AFKing for long hours in stations

As I am camping trade hubs I noticed that a lot of players AFKs in station long hours. What leads players to do this?

I know that antigankers do this because they think that gankers will sit in station too scared to undock :rofl: . I remember that we used to do it when I was newbie in wardec intentionally for the enemies to waste their time trying to wait for us to undock.

But a lot of these players that I track don’t know that I am hunting them, they are not at war with anyone. They dock to Jita or Amarr and sits then for 8 hours sometimes more before undocking or logging off.

And then there are regular afkers, naming is not allowed, but there are players docked in various systems for whole day doing nothing. At tradehub, I suppose you can say that these players are playing the market. But what leads to some players to afk 24/7 in Uedama or Sivala systems?

I can think of many reasons, from station trading to gathering information about which players are in local. AFK or preparing ship fits. Ship spinning highscore or pretending to be online all day so people don’t know when you undock. Scam contract spam or industry. Updating PI or asleep.

3 Likes

My wife has fell asleep before using her PC. I have often found her asleep and reboot the PC in the morning then wake her up and tell her to go to bed. I don’t know if she has done it with this game, but I imagine other players fall asleep on the game.

Another possibility is minimized game while waiting on some task to finish. I minimize while mining gas in my venture. A full load is 50 mins, I can take in an episode on Disney+Hulu or another stream, get some work done, etc… I set a phone alarm for the time and return. Other players might forget or leave it running for the day.

If I find you or others camping a gate, I pull over in a station and play on another character advancing the rest of the crew. After all unless you AFK 24/7 in space at a gate, I can return 8 to 14 hours later and jump the gate. Omegas can play 2 or more at one time, so they could be elsewhere and that one in the system is just present since they didn’t logout.

I am now 2 years into the game, I know better than to haul big loads into Jita without a plan. I don’t fly expensive cargo in and out in massive hauler ( tayra, miasmos, etc. ) I will break up my load and ship in smaller less expensive ships, if needed. Then should a ganker attack and kill a tiny ship they have the enforcers to deal with.

Other than all that, there are some people who have died and left the game running, the power, rent, and bills auto-pay at their bank, the retirement check gets direct deposited. Their mummified corps sits alone at the keyboard… unless they have pets.

1 Like

You honestly can’t think of a reason why people would stay online 24/7 in Uedama and Sivala? Really?

Uedama is like gank central (they’re all waiting to be bat-phoned for a juicy freighter)…

I don’t think so. Nobody really cares and if they are already in Sivala or Uedama it means they already passed through the gank radar. Plus there is an Uedama Scvout stream.

But even if this was true. The question is - why keep the game running when you are going to afk for multiple hours?

I forgot and left the game running all night.

Edit: Got up to tuck my partner in, ended up making love and fell asleep.

Are you actually asking this?

Like how long have you played this game? Longer than me, and you don’t know?

Well, I’m not gonna teach you for free.

3 Likes

I will log in at what is my normal bed time and then log out in the morning when I’m heading out to work so no one has a baldy notion what my timezone is.

CCP cloneblanks logged in to boost the numbers.

Or, more seriously, similar to one guy who used to play (hasn’t been on in a few years now), who said he left his 2 accounts logged in all day because if he wanted to check something in-game it saved him the several minutes of launcher/login/game load time.

Most games have an inactivity timeout that boots you if you’re doing nothing for too long, but CCP has fairly obvious reason not to do this.

Seems to me that missing the point and attacking a stranger is the Karen event of this post.

Read the title and first post.

One of three things are true:

1: Thread is genuine, therefore my statement stands.
2. Thread is troll thread, therefore my statement stands.
3. Thread is RP thread, in which case there’s a section of the forums for that, this needs to be there, and my statement stands.

I’m not replying to you in that post or asking a question of the general community, so close your blinds and mind your own business, Karen.

1 Like

A long time ago when I used to mine in Mirilene there were always the same characters sitting there in the station at Moon 9. Every time I happen to re-visit Mirilene, they are still there. No idea why, as although Moon 9 station does buy some ore now and then, most people mining in Mirilene sell it next door in Vittenyn.

Calm down miner.

Wait, so you finished crying at me here: What Actually Is Eve Online? - #288 by Your_Ex-Girlfriend, but you were just pretending to move on with your life, and instead you ran over here to continue the same temper tantrum?

Yes these afkers seems to be almost in every system as far as I can tell. Docked in station for tens of hours and rarely undocking if ever. Them having clean killboard for countless years suggest that they don’t.

I suppose that one explanation would be scouting, but being out in space cloaked or how some are doing orbiting gate with highspeed would be much better. And specifically Sivala doesn’t make a sense because the local is permanently shown on Uedama Scout stream.

I even heard an opinion from one salty guy that they are bots added by CCP.

Alts.

I have several alts with no skills, they’re just there to give me eyes in other systems.

There are a lot of hostile characters in this game and only a buck eehljit wades into a system without firat knowing who’s there.

I’m running 10 AFKers right now!

me too but cloaked and watching gates, I don’t see much of a point to have them docked

I dock them so that @Your_Ex-Girlfriend doesn’t grief me with a secret PvP main.

3 Likes