Any theories on why so many people have quit over the last 2 years?

Lol, no females… I wonder if the number still is as high as when used to be a whole whopping 3%… :smile:

2 Likes

s/j/b/

FTFY

Don’t worry, CCP has already given up on fixing it. Turned out to be too difficult for them.

1 Like

How dare you challenge my top spot as the one with the longest posts! GRRRRR!

:smiley:

That was some nice work! Well done!

PS i get the feeling most people didn’t read through and think it’s about permaband…

1 Like

I’m fine with that. Adaptations have already been done. I just hope bumping is kept alive enough to farm more tears.

What other activity in eve makes as much isk and farms as much tears as bumping? It really is an elite pvp activity.

1 Like

It used to be hard to play, now not really:

In 2017: you can travel alone in 0.0 without almost any risk
In 2005: travel alone in 0.0 would mean you would die 99,00% of the times. It was pretty much a death sentence

In 2017: People throw 1.2b isks ships away because it’s fun
In 2005: 1b isks was a fortune

In 2017: biggest alliances can field hundreds of super caps on field
In 2005: Alliances collapsed and lost everything because soemone managed to field 5 Dreadnaughts in battle

In 2017: everything it’s easy
In 2005: everything was hard

14 Likes

You do know that bumping away from tethering is allowed, I have a super kill due to this, he still had an aggression timer so he could not safe log which is the important part, also he did not have a safe spot right on top of the Citadel, but it was a panic warp.

1 Like

I was talking to guys yesterday who was talking about mining for a BS in frigates at the start of the game, so when this lot go on about hard core I laugh a lot…

2 Likes

Satisfaction > Fun.

Yeah I am aware that you can bump them while tethered. We killed a Titan this last week doing so.

The point is that tethering is a terrible mechanic that provides almost certain safety as long as you aren’t a complete moron. Having to rely on someone being almost completely brain dead for you to catch and kill them doesn’t make for good content.

1 Like

Your success shows that many people are brain dead because that is how you have been successful.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s most of why. Due to how the mechanics work I’m putting them in a position of helplessness. They either think I’m bluffing or that they are actually going to die. I intentionally paint a scenario and drive the conversation to where them getting ganked is a very real possibility. If they happen to be in this situation and also carrying a great deal of value, then it can be even easier to fall victim.

So in short I would mostly attribute their death to an ignorance of mechanics, absolute fear or desperation, and lastly being brain dead.

Edit: To stay on topic with all the trolling I’ve been doing. I am positive I have been part of people’s reason for unsubbing, but I think the issue is much deeper than griefing, ganking, and scamming. If players start playing expecting a WoW-type MMO then they are almost certain to leave. Eve is a special game and shouldn’t cater to everyone, especially casuals. CCP is to blame in all this for poor content among other things.

1 Like

Your hypothesis that Permaband songs foreshadow the direction/emphasis in EVE game play and server population leads me to suspect that a new Permaband song will debut at EVEvegas this year that best reflects the way the game is going in the future. In honor of the drain of company resources toward VR games and the introduction of Omega/Alpha clones, Permaband will offer a cover of the Dire Straits classic as : Money for nothing and get d*cked for free.:notes:

At least the new forums are becoming a bit more vigorous than it was.

2 Likes

Thankyou, but I’m glad I didn’t have a mouthful of food when I read this and burst out laughing…

3 Likes

What do you use it for. If it’s just a central place for the corp to congregate you know you don’t have to spend any fuel on it right, meaning six months down the line it’s vastly cheaper than a POS.
Hell, they aren’t really any more expensive than a POS to start with. Not by any order of magnitude, and if you are quibbling over 1 bil vs 2 bil, then you are just fussing.

These are deliberate design points, and the reasons for them have been endlessly hashed out. The immunity of POS to wardecs was considered a bad thing by almost everyone, as it meant that in highsec they couldn’t have any significant bonuses. Now CCP should have given them matching bonuses to reflect the fact that they were at risk and have weaker defence in highsec already to balance the need for a wardec. But really, you needed weekly mining fleets for a POS too. And they are perfectly fine for smaller corps providing those corps are organised.

These quotes perfectly illustrate why older pilots leave though. Because they are too focused on their wants and don’t understand why the game design needs to change in points for the overall health of gameplay.

1 Like

Yes you have been behind some people leaving Eve but in truth that does not bother me, the issue is when you have naff mechanisms that make it so people see the game mechanics are against them., which is a much greater issue.

That was the case when all of the mining ships had the tank of a wet paper bag, I told CCP they were making a mistake and they did not listen. They must have thought it funny until all those casuals started un-subbing that is, but with all those people joining because of big headline battles they did not notice, until they started drifting away too due to the terrible situation in 0.0 with Dominion…

I keep pointing out the issue with bumping, it is OK to lose stuff and lose to better players, but if you lose because of naff mechanics then that is a problem with the game.

And bumping is one of those, I will never forget one guy who was bumped for a couple of hours, we told him to get a DStT and empty the freighter of valuable stuff, thankfully he could and did. Once he did that he left the freighter to die by logging. But before he left he ranted at CCP for this goddam awful game design, not at the gankers, not at the bumper, but at CCP. If you lot cannot see that as an issue then there is no hope for you.

Do you know what I did, I made sure we saved his freighter even though Gobby was really trying to kill it. And do you know what happened, he left the game, because of that mechanism., not because he was ganked, but because it was just so stupid to him, and he was paying a subscription too.

So run around thinking oh it is a WOW mentality if it keeps you in your comfort zone or that you say to make someone feel small or at least you think it will make them feel small, hint it does not.

5 Likes

You aren’t as helpless as a bumped freighter as you make it out to be. How do you think I would fare if my freighter were seriously being bumped?

I think you would just wait until the bumper got bored, as you said it is down to fear of being ganked by Miniluv, you don’t have that fear… and the few PL / PH / Russian ganks are very few in number. In other words you would know the bumper was bluffing…

1 Like

hey, sorry, stupid side question:

do you have a freighter flying alt?

That’s definitely an option, but I’m equipped and skilled enough to counter-bump myself into warp. That and I’m capable of ganking the Machariel.

Of course I do. How do you think I scoop all my donations from other freighter pilots?