With discussions going on about more ISK sinks, less citadel spamming and better PvE, among other things, I thought it is time for CCP to consider improving upon the citadel system they have now. So far, corporations just deploy the things, feed them fuel and profit from taxing other players for their services; however, it seems nobody has stopped to think about how citadels are not empty spaces with hangars for capsuleer ships, but actual cities in space. There are perhaps hundreds of thousands of people living in each, for free!
So my suggestions are the following:
- Upon deployment, the owning corporation must assign one of their members as the Mayor of the citadel. Such a title comes with responsabilities, but also perks, like being invited to cocktail parties and other social events.
- A new interface should be made available to control tax rates for both citizens and capsuleers, and also budgeting for police enforcement, healthcare, education and emergencies like fires and Tornados. This budget would effectively be an ISK sink.
- Capsuleers never leave their quarters while in station (I’m told some don’t even leave their pod), but citizens have to commute and visit their relatives or friends! This is why there should be tools to design public transportation routes.
- As hinted in point 2, enemy fleets are fine and all, but we also need procedurally generated disasters to make life more fun in citadels. Wandering black holes, sudden gamma ray bursts, corrosive gas clouds, Drifter attacks… you name it, New Eden has all kinds of danger.
- Finally and very importantly, Mayors need tools to define their citadel’s zoning and occupation; however, in these post-modern times, discrete zoning cannot be accepted, so it is time CCP innovate in the field of architecture in videogames and implement mixed zoning for healthier, more humane citadels.
I hope you agree with me this would make the game so much better.
Coming up next: An exceptional collection of suggestions for Planetary Interaction