Algos fitting suggestions and opinions

Hi, I’m playing EVE since a month and a half and actually I use a Gallente Algos Destroyer and would like to receive suggestions and opinions about fitting, because I’m not too sure if I’m making the most of its characteristics.

First some clarifications:

1. I’m an ALPHA, not Omega, so keep in mind I have lot of skills limitations
  2. I’ve worked hard in this month and a half, evolving the base skills (IE everything can reduce CPU, powergrid and capacitor requirements),but still I’m really limited in these fields
  3. I’m playing exclusively PvE combat missions (career and security agents), so I’m not interested for the moment in using ECM etc.
  4. I know that many pilots dislike destroyers because they are a compromise, slower than frigates and not nearly as powerful and armored as cruisers, but I still have to evolve proper skills for cruiser and medium weapons, and in the meantime frigates were not suitables to do LVL 2 missions with ease. Destroyer is.

Ok, so. I tried to imagine a brawler and a kite fitting for my Algos. I’ll give you two variants for each type:

Brawler:

High slots:
5x Light Neutron Blaster II with Void S

Medium slots:
5MN Quad LiF Restrained Microwarpdrive (1513,6 m/s)
2x F-S9 Small Regolith Compact Shield Extender

Low slots:
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Power Diagnostic System II

Rigs:
Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I
Small Processor Overclocking Unit I

Brawler 2

High and Medium slots are the same as the other fitting

Low slots:
Damage Control II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Drone damage Amplifier II

Rigs:
2x Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
P

Kite:

High slots:
5x 150mm Railgun II with Spike S

Medium slots:
1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner (670 m/s)
SmallShield Extender II
F-S9 Small Regolith Compact Shield Extender

Low slots:
Overdrive Injector System II
Damage Control II
Capacitor Power Relay I

Rigs:
Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I
Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I

Kite 2

High slots are the same as the other Kite fitting

Medium slots:
Small Azeotropic Restrained Shield Extender
F-90 Compact Sensor Booster
1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner (670 m/s)

Low slots:
Damage Control II
Vortex Compact Magnetic Field Stabilizer
Drone damage Amplifier II

Rigs:
2x Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Capacitor Control Circuit I

[Algos, Arty Algos]

Small Armor Repairer II
Micro Auxiliary Power Core I
Damage Control II

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Cap Recharger II
Small Cap Battery II

280mm Howitzer Artillery II, Phased Plasma S
[Empty High slot]

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Anti-Thermal Pump I
Small Anti-Kinetic Pump I

Hobgoblin II x6
Hammerhead II x3

Carbonized Lead S x1000
Depleted Uranium S x1000
Phased Plasma S x1000

Depending on your ammunition used you have anywhere from a 7K optimal to a 35K falloff engagement range with the artillery cannons. Your salvo damage with the short range stuff is roughly 750 even with alpha skills. The Algos hull only has a tracking bonus with hybrid guns and not damage, meaning one can substitute another weapon system if they so choose. The arty cannons take no capacitor to fire and are much more effective at just blapping what you mostly find in lower tier security missions within one to two salvos.

Drones are to be utilized in either a 5x light or 3x light and 2x medium flight setup. Lights will take care of frigates and destroyers, the pattern with a couple mediums thrown in is for burning down the occasional cruiser in those level 2 missions faster.

Resists and tank recovery are what allow PvE ships to effectively do their content, your fits you listed basically opted for pure buffer without a care in the world for resists making them much less effective. When the armor rep in the fit I listed is going you have roughly 48 effective health recovered per second… as long as you aren’t getting hit with explosive damage. So stay away from missions against Minmatar or Angels with said fit.

“Perfect” Capacitor stability is a trap. The fit I gave has around four quality minutes of being able to simultaneously run both the afterburner and the armor rep simultaneously. In that time you should either be able to kill enough of the enemies that you don’t need to run both (up to 25 minutes of stability with just the rep running…) or warp out to repair if you know your tank is failing.

You are of course free to substitute meta 3/4 arty cannons to get into using them much faster than training small projectiles all the way to rank V incurring the minor losses in damage, range, and firing rate from using a lesser weapon.

For kiting fits you can stay with shield tank, but you’ll need some shield boost or recharger. Anciliary will take up a lot of cargo space for cap charges, recharger will greatly increase your mission time if or when you need to get out of range completely and just sit there to recharge, while regular will eat cap.

I also recommend to ditch the MWD. While it gives you speed, it also blows up your sig. Afterburner is much easier to fit, maintain and doesn’t blow up your sig. At only lvl 2 missions you can almost entirely avoid damage at around 300-500 transversal. No need for MWD.

For brawling the above posted fit is a good one, though on the Algos you’re better off just getting rid of one gun and go with 4 or go to 1 size smaller guns, then ditch the Micro Power Core for a Drone Damage Amplifier.

I was thinking at MWD because speed is essential for a brawler: if I have weapons with a optimal range, to say, of 1.5 km and I warp to the location at 30 km from the first enemy ship, it means that I have to cover 28,5 km before I’m capable to hit. So if I need 30 seconds or more to cover those 28,5 km probably I will take a lot of damage in the meantime. Isn’t it?

Under alpha restricts he’d need to just drop to the 250s instead of the 280s unless he wants to burn an implant slot on power grid on the drop a gun and fit a drone damage amp.

Yes that gives ~20 extra DPS with the drone amp and smaller guns but he loses ~1.5K optimal and 7K falloff range in that trade. So in the grand scheme of things actual damage application doesn’t improve too much because drones have travel time while the gun application is instant while within range.

Just to understand:

why Small Anti-Thermal Pump I and Small Anti-Kinetic Pump I and not anti-EM or anti-explosive?

Majority of missions deal damage across EM + Therm, Therm + Kin, or Kin + Explosive. Only Minmatar and Angels specifically hard focus the explosive end of the spectrum. Armor’s natural strength is EM damage resistance, therefor with the limited available slots ~57% resistance is “good enough”. The two getting rig slots are raised from ~44% to ~61% resistance value, thereby raising the effectiveness of armor against that damage which also increases how much value you get out of your armor repair module per cycle.

This means you can more effectively use the fit against any faction but the two with an explosive damage focus with a fair amount of effectiveness in the L2 security mission bracket. Drones are an interesting case in that their damage types dealt change as you start poking at L3 and L4s, but where you are they are in that EM + Thermal bracket.

1 Like

Brawling will only get you killed.
A frigate will do a better job at level 2 missions. Let the NPCs come to you, not the other way around.
You want to control the fight. Let them chase after you, while you keep your distance and shoot them one by one.
If I recall, level 2 may have a cruiser in them, so that will be your last “boss” target. Stay out of range of that “boss”.

Back when I started, I had the same idea but my Cormorant was roasted so quickly, I couldn’t take one shot.
My Merlin however did not let me down. I think the Incursus will be a better choice or if it has to be drones, the Tristan will be your ship of choice.

Please, don’t turn him into a barbarian. The Gallente are a democratic society, not some freedom fighters.

T1 Frigate doesn’t give him an effective engagement range of up to 35K depending on ammo used. Also hybrids basically are a trap for newer players because either you need to get in really darn close to use blasters or you are constantly playing the kite game with the rails optimal range. Meanwhile projectile guns have much of their effectiveness in the falloff ranges and unlike hybrids have ammo based damage selection.

The barbarian tries clubbing everything the same way over and over, the veteran doesn’t care where the weapons come from as long as they work. Also if you are going to go the RP route. The Minmatar are a republic allied with the Gallente so… cough. He should be considering cross training anyways!

1 Like

It is drone boat, so:

4 railguns

Microwarpdrive
small shield extender
thermal dissipation amplifier

3 drone damage amplifiers

2 small core defense field extender
small anti-kinetic screen reinforcer (or anti-EM screen reinforcer if needed)

Also fit a nosferatu if you want. I never use mine.

4 medium drones
4 small drones

I do fly-by’s to get some aggro on my ship instead of on the drones. If the drones get aggro’ed, I just recall them until I can get aggro back on the ship. This slaughters level 2 missions.

No. Well, sometimes yes, it depends on you. MWD you will take a ton more damage at 1st as you are gaining range because of the sig blow up, then you will get hit at further ranges, again because of sig blowup.

With AB, all you need to do as you are getting out is to angle yourself instead of just going straight out, so that you start getting transversals. With low AB skills you should still be able to easily get around 300-500ish transversals, as your skills go up this will increase dramatically. At lvl 2 security missions mobs will start entirely miss you at around 200ish and others will do greatly reduced damage, at around 400-500 nothing will hit you. So thats the key. Remember to watch your transversal column. So you don’t actually need that full range to start avoiding damage. Just park yourself and orbit on something at 20-25km while non-stop maintaining AB, see how it works. Then repeat at different orbit ranges, go down to 10m, 5km, etc.

Also, MWD at low skills both MWD and Cap is just an incredible cap hog, you can not keep it up without sacrificing too much in other areas cause you will need rigs or cap batteries / rechargers, etc.

For starter PVE like this, the only time MWD is better then AB is when you are webbed on landing, which does not happen at those levels or is super rare.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.