[ARC] Triglavian Stellar Accelerator - Triglavian structures outside abyssal deadspace

It’s a what? The Nestor is a right bastard both attacking enemies and as remote rep. Its tank is unforgiving, as largely demonstrated by Verin just now.

And then there’s its impact on one’s ISK balance, which it destroys just as easily…

The Nestor’s a joke.

I … think your tactical environment might usually be a little different from ours, Arrendis.

2 Likes

Which is why I asked what the specific reasons for the Nestor are.

As a general evaluation:

The signature radius on the Nestor is typical of its class, which means incoming fire is difficult to evade. The base hull is slower, sans plates, than a triple-plated Dominix. The range on the remote repair capabilities—one of the Nestor’s ‘strengths’—is so short as to mean the ship has to move in lockstep with the rest of the fleet. An afterburner on the hull takes long enough to spool up as to make the module itself useless, precisely because of those range limitations and the mass differential between the Nestor and everything else. A MWD blooms the signature of the ship up to the size of a capital ship. All of this comes together into a package that, if any movement is needed or any serious incoming fire is expected, would need God’s own tank to be useful.

And it doesn’t have that. The tank, at best, is fairly typical for a battleship. And that’s using the full 8-slot array of lows for tank, which nothing else would bother doing. The niche uses for the Nestor almost always involve situations where the hull can sit perfectly still, or those where the low mass is a significant benefit. Unfortunately, that low mass is also a major weakness for a ship so incredibly dependent on a capacitor-spider to maintain operations, and close proximity to the rest of the fleet for its usefulness: a Stabber can bump it well out of its useful envelop without much difficulty, at which point, it’s basically dead.

So-- I’ve never personally flown a Nestor. But I see them a lot. They’re a staple of highsec warfare, and often appear as a mercenary company’s logistics wing-- or an entire fleet. They seem to be fiddlier to use than Guardians, but they make up in survivability what they lack in user-friendliness. Triglavians don’t miss as often as Drifters, so we’ve been needing that.

And they have teeth of their own, so, there’s that.

In an invasion defense fleet, we keep things pretty tight; the fleet doesn’t normally fan out very far, and over time it’s become particularly clear that we need heavy tank more than we need mobility. Not long ago we were regularly winding up in situations where Guardians were in serious danger from focused Triglavian fleet fire, and losses weren’t rare. Since we started fielding Nestors instead, it’s been a lot easier going.

But, maybe at some point the Triglavians will learn to bump.

2 Likes

Like while fighting Triglavian invasions, wherein the enemy helpfully warps directly to you.

Which would be why:

Captain Arrendis,

The reason why the Nestor was chosen has it’s origin in necessity. When ARC started to run fleet operations against the Triglavian invasions, we struggled to get sufficient pilots. With the increase in firepower from both the roaming fleets and the Triglavian forces at the conduits, we needed a stronger logistical platform. The Nestor gave us the means to keep the fleets going, without needing to increase the required number of pilots.

Though the Nestor is nowhere near as nimble and mobile as the Guardian, this is well compensated by the sheer power it offers as a logistical platform. ARC fleets turned this into a strenght as the Triglavians forces seemed to realise they had destroy the Nestor before they could have any chance of defeating our fleets.
This allowed us to draw their fire to the Nestor that was the most active. By switching the amount of activity between our Nestors, we could trick the Triglavian forces to switching their fire between them. As an added bonus, each time they switched target, their weapons firepower would reset. It became a very effective way to handle the incomming firepower.

We no longer consider this tactic to be effective anymore as the Triglavian forces seemed to have changed their tactics. They might initially focus on the Nestors but they will switch their focus on other ships in the fleet.

Regards,
DutchGunner
(ARC Fleet Commander)
(CONCORD Loyalist)

6 Likes

I am currently orbiting one of the Triglavian Stellar Accelerators in Tzashrah at approx 15km, but see no movements from it, Current distance from the sun is 413,500km’s. True locally we have just had a Triglavian Invasion and I assume this has been left here from it as I have not seen it here before. My orbiting ship is a small Thrasher vessel, and I have opened fire on the structure to see if anything responds. Its shields are below 85% and still no response. It repairs its shields quite slowly so I assume a larger vessel would have more impact on the structure. A friend showed up in a Raven and killed it using Inferno missiles. He retrieved only 9 zero-point field manipulators from the structure. His comment “Lame”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.