssal space is a different kind of content. It’s basically pvp proof bubble where you are fighting against npc and the only point when you can interact with other players is other side of exit gate. We are playing MMO, players interactions should not be restricted while undocked. On the other hand suspect flag is way to much on the “pvp” side, one can enter and one will come out, it’s predictable. It’s the instancing that caused so much problems, without it we wouldn’t need suspect flags.

A pvp proof bubble is called pve…

And pve has nothing to do with pvp…

The sandbox has limits…a REAL sandbox would allow kills in schoolsystems,HERE everyone accepts bans…
So why should it be a problem to make the exit of abyss un-scanable…

As i said…it’s pve content…

And you still can kill people carrying abyss stuff around at the gates…so no real loss to pvp…

Beside the indignation not getting their asses powered by ccp as they are used to… :slight_smile:

What is wrong with that?
Players make billions never undocking from Jita.
Should they be ejected from the station in a ship with billions of cargo every 20 minutes or less so it can be fair?

1 Like

Lol, you realize your precious PvE would be worthless without PvP? Actually the lack of PvP for Abyss runners lead to the loot devaluation. If all tiers would give a suspect flag in highsec, the loot price would sky rocket. I’m willing to accept interaction-free solo PvE, if rewards are zero, except fun; what most PvE players anyway only seek for, according to the posts here, hence win-win.

1 Like

Not a single item or ISK is generated in a trade hub. Ok, if you want to be pedantic some industry can be done convert things and creating value, but nothing new is spawned into out shared universe out of thin air. Things are only exchanged, and ISK removed via transaction fees and taxes.

Abyssal space, and other PvE, adds ISK and resources into our shared economy. The basic premise of the game is that should not be done without risk, and with only one real exception I can think of right now (Project Discover) that remains true today as it did when the server was released.

PvE in this game is suppose to be competitive and get people out racing for, or even fighting over rewards. Abyssal Space is no different, just another PvE activity that puts players at risk. How much risk it puts you at is suppose to scale with the rewards, and it does in this case. There is nothing especially new or different about this PvE other than CCP is experimenting with using a suspect flag to create the risk vs. reward balance that all PvE in this game follows.

1 Like