Anti cloaking pulse blueprint

Local chat blocker (activate before taking gate) would be better… What’s the point of being cloaked if the bot warps off the second you enter system.

Personally, I’d love to see some changes to Local mechanics.

• High Sec can continue the way it is. Names appear immediately, b/c you’re required to stay registered with the authorities.
  • Low Sec would have your name appear immediately… if you entered the system through a Gate, b/c you had to register when you came through. If you Jump into the system, your name doesn’t appear until you speak in chat, or (complicated mechanic here) if you’re observed by the authorities. And even then, your name disappears after 15min, or if you’re noticed somewhere else. If you aren’t noticed, your name could remain in a system you already left. =)
  • Sov-less Null works like Wormholes. Nobody shows up unless they speak. And it disappears after 15 min.
  • Sov Null can turn Local functions back on with Sov mechanics. Then it operates like Low Sec. And the Sov holders can use Standings or Access Lists to choose which people do and do not appear in Local when they’re noticed. So you may jump into an “empty” system only to realize it’s FULL of angry locals.

Please no Marcus, us wormholers always get the shaft, don’t take the only stuff we have and give it to null

Because Sleeper loot and randomly rearranging exits, isn’t enough for you?

I’m pretty sure there’s a lot more to Wormholes besides “anonymous Local” =)

1 Like

What are these many counters please?

Also your response doesn’t give me the understanding of how this effects WH’s as a whole in in fact at all I must have missed or overlooked some aspect could you lay it out to me in simpler terms?

1 Like

Not sure if serious?

There’s a whole thread here which is full of info, you just have to be prepared to read and comprehend.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

yeah so there isn’t actually “many counters” or any at all to cloaky camping. You are referring to how to what to do after a drop, fear of a drop etc.

Mechanics wise there are no counters, you cannot counter someone from being cloaked and afk in your system. You can make plans for events following that etc but no actual counter.

Much like the ECM (except that had strengths you could increase to better protect) so they “ruined ECM” by allow an actual counter to the issue.

I am still interested to hear how this effects WH’s or ruins WH’s specifically. I like to try to understand the areas effected but so far I haven’t been enlightened to anything that would adversely effect WH play style by having a way to uncloak AFK campers if the item is tied to an Ihub or something.

1 Like

No, referring to countering them, but you’ll also note I said

And if that’s what you’ve come back with, it’s fair to assume you’ve done neither.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

Incorrect, I had read the article and because someone says the say thing over and over again (from both perspectives) doesn’t mean it is comprehensible. The same points are always made on both sides without and mechanical references to counters.

The base principle at play, IMO is that in Eve CCP is trying to stop afk play being effective for any gain. I do not think anyone who has a care for the game in its entirety would suggest that being able to cloak and hunt a target is OP. The issue is that someone can leave their computer on and a module active while having a huge effect to players. If someone wishes to be sat at their keyboard and play in that way, again I don’t think that is an issue.

I live in a place where Cloaky camping has little effect on our group, but that doesn’t mean I should hold the stance of it’s not effecting my play style so I don’t care, or the ones effected should get with a better group etc. There should be no mechanics that allow players to have an active and positive effect (to their agenda) while not being at the keyboard would you agree on that principle?

This is the main point I see from reading about this type of suggestion but it is always shunned away into a corner and never really addressed, skirting around the points like RL politicians avoiding a straight answer.

Should Eve online have any afk game mechanics that increase a players agenda?

2 Likes

And there you go repeating the same stuff over and over again, so I shall, once again, repeat the same stuff over and over again.

1. If they’re AFK they can have 0 (zero) affect to players.
  2. If they’re at the keyboard, you don’t think this is an issue.

So why do you think there is a problem?

Have you visited any null sec systems recently? AFK Ishtars/VNIs is a thing. And there are a number of other activities people manage to do afk, usually because they’re not very interesting once you have that activity ‘worked out’. Should automatic drone aggression be removed, so a player has to target every NPC they want to shoot?

The issue you have with “Anti-AFK enforcement policies” is this: How do you know if a player is AFK?

And before you say “Just have a timer”, ok, how long is an acceptable time to be AFK? Because now the activity becomes “AFK for X amount of time”. You see where this is going, right, because this has all been said before… but you know that cause you’ve read the thread.

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

1 Like

They do have an affect which is the point, Drop a cloaky in almost any sov null system and watch the ADM’s drop without being there, effecting players and subsequently having an effect. Having zero effect, is different from being able to affect players.

I agree that AFK VNI ratting is also and issue as was the Rorquals which have been getting addressed.

Yeah why not have EVE auto log off if no inputs have been sent to the server for an hour or so is this such a crazy bad idea? You will not get everything sorted with just this solution but parts?

1 Like

That is the issue with people, 50% are below average intelligence. That’s not the cloaked player, that’s everyone else in system making a choice. If someone decides to stop doing something, that’s they’re choice. If they decide to stop because of some perceived threat that may eventuate, well there’s not much chance of fixing that.

Seriously? So now the cloaky camper you’re so concerned about visits his KB every hour or so and double clicks in space (assuming he isn’t already sitting there at the keyboard watching youtube on a 2nd screen…) it does not solve anything.

I thought you said you’d read the thread?

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

1 Like

Likewise it seems your blinded as I may be, the issue with them being at the keyboard keeping it active isn’t a problem, the problem is them not being there so it solves those 50% that are not at the keyboard or maybe even more. those waiting and stalking are again not the issue so the scenario above isn’t whats it contention.

people make choices based on others actions so essentially you are confirming that yes a cloaking player does have an effect? it’s just that before you said they didn’t but now you are saying that the opposite is true.

I admit I may be blinded slightly as I do not like people having an effect on others while not being at the keyboard regardless on their “intelligence level” if it is 50% then that has the potential to be a significant part of the playerbase.

If that player hunting wishes to spend hours keeping himself active to achieve his kill or goal then it is well deserved.

it solves the afk cloaky campers, you are debating on the side of campers not afk just otherwise occupied.

1 Like

A few counters to cloaky camping of the top of my head:

1. Move to a different system.
  2. Mitigate your risk during pve with a cheaper ship and fit.
  3. Run sigs or escalations that have to be scanned so you can watch dscan for probes.
  4. Pay attention to when during the day the camper has activity on zkill. Do your pve when they are probably not around.
  5. Put out bait when they are likely to drop on it.
  6. Put a scout on or destroy the staging of the fleet that the campers call in.
  7. Accept that this is eve and you live in Nullsec. You are not entitled to 100% safety.
1 Like

I haven’t seen any of them as a actual counter to the mechanic, these are steps you can take to avoid a hunter granted. Number 7 is particularly funny as no one I think in the entirety of this post was looking for safety let alone 100%

1 Like

Yes, yes they are. No name in local = perfect safety, a name appearing means dock up = perfect safety.

1 Like

There is no counter to docking also.

The mechanic is not the problem, the attitude is the problem. Also, this is a discussion about the blueprint. If you want to discuss cloaky camping I suggest you use the proper thread.

3 Likes

I am shocked and amazed this thread has lasted this long without @ISD coming along and moving it into the dumpster fire that is the Cloaking superthread.

Cloaking is not a problem. Local immediately advertising new players is the problem. A cloaked ship cannot hurt you. But your own weakness upon seeing a new name in Local makes you want to run and hide.

Null Sec is dangerous space. There should not be a 100% guaranteed method of identifying an enemy in your region the instant they gate in. Null players should always remain vigilant, not pre-program Bot behavior to immediately dock up as soon as a strange face enters chat.

3 Likes

Just to fill in the argument:

An AFK cloaky camper cannot hurt you.

A cloaky camper who was afk, but now isn’t, can hurt you. (mostly through the medium of hot drops.)

The difference between an AFK cloaky camper, and one who has returned is, for the inhabitants of a system, the lighting of a cyno.

The people who point at wormholes, as to why cloaky campers aren’t bad, are studiously ignoring the cyno.

I, personally, dislike afk cloaky camping. It has an effect on people’s game play. Arguing it doesn’t is ignoring reality. The problem is how to deal with that, without screwing over valid gameplay. An on demand pulse would do that. If there was a spool up, that wouldn’t be so bad. Still has issues.

1 Like

Sure, I could go for this. As soon as we can upgrade wormholes by dropping citadel modules.