Add RIG slots to Freighters and Jump Freighters, CCP time to add?

And that was my point above about not nerfing for best case.
The cargo issue can be solved by making a significant amount of it a special hold rather than base cargo. Or just finally give cargo extenders a stacking penalty which then allows a rebalance of cargo space in all the larger ships including larger combat ships who have artificially low cargo space just to stop 8 cargo extender battleships.

2 Likes

Ideally stacking penalties should apply to rig hp modules, after all they are all % bonus and not a static bonus like armor plates.

Always thought that was odd.

In the past they lowered it so that net net there is no change.

1 Like

That isn’t entirely true across all the variables involved.
And doesn’t work when you consider such a wide range of options that rigs would give.
You have to average it out across all possibilities or you end up with a nerf no matter how you rig it.

1 Like

This is why I think the idea is basically bad and pointless.

Hauling gameplay is currently pretty bad. The entire ecosystem is designated prey and predator setup. It doesn’t make for engaging gameplay. This was recognised for low and null with jump freighters a decade ago. I don’t understand why everyone wants to keep forcing the already recognised terrible gameplay on high.

This is not to say ganking as an idea is bad or that there is an issue with how much happens. it’s to say ganking as it happens atm isn’t an engaging experience. And one of the things that needs to change is getting away from the modern idea of mega ships that have nothing but cargo space and nothing else on them. And more towards dynamic eras of history for inspiration such as gold galleons and ww2 engineering tanks.

Rig slots on their own won’t achieve this, not really in disagreement there, but there sheer idea that a freighter should just be a giant shuttle and have nothing but what the bare hull comes with is a huge problem.

1 Like

Of course nobody said that low slots would be removed in process.

1 Like

So, just wanted to point out two more things:

1. You keep talking about increased signature radius as if it would be a significant penalty for freighters or jump freighters. Freighters have capital ship sized signature radaii (over 10,000), which means that sucaps will already lock them pretty much instantly, and subcap weapons will already do the maximum theoretical damage to them. In return for an effective non-penalty, freighters and jump freighters would gain the ability to increase their shield resists EHP (either resists or hitpoints) or increase their warp speed. That essentially gives them something for nothing (aside from the ISK cost of the rigs), so this change isn’t just about “increasing flexibility”, it’s a straight-out buff.

2. You also speak of reduced velocity as if it is a significant penalty for freighters or jump freighters. Unless you’re autopiloting (in which case, you deserve to get ganked), this is also not a significant penalty. Assuming an Armor Rigging skill level of IV, each T1 armor rig will slow down a freighter or jump freighter by about 4-6 m/s. In exchange for that pittance of a speed reduction, freighters or jump freighters could receive a massive boost to their armor EHP (either resists or hitpoints). While not as egregious as the signature radius example above, this would most definitely benefit freighters and jump freighters a massive amount more than it would hurt them, so, again, this wouldn’t be “increasing flexibility”, it would largely just be a buff.

I understand that you say you’re not asking for a freighter buff and that you say the rig penalties will offset their bounses, but what you’re asking for is actually a freighter buff in practice because the rig penalties in these two cases don’t even come close to offsetting the bonsues when you apply them to a freighter or jump freighter.

1 Like

Because it is a get over profession.

Fly big shuttle, win.

Want something more interesting? Do something more interesting.

1 Like

It’s not that I want to keep forcing boring gameplay, it’s that the proposals for making it interesting range from “convoluted mess that won’t work in reality” to “probably breaks the game” to “**** off farmer trash, you aren’t getting PvP removed from highsec”. It’s easy to come up with general ideas like “make it like piracy in the age of sailing ships”, it’s much harder to turn that into viable mechanics that don’t break a dozen other things in the process. So, while the system as it is now isn’t perfect, it at least functions and that is a decisive argument for keeping it.

1 Like

That’s a good argument for not doing dumb changes, but not a good argument for not taking a look at the whole system. Yes it’s not easy to do a big change, but let’s at least admit the current design does suck, even if we are scared of changes breaking other things.

1 Like

Sure. I admit that the current system is pretty boring, it’s just not an area that seems to have a high potential for successful improvements and therefore I don’t think CCP should spend any developer attention on it.

So… you don’t think a system where industrials could do things like viably form up into small convoys with enough firepower to kill gankers, solo gankers can easily find solo targets, where reps and overheat have enough time to matter and where player knowledge and skills have an impact at gank time (as opposed to the what do I bring question) is a desirable gameplay situation?
Just you know… checking that you actually feel that sort of gameplay has no value because that seems to be what you are saying.

No, I’m saying that I don’t think that there is any chance of creating that gameplay, at least not without making massive (and extremely risky) changes to the entire concept of highsec. This is exactly the kind of thing I just mentioned: the idea sounds great as a one-sentence description, but when you try to turn that into actual game mechanics you run straight into near-impossible obstacles.

1 Like

Yeah. I disagree that those obstacles are near impossible. I think you are way overstating things.
Yes it is a significant change, not just a number tweak. But hardly the first time in EVE that’s been done

1 Like

And I think you don’t understand how the presence of CONCORD enforces the current approach to ganking and prevents any other approach from being realistic. You can make changes that adjust the cost of ganking a target (and therefore the number of targets and rate of attacks), but unless you remove CONCORD the only viable way to kill a target will be suicide ganks using overwhelming DPS to kill a target without any chance of failure.

(Now, if you want to talk about removing CONCORD that’s a valid idea, but I think we both know there is zero chance of it ever happening.)

1 Like

I suppose there’s a second option: completely change the map to make most highsec into lowsec or NPC nullsec, break up all large highsec regions such that any hauling trip outside the local area requires leaving highsec for at least some of the route, and remove jump freighters entirely. CONCORD stays, but it is effectively taken out of the picture by moving all of the relevant activity into places where CONCORD doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Significantly increasing the concord timer achieves the same goal without needing removal.

And, as I have already explained, it causes massive problems elsewhere. All you do is trade a lower rate of freighter ganks for a massive increase in attacks on everything else in highsec, quite possibly to the point where it is impossible to do any meaningful PvE anymore because any combat PvE ship will be promptly destroyed and looted the moment it undocks.

And even in the context of freighter ganking everyone is still probably going to use the same basic tactics, just with slight adjustments to the fit. As long as the end result of an attack is still destruction by CONCORD whether you win or lose anyone with any sense is only going to attack when victory is guaranteed. Making the gank ships fit token T1 basic armor plates or shield extenders is hardly a meaningful change.

1 Like

Yeah… The fact you call having to fit armour plates token…

Of course. If CCP are going to keep running events which buff gankers industrials clearly need a buff even in the current system.

1 Like