[ARC] Semiosis

Had you been following the works of the Arataka Consortium you’d known the Drifters went into abyssal deadspace.The Triglavians were there all along for thousands of years there’s no sign they came to known space there’s only fotage of drifters attacking triglavians in abyssal deadspace

Oy, keep your assumptions to yourself. We have no way of knowing if that footage, which we’ve all seen, was the first insertion by either party into the other’s territory. We’re certainly getting more and more reason to believe the Triglavians could’ve gone to Anoikis themselves, and we’re all fools if we’re certain the five Drifter Systems we’ve seen are the extent of their holdings in Anoikis.

The most important thing to remember in speculative subjects like these is that nothing is absolute. Even what you are most certain of is subject to change by new information.

All of this just makes me think how ill-prepared we are for instances like this, and what other kind of unknowns exist that we have yet to become aware of.

If we assume Caroline’s Star to be a control hub for the network, then it could be that Thera was the routing point for it. Then 5 Drifter wormholes linking to the Epicenters in shattered systems. Which gives 15 holes per Drifter wh. That should be enough to provide a routable network. As long as the static connections were fixed then you could get pretty much anywhere. The Drifters appear to have some degree of control over how their holes function. Connections are limited, holes have a life of about 5 hours, but the number of connections can vary immensely, from half a dozen up to 30 or more.

((OOC interjection: we don’t know about the Dyson Swarm, though we could hypothesize about it; only the Directorate and the SOCT know of it for certain.))

The Triglavian Collective AT LARGE absolutely only first encountered the Drifters in the modern era when they advanced into the Abyss, which they likely reached using the Nexus found in each Drifter-occupied complex in their systems we have access to. AEA streams describe the encounter, and the Collective’s immediate unanimous response to something they know as an “ancient enemy”.

The Nexus Gates near-absolutely acted as a midwaypoint between Caroline’s Star and the Abyss. The massive energies of the Caroline’s Star event were seemingly the catalyst for the ripping open of the polar space-time vortex points in the Nexus zones, as well as are reason for the scattering of the many pylons that originally seem to have comprised a single massive transit structure.

The energies of Caroline’s Star are also obviously linked with the Epicenters found in every shattered wormhole system (excluding the Drifter ones, in which the Nexus is the substitute), and the channeling of W477-P’s massive nova through the now inoperable Talocan navgational infrasturucture found in the Epicenters (and through the Nexus infrastructure) into each system’s Star catalyzed the resulting mass ejections that destroyed the inner planets of each shattered system.

Comparing this to the Seyllin event, we can draw the conclusion that it as well was catalyzed through Anoikis Network infrastructure; each of the affected stars in New Eden underwent a linear mass ejection in the direction of this infrastructure, which likely relied on the Type A0 stars for operation - using Isogen-5. This event in our space was channeled through the whole of the then-closed Anoikis Network, obviously causing damage to it and beginning the generation of the unstable wormholes we’ve become so familiar with.

7 Likes

The thoughtlines at this point, for me, become:

• Did the Drifters mastermind Seyllin?

• Did Seyllin occur sooner than they wished, before they could emerge?

• Did Caroline’s Star re-enable their plans to be carried out, allowing them to give chase to those who call them “ancient enemy”, who had locked themselves in the Abyss without a way for anyone else to get in?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure we are very close on the operation and destruction of it.

I think it was Rogue Drones that were spotted gathering Iso-5? It could have been accidental, them trying to manipulate the network. They were certainly in the Abyss before filaments appeared, although I still have my suspicions about the origin of the filaments.

They say progress is often made possible only by ability to ask the right questions, so I would add some of my own, if I may:

How long have been Drifters around?
Are Drifters Jovian?
Are they human at all?
Since Triglavian refer to them as Ancient Enemy Azdaja, they presumably have long history with them. Could Drifters be the reason Triglavian moved out to the Abyss?
What Drifters actually want in Abyss? Revenge (?) on Triglavians, resources or something else?

Quick answers, in order:

First three questions: The Drifters may be Tyrants from the Second Jove Empire, otherwise we have no clue.

Fourth question: Maybe…?

Fifth question: We have no clue.

I’ve heard rumors of that as well, though I hesitate to make a call on it - multiple groups have been shown to have made dealings or have controlled rogue drones, and I’m curious about what they may mean in the lens of the Drone Region Gates event. The disseminated Code Aria Inquiry describes a single unknown vessel on the Drone Regions side of one of the gates reactivating them and pushing itself through by slaving the stargate’s systems to itself - might that have a relation to other strange events in New Eden?

As for the Filaments, my deduction by now is that they are Triglavian constructions whichs’ function is to bring users into the Proving loop; they allow us to use them and gather more, in order to gauge our flow.

1 Like

Based on where we get our Calm Filaments, and what we know about Triglavian intentions for the Proving process, I think we can make a reasonable further deduction that Calm Filaments are being planted in New Eden and Anoikis for us to find, to initiate and facilitate the Proving process.

1 Like

YC116 is when they were first detected. [ARC] Drifter Crisis history repository

Makoto Priano generally refers to them as meat puppets, and I concur. To me they appear to be corpses that have been ‘rewired’ with nanotech of some description and then used under some kind of remote or distributed control system.

The Drifter/Triglavian connection appears to hark back to the Tyrants of the Second Jovian Empire, that we really know very little about. The data we have managed to access so far, and pretty much from the new Triglavian message system, seems to indicate that the Triglavians were either a part of, or contemporary with that period and escaped to the Abyss around that time. Presumably because of the actions of the Tyrants, although the actual events are still unknown.

In my opinion its resource based, I see Drifters either scanning for, or harvesting resources. The one fear I have is that we will see improved Drifter vessels using mutaplasmid technology.

2 Likes

Yes, the whole Code Aria situation raises a pile of questions.

Indeed… who wants to bet that “single unknown vessel” is a design we’ve all seen before?

2 Likes

Personally I have my suspicions about some elements of the Sisters of Eve and the SOCT.

The SOCT have made a very brief comment about the Triglavians but nothing much at all. The SoE have been silent on it.

2 Likes

@Lirbiss_Naraunt I agree on that assertion - asking questions is the only way to find answers.

How long have been Drifters around?

In another form from their current cyberenhanced meat puppet iteration, likely since some time during or after the end of the Second Jove Empire; we know the Sleepers likely left New Eden at that time, as the most recent of their infrastructure dates to the same era - afterwards which they slumbered and, over many years, crumbled.

Are Drifters Jovian?

Yes. For certain, physically. Their bodies are Jove, regardless of their enhancements -which are also Sleeper tech-derived. They also fashion their operational structure around the Second Empire’s governing faction, the Tyrants. The Sleepers’ bodies began to decay; if they wanted to leave, they’d need new ones. I think the most logical conclusion is that the Drifters, as 2E survivors, have emerged from their virtual slumber and wish to be something resembling their race’s past glory again.

Are they human at all?

Again, yes - regardless of their strange silence, their bodies and brains (along with the much older sleeper implants found in their heads) are human, and their infomorphs thus must be compatible with this human form; the infomorphs come from the Sleeper VR, and if they aren’t the minds of some group of members of the enclaves themselves, they are at least something they’d have been familiar with - something that’d have to be on a human level of consciousness.

Since Triglavian refer to them as Ancient Enemy Azdaja, they presumably have long history with them. Could Drifters be the reason Triglavian moved out to the Abyss?

I absolutely see that as a possibility; the Drifters are now chasing them, having gained access to the Abyss, and the Collective unanimously agrees that they must be expelled. If a threat forced them in there, I’d say that threat would be whoever became the Drifters.

What Drifters actually want in Abyss? Revenge (?) on Triglavians, resources or something else?

Possibly all three - but I recall the records and whispers of the foundation of the Second Empire here, where the First Tyrant Miko Bour united all of the Jove under his faction. Those Jove enclaves who didn’t want to join the Second Jove Empire were forced to. What it this new faction modeling themselves after the Tyrants has a similar goal, to restore the Jove race to the heights the Tyrants once reached?

5 Likes

So, lining up that last insinuation with a few others we’ve gotten from Triglavian data intercepts, here’s the broad-strokes picture of the past:

The Triglavians, whatever form they had at the time, were a contemporary, if not a member group, of the Second Empire. This is when the Sleepers were still active, from what we know- this is when the Jove were actively present in Anoikis. There was conflict, though. Someone resisted the Tyrants. This insurrection must have been quelled… but some group got away, slipped out into the vast reaches of space, and made do with the new home they found. This new home was the Abyss, or the Domain of Buyan, and this culture, whoever or whatever they were then… we know them today as the Triglavian Collective.

5 Likes

I agree, with the caveat that the Trigs may have instead left at the same time as the Sleepers - at the end of the Second Empire, during its violent and absolute collapse, pursued by an ancient enemy.

2 Likes

Pretty much. We now know they used Ziteh ships for the escape, what isn’t clear is who they actually were, and if they live in the Abyss. It seems like Buyan might well be outside the weather effects, but we don’t know if its a planetary colony or some kind of space based facility. The Sansha footage appears to be outside the Abyssal pockets.