[ARC] Lirsautton resolution solicitation for comment

I have refrained from making my opinions on the subject public out of respect for the sensitive nature of this incident until the recent compromise agreement brokered by the Ensinate of Central Garoun, which I personally feel for now is the best outcome out of this situation for the time being. That said, I am not a citizen of the Federation, and the thoughts and points made below are that of a foreigner’s perspective.

I have been following this for a long time, and the circumstances that have arisen strike me as awfully reminiscent of the days leading up to The Secession. A member state is discovered to have been conducting themselves in a manner that could be seen as contrary to the spirit and laws of the Federation, public outrage ensues, the member state cites their sovereignty to defend and justify their actions. Days gone by, in an era of a different Federation, we might have seen them intervene with hard power applied by the Federal Combined Armed Forces to enact regime change. Wars have started over far less, and what the Sang Do have collectively committed amounts to an egregious violation of the Federal Constitution, one of the most sacrosanct and inviolable documents that the Federation has. Something has to be done, lest the Federation lose the very essence that makes it the Federation. To them, the Charter and the Constitution represent a beacon of hope and progressiveness towards a better, brighter future, and to see one of their member states engaged in such outrageous actions douses that beacon with the brackish waters of an odious sea.

But no. Unlike several centuries ago, the Federation has not committed its considerable fleets of starships or its legions of troops to correct the aberration within its borders by force of arms. It has chosen to respect the caveats that led to the Jin-Mei to accede to the Federation, and to favour diplomacy over direct action, in the hopes that a settlement can be reached without blood being shed. What changed? The Federation, of course. To them, life is sacred, to be cherished and protected. And to see their society and governmental apparatus evolve over the centuries to respect the independence and freedom of their people is simply fascinating. So much that states have surrendered parts of their national sovereignty to be part of the Federation, desiring the same benefits and protections that so many others have sought and received.

This is why this situation must be handled by the Federation with the utmost sensitivity and delicate care. The ties that bind the member states to the Federal government must not be compromised to the extent where distrust spreads again, whether that manifests as a result of Federal overreach or inaction. The Ensinate have offered a wise and statesmanlike approach and solution to this crisis, temporary as it may be in nature, to take the exiles into their care. I can only hope that these men and women, as they all committed crimes in some form including some as heinous as murder, repay this international effort to secure their physical and mental safety through significant efforts to reform themselves and contribute to the society that provided them their salvation. Despite its endorsement by some whom I personally distrust and dislike, option 3 for now is the only realistic option on the table.

As for a more permanent resolution to the issue of a member state violating the Charter and the Constitution…

Well, the Federation has endured and adapted to numerous flashpoints over the span of its existence and through it all has survived, thrived and persevered to the present day. It will survive this trial, it must. Lest they lose the very soul and spirit of what they are in this world.

4 Likes