And the most ugly ship in EVE is

Here’s the ISS:

It’s a bit Minmatar, a bit construction scaffolding and a bit fuel depot.

By comparison, all of the ship designs in EVE are beautiful.

4 Likes

But ISS is orbital station, something along the lines of POCO. It is pretty for what it is. Its esthetic is that of a space pioneer base, comparable in essence to ancient roman army camp build when on campaign.

2 Likes

Well, sure. We haven’t sent anything manned much further than orbit, so we don’t have much to go off to compare relative beauty of spaceships.

At least the original designs in EVE have some variety. Their uniqueness alone is beautiful.

I think its rather low effort modelling and concepting sold as originality in most cases. Maybe sanctioned by old timey models that were done from 2D concepts only, for old computers, without 3d concept stage. Some ships are different than concept arts also, they are less pretty than on concepts. And the texturing details hurt your eyes on those old models. Overall, quality of the old graphics is questioned today when you see new.

1 Like

Thanatos.

Looks like Nyx’s special needs twin

4 Likes

Nyx is still the most awesome gallenteship.

The brutix is literally the space embodiment of a flying fist, its here to fist you to death

3 Likes

its the revenant. end of discussion, giant lumpy turd.

1 Like

The space fish is a thing of beauty and grace and I will not hear otherwise

1 Like

the Old Scorpoin makes me Cry

1 Like

Imicus (Helios) looks like it hit a Nyx while in warp and got bent in the middle.

I saw a post of concept art for a straightened out version but not sure if fan made or CCP work in progress.

2 Likes

CCP showed the straight imicus few years ago, along with other concepts for gallente frigates. Navitas and Atron was there also. Just search for imicus, atron, navitas redesigns in Google.

From what I get here some players just can’t stand any asymmetrical design. (A lot of my co-workers can’t stand that either.) I like EVE for the asymmetric and strange design; it makes it feel more utopic for me. The new Enforcers look lame to me, like something any other game or even the Airforce could have done too. But I can see how asymmetric design is a problem with a game full of people that kind of love symmetric things by default.

2 Likes

This is the one I was thinking of: http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/novafox/Newimicus.png

It’s a tweak of the redesign concept. I will still fly a Helios even bent out of shape but I like these better.

In reply to Greg Goldstein: They don’t have to be completely symmetrical but I do prefer something that looks like it might actually fly in the direction you want it to go when you engage the thrusters.

4 Likes

Yes, its actually an improvement. I dont remember who made this tho, just anybody have the same idea of cutting off the original “wings”, but it looks even better after this. :thinking:

1 Like

Asymmetric designs also suffers from less defined details in textures, because you have to draw texture for asymmetric part additionally and put it on the same area in file as the texture for symmetric design.

Helios/imicus is charming, it’s not a bad case of assymetric design. The Helios is balanced where something like catalyst is unbalanced. The old scorpion especially.

The exequror however was ruined. It was fine before and they added some more engines but it doesn’t have any personality now. Two big ugly radar dishes on each side and a little re’re training wheel engine on the center rear instead of its large assymetric wing in the right side that was balanced by a much larger engine on the left.

Noctis is quite ugly in general but it’s a good assymetric design at least. Just the overall ships is unbearably ugly, the assymetricality is probably the only thing going for it.

1 Like

Almost forgot about this concept

Not saying it’s super ugly, but it looks more like a battleship from Warhammer 40k than a minmatar destroyer.

could pass as a caldari ship

2 Likes

It’s a fat rat, or mouse.

Thorax and ferox look beautiful imo :'c