Any theories on why so many people have quit over the last 2 years?

Don’t know what their problem is. I’m Han Solo. You can be Han Solo too. It just takes a bit of practice. The problem is that kids want their cake and they want it now. I loved the idea of coming into the game massively out gunned and at a severe disadvantage. I knew if i was smart and worked at it that advantage would slip away. All of the best memories i have of playing vodeo games are from EVE. Now days i wonder if i didn’t start playing eve years ago would i give it a try today? I just dont know.

10 Likes

You’re probably not, though. Are you space rich? You’re not Han Solo. Do you have good killboard numbers? Not Han Solo. If you’re Han Solo, you’d rather run than fight every single time (unless you need a dramatic plot point). Don’t get me wrong, you can totally be Han Solo in this game and you can do it on an alpha clone, but there’s really not a lot of content for you and no way for you to demonstrate what a great Han Solo you are because you’ll be space poor with no kb stats.

4 Likes

it bothersme a lot, that CCP deliberately attracts so many wanna be Han Solos, who cry bloody murder as soon as an actual Han Solo comes and shows them that they’re actually just Gungans.

4 Likes

I do have more isk than i am likely to ever spend. My killboard is fairly respectable for a solo pilot. But when i say I’m Han Solo I’m referring to what really matters. I’m ruggedly handsome, a skilled pilot, pessimistic, I don’t trust anyone, my friends can count on me when it counts, spent plenty of time ducking the law, I even have a freakishly hairy best friend. So yeah, I’m Han Solo.

6 Likes

han solo isnt pessimistic havent you heard his catchphrase
never tell me the odds

4 Likes

Wanna be Han Solo in EvE?

Teach your son how to play.
We all know how that ends.

–Gadget the Seer

15 Likes

This is ths logical reason if you think what has really changed in the past 7-5 years. It is MAKING THE VILLIANS UNWANTED AND NERFED. That is the only change

Yep. Alphas, FozzieSov and Citadels aren’t really changes. More like emergent developer features they just managed to sneak in between all the VILLIAN NERFS.

5 Likes

I’m talking about Han Solo as a type of game play, not whether you personally are able to roleplay as a fatter version of him, Ham Solo. Firefly would be another example. You can play a marginal trader/smuggler/opportunist, sort of, in low sec, but it gets boring very quickly because there’s almost nothing to do, as I keep rediscovering every few years when I resub.

There’s interesting gameplay for empire builders, market cornerers, and fighty mcshoots, but one of the most iconic character types in science fiction is sadly unsupported. I’m not saying it should be supported, but I am saying we shouldn’t be surprised when people come to a space game looking for that kind of game play and leave when they don’t find it.

2 Likes

Lol You should probably just admit to yourself you make a terrible Han Solo and move on. It’s not such a bad thing anyways. If you find more opportunities in other play styles it’s probably because it suits you better. You can be pretty much anything you want to be in this game. Have you looked in the fiction section of the forums. There’s some really weird rp going on about damaged flower beds and sticking something in some woman unknowingly. If people can do that, they can be Han Solo too. It’s really not a big deal.

1 Like

I always love it when discussions of why a game is losing players turn into discussions of why players just aren’t good enough for the game. This game gets boring if you don’t care about empires, spreadsheets, or killboards, end of story.

And yes, I did once accidentally open an IGS thread and I wish I could unsee it.

10 Likes

People quit because of the toxic, cruel, vicious community.

Look at these forums. A week ago, they were fresh and new. Now they’re filled with the same old same old ****-talk.

I started Eve 11 years ago. I have taken long breaks multiple times, usually because of the community. People can be just unspeakably cruel.

21 Likes

Han: “Punch it, Chewie!”

Chewbacca: (opens Excel) “Raaaawr!”

14 Likes

Eve does have a way of weeding out certain players. I always believed it was all for the better. I’ve never really cared about what nullsec was doing. I’ve never used a spreadsheet. And though I do check my killboard it’s mostly to recap what i have learned. One of the first pirate corps i joined was full of guys who only wanted to sit in a bs at a gate with a lachesis all day. When the meta shifted to shield canes and podla drakes they were left behind. They stopped undocking and eventually quit. I found new challenges to keep my interest. I adapted. They didn’t. Did CCP do something wrong? No. Could CCP have done something to retain these players? Why would they want to?

2 Likes

I did forget to address the exciting new content they added during my last hiatus. Now you can run your very own space Walmart. This I am sure is very appealing to fans of sci-fi classics like Supermarket Manager of Orion and Mars Needs Mangoes. Wooooo, space adventure!

6 Likes

For me… I just burned out after 5 years. I tried to PLEX my account but the PVE to make that happen consistantly is just too much work. I used to play in a large group but my current RL doesn’t allow me to play for hours on end. Not sure what CCP can do to pull a guy like me into the game. You can’t expect me to enjoy this game as much as 5 years ago, yet the prince to play stays consistent. At some point any activity loses a cost-benefit analysis.

7 Likes

A lot of it boils down to this. The people that play the game these days are garbage and unimaginative. They all join massive blocs to fight other massive blocs and basically act like drones. Back in the day there were actual talented, imaginative people who played this game.

12 Likes

reasons players leave…

1. some not into the hardcore side of the game,

2. some simply cant stand griefing that’s going on in the game. all of that HTFU attitude has cost you subs and active players… enjoy your isolation now, you made your bed now lay in it…imho

3. microtransactions… eve became p2w… bottom line it has… its a wake up call.

4. some really don’t give a chit about how many kills you have, just as long as you’re having fun, that’s the orginal thought process right?? fun remember that word?

5. Controversial changes to the game which benefit one side of a player demographic

6. Lack of thoughtful, meaningful balance passes with clear thought process on keeping the game steady, ccp tried rolling out patches on a tighter schedule, failed miserably and had to go back constantly repairing chit, they ended up breaking… folks will eventually get tired of your product if you cant ever get it right, especially in the game design world. you’re releasing half arsed patches and semi-broken features where you repeat the cycle over and over again, fixing chit that should not be broken seems you(ccp) have this attitude of well… we know its broke and we’ll fix it later… sorry boys and girls that’s an incredible dismissal and lack of quality work…

7. New player retention is god awful, because again you allowed only those hardcore pvp only maniacs drive the vehicle… that’s why folks leave… you need a better approach and cater to a developing player… yes eve is harsh but that also holds it back some times… can ccp even count above 65K active players online anymore?? its a wake up call. can eve online even manage to break its own record again??.. it hasn’t… nuf said.

8. Everything is becoming an isk sink, spend spend spend, more more more explosions… they (ccp) want that because they know those impulsive players will reach for a refill card …err I mean a EA Plex card…oops did it again…well you get my point.

9. it takes ccp far too long to come out with exclusive content which then gets eaten alive on day 1 from vets…lol. so the new chit becomes boring after day 3, the vets will fuss about new players getting central attention. which took ccp 6 months to develop and roll out…ffs go hire john smedley he has the best experience when it comes to releasing a proper NPE…ok let me slap myself and drink bleach for saying that…lol

10. PVE CONTENT- this is a huge section where work is obviously finally being done to make better, redo all level class missions in high-sec, force the players to run missions into null sec… move l4 missions to nullsec… why does a freaking keepstar require mission terminals to be built… when there are no mission agents in null sec… its chit like this that needs to be expanded upon…also there is not enough content for Supers and Titans… especially Titans. the end game is forming a blob with these class ships and fighting in tidi like what… a few times a year?? fix the end game, expand the end game… bring on T2/T3 Capital ships!! show the world that eve online is huge and has a gigantic following!!

once upon a time new eden once held this battle which actually made front page news on CNN… all over digital spaceships…, that was an amazing achievement… at the cost of $220,000… but that kind of news is Eve Online…the other half of eve is the friendships, the relationships we each have in-game and out of game… its about the broadcast for reps people, its our military vets getaway, its our vile rats and our memorials for lost friends… that is the core of eve online… explain this to new players ccp… tell the story and allow us to tell our stories…that in a nutshell could help retain new players…

just my little 2 cents… wrote this while im at work, making bank cause that’s what I do and im a baller like that… no fawks given
o7

15 Likes
6 Likes

Everybody and their cat tried the game, played it and now waits for Star Citizen. :wink:

13 Likes

Right? Exactly my thought…All my friends who are into space games have tried it, some left quickly, others played it for few years, but in the end they left me alone. Now I am but a station ghost, looking at the markets, reading chats and forums…

I wanted to join some big null alliance and go pew pew mode, but I guess I’ve become too lazy to commit myself anymore. I just don’t feel like playing any game, is this the middle age crisis? :smiley:

9 Likes