Alpha changes: Best (Battle)ship for LvL4 missions

Fine. You feel the figures are “exaggerated” (whatever your rationale), and you’re entitled to your opinion.

Some of us routinely achieve and exceed this number, but don’t take our word for it. There have been numerous write-ups, guides, streams, etc. - so it’s not like you need to belong to the Super Secret Squirrel Club (null-sec) to turn this into reality.

again, you totally fail to understand my point.

I criticize all those guides for the precise reason I gave. and yet you don’t even consider those reasons.

forget the “exagerated” and focus on the arguments I gave. Otherwise you are out of the topic.

You feel the numbers are exaggerated when some of us actually know they’re not. Despite evidence to the contrary you’re steadfast in your belief, so I’m not sure who you’re trying to convince?

As I’ve stated, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion (even if it just so happens to be wrong in this case).

You have no reason to say “know” for your opinion and “feel” for mine.

You still fail at discussing the arguments I provided. I’m not sure who you’re trying to convince.

As I’ve stated, you’re certainly entitled to your opinion (even if it just so happens to be wrong in this case).

I know reading isn’t your strong suit, but I’ll try one last time to explain… I have in fact reached (and exceeded) 200m ISK/hour following the methods outlined in the aforementioned guide. Even with your list of counterpoints. So I’m not basing my comments on my opinion, but verified fact.

You can continue to agree to disagree, of course.

historically it is an understatement, however with current SOE lp values and burner tank changes I’d say it’s pretty close to accurate. Last time I checked in on a hateless stream he was saying 180m/hr but he was also dual boxing it. I haven’t nitpicked his times or setups so I can’t say if he is under/over stating things, but according to my own experience it is a very reasonable number.

as for your other points

1. moving goods does take time, luckily courier contracts to trade hubs are cheap. Or a blockade runner trip which doesn’t take that long. I typically will do sell runs every 1m LP or so, so assuming it takes an hour to do the jita run and put up orders, that’s <10% of time. I’ve mostly just used alts to move things, but if I were to courier contract it would be what a few mil/hr to pay for that? I’d probably pay more for ship repairs and ammo. Lann->Jita is a 35m redfrog, with public contracts I’d pay way less.

2. if you are time sensitive you can sell to buy orders sure that’s another bit off the top, the top 5 SoE buy orders right now are 1255-1523 isk/lp, where sell orders are largely in the 1500-2000 range. I’m still comfortable saying 200mil/hr with the 1200-1500 isk/lp rates, like I said 200m/hr is historically an understatement.

3. With trading you have to make choices about what to min/max. what matters most to you; volume, profit, or timing? The most profitable items are typically the virtue implants, but they are low volume and can take a long time to sell. If you are just looking to move a ton of LP maybe you try and sell stratios, lower isk/lp but can move a lot of LP quickly. Or somewhere in the middle probably want probes/probe launchers. if you put up a competitive offer stuff usually sells. sure it might take some time, but that’s not time spent micro managing the order. Also you don’t have to sell in jita, but that will likely alter the isk/lp ratio and the time it takes to sell. Almost every other isk making form requires selling things too. Ratting has some faction drops, and escalation BM selling.

4. It is possible the market crashes, but like I said, for the last 10 years LP has largely remained constant. Back when people first started running burners SoE was trading around 2k isk/lp, some of the first big claims I saw were in the 300-400mil range. It’s been ~3 years of burners and the soe LP has largely settled into the ~1500 range

5. Ship loss is a thing, but you can also loot faction mods from burners. I’d say long run it is pretty even. Loss is also an issue for other income streams.

1 Like

Bingo.

1 Like

It’s good that you are making those values out. Because I didn’t see them in the various claims.

My values for burners drop are around 3M/burner (a bit less).For some of the burners it’s less than the ammos+rep value.

flight of light drones sort the frigates out

With the price drops on a pirate hull tho you’re only spending maybe 100m more depending on the standard battleship you choose. Sometimes the extra armor/shield/targeting and bonus stats can turn even a basic entry fit into a level 4 mission boat. At least by opinion. I bounce between a couple of boats when I mission run. Depends on my mood lol.

i’d say just fly whatever battleship feels more comfortable on your own point of view. if your gametime was gated by isk then the most isk efficient of those mentioned above would be the best option. but as an alpha you can fly whatever you want because your time is only dependant on your RL time constraints.

i’d personally want to fly a Tempest, either on its T1 or Navy version (if the wallet allows it). after flying around in a Rupture im growing on the Autocannon side, using a web and armor tank for brawling rats into submission.

outside of that, it has the best aesthetics of all the Minmatar battleship line (the Typhoon gets close due to its recent visual update, as for the Maelstrom, i cant digest it…).

heck if possible i would even dare to use a Tornado for L4s. i’d probably die quickly but it would be worth the stupidity. :'v

What ever happened to the good old raven pwn boat :smiley:

it’s fine, probably even pretty good for a t1 bs, but it’s slow and boring compared to other options. Pirate BS got big buffs, and most large weapon systems have been buffed, where the raven is mostly the same ship it’s always been.

[Rattlesnake, AlphaSnake]

Drone Damage Amplifier II
Ballistic Control System II

500MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II

Drone Link Augmentor II
Rapid Heavy Missile Launcher II, Inferno Fury Heavy Missile

Large Core Defense Field Extender I

Hobgoblin II x5
Gecko x1

Bling and upgrade rigs according to your wallet. Also drop LSEs or props for omnis or missile guidance computers according to need.

I have a Sentry Domi setup that worked well for running L4s. Unfortunately, as an Alpha, I can’t use that setup (obviously). I would rather not waste a hull and modules I’ve equipped, so am hoping to get some suggestions. I skimmed over the myriad of responses, and didn’t see one (though it’s possible I missed it). I have all the skills related to ships and modules an Alpha can have, if that helps. Thanks in advance.

A rattlesnake. T1 arbalest launchers. Gecko as the primary done (plus a couple of flights of light drones to take care of the small stuff). Focus on drone damage rather than missiles. Get a blingy shield booster and mid-slots/rigs to cover resistance holes. Make sure you can perma run your booster.

1 Like

I’m interested in the alpha experiences with Rattlesnakes. Has anyone actually used them for alpha mission running so far?

Myself, I went with Machariel and it does - unsurprisingly - work quite okay. It’s fairly fast, does okay DPS for an alpha clone and because turrets are the main weapon system, some mission parts can be skippable/blitzable without running into mass aggro issues, which is pretty nice to keep mission times around 20 min mark and shorter.

I don’t have an alpha account skilled up enough to try out a rattlesnake, but I am training one up in that general direction.

It SHOULD work for two main reasons.

First, the gecko is effectively equal to or superior to T2 large drones (which Alphas can’t use)… while not actually being a T2 drone and is available for use with alpha skills. The drone damage for the Rattlesnake is a role bonus as well. For that reason, it should be the most potent weapon system available for Alpha BS. (again… “shoulds” here because i haven’t done it yet).

Second… the tank aspect of the Rattlesnake should have very little impact from having alpha skills. Caldari BS 4 means a +16% to all shield resists (while 5 gives you +20). That’s frankly a massive tank boost even with Alpha skills, which should make mission running simple.

Basically, most RS fits only lose two things… Sentry Drones and T2 cruise missiles.

Now how it compares to a Machariel… I don’t know. The speed of the machariel probably aids in running missions quicker, but the damage takes a much larger nerf from an Omega running a Mach to an alpha doing the same than a Gecko RS fit would.

Oh, I am sure that Rattlesnake will work - after all, people were running lvl4 in T1 Battleships before sentries were even introduced into the game and were doing okay by the standards back then. I’m just wondering how well it works for an alpha character in comparison to other options(hence the name of the thread).

[Rattlesnake, Simulated Rattlesnake]
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II
Capacitor Flux Coil II

Dread Guristas X-Large Shield Booster
’Stalwart’ Particle Field Magnifier