Another Fail Event

The way CCP runs these things, IIRC, “event runs from the 13th to the 16th” usually implies ‘the start of downtime on the dates mentioned’.

Actual ‘days’ of the event look like:
Day 1: Downtime 13th to downtime 14th
Day 2: Downtime 14th to downtime 15th
Day 3: Downtime 15th to downtime 16th

Technically the event is not available on the 16th, since the ‘gift claim day’ that ends on the 16th is actually the one that begins on the 15th. CCP has had issues with posting dates in this fashion for years. It always generates complaints, it always causes them to significantly miss their assumed objective of ‘generating positive feelings in the player base’, it could always be easily solved simply by actually including the full day listed as the ‘end’ date in the event.

As usual, CCP doesn’t care, doesn’t learn, doesn’t even notice people are complaining about it. They’re probably all clapping each other on the back right now for another ‘great event’ that ‘addressed player needs’ and boosted their login numbers to the point where they got this month’s bonus payout.

2 Likes

You mean that whole thing where CCP starts and resets events based on downtime instead of 12:00 am wherever you happen to live?

13th, downtime at 11:00 utc.
14th, downtime at 11:00 utc is the first day.
15th, downtime at 11:00 utc is the second day.
16th, downtime at 11:00 utc is the third day.

Yeah, it’s been programmed like this for the last 10 years of events.

It is the 3 day event coded as 3 that begins and ends at downtime. You know, like it’s always, always been, for the past decade that EVE has been doing events for?

Maybe think before you post.

Technically, if you haven’t gotten the third day reward yet, and didnt redeem after 11:00 utc on the 15th, then the 16th at 9:00 or 10:00 is still available to redeem.

The thing is, it’s always been like this. I would understand a brand new player would make this mistake.

Salt fowmbreaker is not a brand new player.

He may seem like a somewhat, slow player. But he is not new.

They added the timer thingy.

I agree with you but, the info also appeared in the Launcher as well so, if OP had bothered to log in he would have seen it. That’s how I learned about the event.

Thanks, I think :rofl:

The 16th anniversary giveaway was like this. Lots of people complained bitterly. Subsequent events were better. Now we are back to the old way. Maybe CCP’s measurements say that the no-warning events are better.

To me it seems like there is no higher vision, just individuals doing whatever they think.

I got an Email notice about the event from CCP on Saturday morning. Sorry but that’s a bit late, especially since it started on Friday the 13.

I didn’t say their web site = Home / Articles / News pages, I said The Official Forums.

2 Likes

That’s different to “the problem with CCP is they don’t post on their own forums”. They did post. You just don’t actually read what they post and then complain that it’s CCP’s fault.

Timing is a separate issue, and likely deliberate from them, but that is nothing to do with bitching about them not posting anything here but using twitter instead, when they did post here.

Forums are for players. CCP posts in the news section on their website, in the devblog section on their website and in the updates section on their website.

We aren’t entitled to messages in the forum, when it is clear where CCP post, especially as the forums are one of the least used areas of CCPs services.

There’s nothing wrong with them posting news to a news section of their site, or with posting about things in the game to updates.

Expecting them to only use the forum is boomer level entitlement.

In the past they’ve announced events here in the forums, just because you constantly check their web site doesn’t mean everybody else does.

The only boomer level entitlement here is your reply.

1 Like

Rubbish.

Look in the Announcements section and you don’t need to scroll down too far to go back the full 2 1/2 year history of this forum, and they haven’t announced these events there.

Same for the devblogs, where they discuss devblogs, not when these events are happening.

You can go back to the old forum and look there too. Same thing for several years (although it is much harder these days to search on the old forums, so you just have to scroll back through the pages).

I have no entitlement other than what I agreed with CCP in the EULA (which doesn’t include anything about them posting events to the forum). I’m quite happy to look here, or to see a notification come up in my twitter feed or YouTube notifications when they post a new video, etc.

Maybe you don’t quite grasp the concept of entitlement.

You know the forum is part of their website right? It’s just a subdomain of the site.

That’s why CCP using socials is a good thing. Those platforms reach more people and push notifications to their users. By posting on social channels, CCP can reach more people without them having to come and wade through stupid posts on the forum.

And yet, even with your moaning about CCP posting information to twitter, they still posted here and you missed it. You are one of the more regular users of the eveonline domain, and you didn’t see the information posted. Why be angry at CCP to using channels that people do actually use?

The 21st century isn’t a scary place. Move with the times.

I never read the forums (only got here because I found it odd to be notified late) and I do not have a Twitter account. All the info I get from CCP comes from their emails. I know I miss a lot of stuff, and that is fine.
What I find unacceptable is to receive a communication that arrives late for its intended purpose, like the event email on Saturday. That is poor taste, poor planning and bad PR.
I won’t rage quit or threat CCP for some stupid SP, but it is astonishing to see supposedly adult people defending CCP’s handling of the situation. They dropped the ball. Accept it. Move on. You’ll have bigger wars to fight.

4 Likes

I also think their timing is crap, but that’s up to them.

But they posted information in the launcher (so anyone who logged in could see it), to eve updates, to their news (which has a feed out also), to twitter and facebook, and they sent emails.

Timing is crap, but maybe was to reward people who actually play, kind of like when you train a dog, you don’t give it treats every time. That way it doesn’t learn to expect them and it is more encouraged to obey, in the hope of getting a treat.

We are just all the pets in CCP’s approach, and I bet there is a psychology basis for it that is being applied by marketing.

The thing is, if you are trying to get people to log in, having a promotion to do so, but then only advertise it to people who ALREADY logged in… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

They are trying to get people to fear missing out on events and therefore incite them to log in obsessively, even in the absence of events.

2 Likes

Well theres a very easy way to avoid that.

Another official email from CCP that arrives one day after the event has started. :partying_face:

1 Like

can i have your event …
stuff?

No. It is soulbound.

How long until all items are soulbound and we can do away with the market completely?